20 / 25 L cubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kingy said:
Get a couple fresh wort kits comes with a free cube.
On a related topic, (well OT really) does anyone know how to manipulate BS so that a recipe can be "scaled" to make a 15l cube that can be watered down to 20l for fermenting like the wort kits you buy?
Dave

I've found that the G&G wort kits are the perfect size cube for me because I brew higher gravity and IBUs then top it off with 4l of water. That way I get enough to fill a keg with barely any wastage.

I just calculate the brew as 21l, but add 4l less water. Everything else the same. It's probably not perfect but it's pretty bloody close.

With the bigger cubes there's always a fair bit more than a keg. I could bottle it but it's a pain (unless it's a brew specifically with that in mind).

Until someone comes out with a cube that fits 21l when filled to the top I think I'll stick with this way. Having said that my white bunnings 20l cube is getting soft enough that I can squeeze heaps of air out now when it's not that full, I should measure the volume...

dblunn said:
On a related topic, (well OT really) does anyone know how to manipulate BS so that a recipe can be "scaled" to make a 15l cube that can be watered down to 20l for fermenting like the wort kits you buy?
Dave
Not wholly in BS, but when I did BIAB I'd design the recipe in Beersmith to get 21L or so into the fermenter and then used the maxi-BIAB calculator to scale it to fit in my 19L Big W pot and 15l cube. Worked well, if a bit of a faff.

SBOB said:
where did you see this?
it's in their fathers day catalogue. just checked again and sale starts on 20th August.

Thanks for the replies fellas. It would be good if there were something in BS to make it easier. I have a heap of the 15~17 l cubes from old wort kits that would be just the thing if only it was as simple as scaling a reciepe using a button on BS and not risking a brew with experimentation. Anyway, I'll have a play with the methods suggested.
Regards, Dave

dblunn said:
Thanks for the replies fellas. It would be good if there were something in BS to make it easier. I have a heap of the 15~17 l cubes from old wort kits that would be just the thing if only it was as simple as scaling a reciepe using a button on BS and not risking a brew with experimentation. Anyway, I'll have a play with the methods suggested.
Regards, Dave
Not really the solution you're after - but I often use brewtoad for mucking around with recipes. It's got an option to scale the recipe on the "Batch & Boil" tab. So if it's not too much trouble you can copy into brewtoad, scale, and copy back to beersmith.

Brewtoad is a really handy, nice looking, easy to use online brew software and I used to highly recommend it... but now you can only have 5 recipes as a freeloader, and it's asking something like US$20 a year for subscription. So meh... I'd probably go $5 a year, but for $20 I might as well buy beersmith forever.

SBOB said:
where did you see this?
I saw this in the mail-out catalogue too (Perth - usually SCA is aussie-wide tho)

I havent gone down yet, but might grab one or two. Any problem with using these blue coloured ones for no-chill? dont want blue beer.

dblunn said:
Regards, Dave
Following on with the brewtoad option, I use Brewmate for calculating/scaling recipes. I brew 10-12L batches at the moment and with Brewmate I just bung the recipe in and at the volume the recipe calls for, then once the grain bill, hop schedule, etc is in I just alter the volume tab and it auto adjusts quantities.

I'd be surprised if BS doesn't have this option somewhere, maybe fire them an email to sort it out?

it appears bunnings have dropped their prices on these also (possibly to compete with the supercheap auto catalogue?)

Bunnings:
25L cubes - $17.39 (was $24.98 last week)
25L round - $17.39 (was $21.98 last week)

30L fermenter - $25.98 (hasnt changed... and isnt in the supercheap catalogue)

efactor said:
Following on with the brewtoad option, I use Brewmate for calculating/scaling recipes. I brew 10-12L batches at the moment and with Brewmate I just bung the recipe in and at the volume the recipe calls for, then once the grain bill, hop schedule, etc is in I just alter the volume tab and it auto adjusts quantities.

I'd be surprised if BS doesn't have this option somewhere, maybe fire them an email to sort it out?
That's good, i installed brewmate the other day but haven't really got to play with it much yet.

That will probably relegate brewtoad to noodling recipes down from my mobile or at work, until I can put them into brewmate.

Latest posts

Back