20 / 25 L cubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mofox1

Wubba lubba dub dub!
Reaction score
Now that the big green shed has stopped selling white cubes, does anywhere (ie readily available big chain store) still stock them?

Otherwise, any issues with the blue ones? I just don't seem to want to use them...

I have seen them in my local "Supa Cheap Auto" but they are or were around twice the price than going to a manufacturer.
I think I paid around $8.00 each for 20 litre ones from memory.

Many people use the blue ones without incident provided that they are the food grade quality.
I like the white square type ones as they stack on top of each other in the frdge.

Yeah its really annoying that bunnings have stopped stocking the regular ones. I suppose there's nothing wrong with the blue ones (in fact I've bought a few and am using them) but much prefer the normal cube style. Plus the blue tall skinny ones are harder to stack and store.

I buy mine from the market, they once contained pineapple concentrate, $5.00 a throw.

Batz

Plasdene sell the dangerous goods HDPE (not drilled) with lid for around $8.50 but you have to buy a minimum of $75 per order (can add other products into order ie fermenters / buckets /bottles)
Their lids are HDPE as well
I have noticed some cubes around town that are HDPE but the lids are only PVC

http://www.plasdene.com.au/

Cheers

mofox1 said:
Now that the big green shed has stopped selling white cubes, does anywhere (ie readily available big chain store) still stock them?

Otherwise, any issues with the blue ones? I just don't seem to want to use them...
Have used a 10L blue no chill cube from bunnings several times all without issue. Plastic seems a bit softer than the white when hot, but no off flavours so far to my taste buds.

I have purchased cubes from BCF in the past.

I almost exclusively use the blue cubes. No problem here. I don't ferment in them, they're only used to store wort, so the fact that I can't stack them isn't really an issue.

Im wary of the blue ones. Has the bung at the bottom which is very roughly drilled, in my ones at least. Bunnings have the same style cube under jerry cans. Its the exact same as the blue one but no bung and red instead of blue. Verified its the same material and construction is the same with a call to manufacturer.
I opened the bung and got some gunk in there. That and the poorly drilled hole with sharp raggedy edges was enough for me to abandon the blue ones.

Cube Photo 1.JPG

Cube Photo 2.JPG

Cube Photo 3.JPG

Cube Photo 4.JPG

Kingy said:
Get a couple fresh wort kits comes with a free cube.
Haha - that's where my existing supply of 16L cubes come from. They're handy for smaller batches, but I don't have any suitable for between 15 & 30L.

If anyone wants to trade some 20 or 25's for some 16's?....

Lemon said:
I have purchased cubes from BCF in the past.
Cheers, they still them for $30 at the moment, which is a bit steep. Bit it is close if I just need one.

wide eyed and legless said:
http://www.peopleinplastic.com.au/Form/plastic-pails-containers-brisbane

People on Plastic. Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney. They sell the heavy duty dangerous goods cubes for a reasonable price.
Coalminer said:
Plasdene sell the dangerous goods HDPE (not drilled) with lid for around $8.50 but you have to buy a minimum of $75 per order (can add other products into order ie fermenters / buckets /bottles)
Their lids are HDPE as well
I have noticed some cubes around town that are HDPE but the lids are only PVC

http://www.plasdene.com.au/

Cheers
Thanks guys, I've seen these two places mentioned before - not terribly local, but I occasionally go out Preston way for full pint pickups.
Good to know the $75 doesn't have to be all the same item.. Might pick up a 60L fermenter at the same time if I go for them.

dave doran said:
Im wary of the blue ones. Has the bung at the bottom which is very roughly drilled, in my ones at least. Bunnings have the same style cube under jerry cans. Its the exact same as the blue one but no bung and red instead of blue. Verified its the same material and construction is the same with a call to manufacturer.
I opened the bung and got some gunk in there. That and the poorly drilled hole with sharp raggedy edges was enough for me to abandon the blue ones.

attachicon.gif
Cube Photo 1.JPG

attachicon.gif
Cube Photo 2.JPG

attachicon.gif
Cube Photo 3.JPG

attachicon.gif
Cube Photo 4.JPG
Different looking blue one to the ones I have from Bunnings. Mine are more plastic jerry cans.

Anaconda sell 20L and 25L clear water cubes at $20 and $25. Not cheap, but handy. I use them the 20l as cubes and the 25l as fermenters

Samuel Adams said:
Which markets Batz ?
Most markets have a guys selling plastic buckets, drums and stuff. I see them at Pomona, Gympie and Yandina, just ask them and I bet there can you you cubes if you don't them out for sale.

Batz

Supercheap auto catalogue this week has 30% of all SCA branded cubes. 20l for $15.39 and 25l for S17.49

bak said:
Supercheap auto catalogue this week has 30% of all SCA branded cubes. 20l for $15.39 and 25l for S17.49
where did you see this?

Back