2 x Single Thermostats for Fridge Temp Control

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droid

somewhere on the slippery slope with a beer in han
Reaction score
+1 I have two and the probes have to been to hell and back - all good, they can be calibrated too if/when needed

Hey guys,

Found a 140L relatively modern kelvinator on the side of the road a couple of days ago, fits my FV! The ex-owner even helped me carry it to my car, nice fellow. :D

So im looking into temp control options. From reading looks like most people go the hand wired STC1000, which may still be an option. But I was looking for something that was manufactured. So I came across these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aquarium-Refrigerator-Digital-Thermostat-Temperature-Controller-Socket-/281238312740?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Now im aware that even if I bought these, they may get held up / confiscated by customs being AC powered and chinese, but ASSUMING I could actually get 2 of them (possibly locally),

EDIT: Available in Oz:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Thermostat-for-Reptile-Snake-Lizard-Aquarium-Incubator-Heat-Mat-Lamp-AU-/281418169471?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item4185d47c7f

would it not be possible to use 1 of each to control fridge / heat belt, one in cooling mode and one in heat mode, both set to the same temp? Would it work?

Thanks for your thoughts!
CS

My main gripe with the prewired STC1000's is the price. I'm still yet to put down my first brew (hopefully this weekend) so didn't want to spend another $150 on one of these units. Sounds like these Chinese units are pretty inaccurate though, 3 degrees out seems pretty substantial.

Is there anything sub $100 that's dual controlled and prewired?

You can buy fully assembled STC-1000 style temp controllers from various retailers that switch automatically from cooling to heating. No need to wire up anything yourself.

I used to have one of those for the bar fridge that had my keg and set it at 4c and it worked. it was out by about 3c though after checking it with the reference thermometer, it kept teh keg at the desired temp. To get you up and running for $42 why not.

(no Aff)

I recently bought the Keg King 16amp which works a treat, may be a little more but its one unit and is far more accurate than those your veiwing.

http://www.kegking.com.au/Temperature%20Controllers%20and%20Measurement%20Devices.html

I think I have what your looking for
http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/products/category/GYXAYCQR%20heating-and-cooling/7THERMOSTAT+DIGITAL+DUAL

I bought one early this week and waiting for it to arrive (postage $9). Currently discounted by 20%, sale ends the on the 13th.

I emailed then asking some questions and rec'd the following response, as there is no details on the site

"Hi Dan,
You can only set one temperature but you can set the difference. The difference can be set at for example 3 degrees so if the set temp is 20 Deg C and the difference is 3 Deg, then it will cut in / out at 17 degrees and 23 degrees.

You can have both a fridge and a heater plugged in at the same time and it will switch automatically from one to the other."

Chromesphere. I have several of those chinese controllers. they won't be held up by customs etc. They have a 1'c hyisterist. In other words, set at 10' it will cool to 9' and let warm to 11'. In practice as soon as the device shows 9' (actually 9.99') it will shut off and the same at 11' so effectively the control is from 10' to 10.9'.
I have done what you suggest, one for heating, one for cooling, but I;ve always set them 1' apart.

chromesphere said:
My main gripe with the prewired STC1000's is the price. I'm still yet to put down my first brew (hopefully this weekend) so didn't want to spend another $150 on one of these units. Sounds like these Chinese units are pretty inaccurate though, 3 degrees out seems pretty substantial.

Is there anything sub $100 that's dual controlled and prewired?
Check out Keg King, their controller is around $65 give or take. I have two KK ones they work just fine......no affiliation etc.

cool! my second one came with that deal - but you may find that you use the probe from the temp controller for measuring - it's 4-5" long and handy for mashing and controlling sparge /strike water temp too, fantastic thing I reckon, check out the u tube link that is on the instructions because they are very easy to follow but thorough

congrats will be on order if you get one because you are taking out a big variable, being that of temp fluctuation in your home brewing, I didn't brew for years and one of the main reasons was I couldn't control the temp and my beer was shite most of the time, now its just some of the time haha

Let's be controversial! I think the chinese controllers get a lot of bad press. 1 because they are Chinese. 2 Because people who have spent lots more money and or never used one don't want to feel embarrased. Well, my scottish heritage makes me a bit tight.
I bought mine for $11.23 each free post and are quite happy with the performance. I have included some picks to show my point.
In the first pic the controller is set at 10'c and is showing 10'c but the separate thermometer is showing 11'c and the fridge has just turned on. fridge running.jpg
In the second pic the controller reads 10'c and the separate thermometer reads 10.1'c and the fridge is runningFridge running3.jpg
In the 3rd pic the controller reads 9'c and the separate thermometer 10.1'c and the fridge is off.Fridge is off.jpg

My one from grain and grape arrived today. It has keg king branding on the housing.

Superstock I don't doubt they work just fine, Chinese or not. I think I'm going with the other option purely for simplicities sack. You see, im a bit dense, and its a matter of time before I stuff up the settings on one of the 2 Chinese controllers.

GNU, I noticed that in the pic on their website actually (the keg king logo). Hope it works for you, ill probably get mine on ebay, slightly cheaper. actually pretty much the same price

The STC1000 was designed to control fridges. It comes with the inbuilt function of compressor delay. This will give your your fridge extra protection that it won't blow the compressor. Probably worth the money for peace of mind if you ask me.

InterCooL said:
The STC1000 was designed to control fridges. It comes with the inbuilt function of compressor delay. This will give your your fridge extra protection that it won't blow the compressor. Probably worth the money for peace of mind if you ask me.
I've never done electrical work and got my stc1000 from aus all for under $40. Well actually I have two :)

InterCooL said:
actually, I think they were designed fro aquariums.. weve just adopted them, most listings on Ebay used to say aquarium but many do not now.

I would not get too concerned about products made in China
Most electrical items are made there now
Go to the Big Green Shed and buy a DETA powerpoint or light switch or buy the same HPM brand product for twice the price
Look on the back and see that they are both made in China, probably in the same factory.

oh yeah of course. My Honda Mower is made in china. But the thing is bullet proof. The quality control is in place. Prehaps I should have been more specific. Buying from chinese ebay sellers directly. There is a lot of below par quality stuff on ebay, I don't know about you guys, but I have seen my fair share of it. Anyway, its all slightly OT.

I ended up going with the ebay keg king from country trading store. Man they are slow to post. Paid for it last Friday, still hasn't even been posted yet... (according to aust post "initiated"). Was hoping to try my first brew this weekend but not looking likely now.

Latest posts

Back