2 Smack Packs Instead Of Starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gar

Reaction score
G'day guys,

I'm going to try a wet yeast for the first time in my next brew... would it be ok to use 2 wyeast smack packs instead of a starter in a 25L - 1050 SG brew.... the reason I ask is I don't have the time to make up a starter and I've only got 1 free day to get this done.

Cheers in advance :icon_cheers:

For a 1.050 wort I would aerate well and pitch one pack, provided the pack was less than 3 months old.

Damn that was quick seamad :)

It's the 1056 - American Ale, I haven't received it yet but It'll be fresh (its from Ross at craftbrewer)

Thanks very much guys, wasn't expecting an answer that quick.

I nearly always make up a starter, but like you I got pushed for time and just pitched a neat pack, which had swelled nicely, a couple of weeks ago. It was 1469 from January, and fired up nicely. I'd say as long as it swells you are right.

A fresh pack of Wyeast is good for an SG of up to 1060. Smack it, and if it swells within a few hours is pretty damn fresh/healthy

A fresh pack of Wyeast is good for an SG of up to 1060. Smack it, and if it swells within a few hours is pretty damn fresh/healthy
That is also given correct oxygenation, available nutrient and I would also add optimal fermentation temperature for strain.

Sometimes I will make a starter first thing before I am brewing and pitch at the end of the brew day. I know many others do the same.

Agree, I always make a starter, regardless

Latest posts

Back