2 questions with kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghizo

Reaction score
Just put my first batch in a keg it had 14 days in the fermenter, then kegged carbed and now been in fridge for nearly a week,
Should I leave the keg out of the fridge for extra conditioning? Or is it ok to leave In the fridge?

Beer taps, there is a huge price difference the ones I have are the cheaper ones about $30 is there a big difference if you go for something like a perlick?

Taste it mate, if it tastes good .....job done. If not ,sometimes leaving the beer out will improve it, sometimes more ccing will help. Getting the beer good before kegging is the way to go though.

Ok poured first beer, pours all head but soon settles . Tastes good maybe a little flat, what should I do

What pressure do you have your keg at, and the biggie, how long's the line between your tap & keg?

Pressure was sitting at 10psi, dropped it back to about 5psi, beer line is under 1 meter

Ghizo said:
beer line is under 1 meter
That'll be your problem. Do a search on Keg balancing, or on Google for "Beer Line Length Balancing"

You need a bit of length in there to restrict the flow of the beer.

Ok 3m line still pouring 40% head but much better, does this mean I need longer Lines again? I also reduced the pressure to 4-5 psi

What do flow control taps do? Does that mean I won't have to have such long beer lines?

If you beer is carbonated to 10psi and you are now serving at 5psi this will allow the CO2 to come out of solution in the lines and cause foaming. Now that you have the right length of beer line try increasing your serving pressure to 10psi or greater.

12psi all the way! Cant go wrong. If everything else is right. Don't change the setting. I cheat sometimes to carb up a beer faster and crank it up to 30psi. But thats silly now I think about it because if you care for better beer you leave it longer anyway. 1 week at 12psi for most pale ales etc. = 2.3 volumes. If a kegged beer is too high you disconnect the gas line, release its pressure and let sit. Patience is best. IMO

Still getting 50% head. Grrrrrrrr!!
At 10psi it feels to pour really quickly

What is the internal diameter of you beer line and how did you carb the keg?

Yep big head low fiz
I think they are 5mm lines I have not measured them but they came in a copper tun kit and the LHBS gave me some .
I carbed the keg by 38psi for 24 hours then 10psi for a few days
I have just noticed that there is a slight leak out of the ball connect could this cause the problem? I will have to tighten the clamp ( probably change to a better clamp)
I need to get more beer line anyway so would 6mm be better or stick with 5mm

Latest posts

Back