2 Level Brewbox With Cooling Or Warming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emdub

Reaction score
p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } G'day team.

My plan is to build a brewbox which will have a box at the top to hold frozen soft drink bottles and have an incandescent bulb, to do either warm or cool brews where needed.

The panels will be made from plywood and 19mm square lengths and filled with expansion foam for insulation. I'll line it with space blanket if can get some. Or plastic or something

The air will be moved around by 75mm computer fans between the dividers and includes a tube to pull air from below to the top again completing a circular airflow. The bottom section will be allowed to be shut off from the upper brew section.

I don't know how cold I can get it but hope to be in the low to middle teens C and up to around 28C.

This design should allow me to do two brews at once( at a common temp) if I ever get that far.

I made a very quck 3D model to give you (and me) an idea of what i'm after. The only cost to me is the foam. 8 bucks.I have the rest laying around.

Before I start, I will ask here... will this be any good?

brewbox1.jpg

Love the design. I've done a similar thing in a dead fridge with frozen bottles. During the last few winter months, I've been using a big w home brand fan heater in the fridge to keep warm and the ambient outside temps keep it cool.

Going to have to go into the fridge in the summer, when ambient temps are hotter than needed

Umm, why not just go a second-hand fridge?

You can get them pretty cheap off Gumtree, or sometimes even free from the side of the road during hard-rubbish collection.

Pre-insulated, and if it is a working fridge, no need to worry about the frozen bottles.

Get yourself a Tempmate and heat pad and you can brew any style of beer at a consistent temperature year round.

I wouldn't waste your time and effort
Before finding AHB I spent a good few hours of labour and about $100 and built a fermenting "cupboard"

gallery_7556_294_25722.jpg

But I struggled to keep it anywhere near 18-20deg in my hot garage in the middle of summer

After reading a few threads on AHB and spending around $200, I built a fermenting fridge

med_gallery_7556_294_309132.jpg

Now I have almost complete control of at least the atmospheric temperature my beer ferments at.
And I have never looked back.

Short term pain for long term gain in my opinion.

My 2c

P.S. I still have the old brew cupboard, good for carbing up bottles in winter :icon_cheers:

I live in Nowra, a country town. There's no cleanup days around here but I may be able to go to the tip and find a fridge but I doubt they'll let anyone take anything away. I don't know many people but have asked two already. And besides. I don't have much funds.
As for "Gumtree" that's too far away.
OK plan scrapped, Ill see if I can get a refund for the filler.

I still reckon those security door shelves are absolutely genius.

P.S. I still have the old brew cupboard, good for carbing up bottles in winter :icon_cheers:
Would be good with a basic source of heat and a temp mate for ferments during the winter too.

I live in Nowra, a country town. There's no cleanup days around here but I may be able to go to the tip and find a fridge but I doubt they'll let anyone take anything away. I don't know many people but have asked two already. And besides. I don't have much funds.
As for "Gumtree" that's too far away.
OK plan scrapped, Ill see if I can get a refund for the filler.
Chill, bro. It's an internet forum, ask questions, expect opinions.

Your plan has merit, but for the cost for the materials, the possible "cost" of your time (I am time poor, due to having kids), and the flexibility of the offered solution, my opinion is that you are better off looking into a second hand fridge.

You might happen to have woodworking skills, and reasonable access to cheap materials, so in your instance a bespoke build might be the way to go.

BTW. I'm a mexican, so don't know what all the regional areas are, but Gumtree does have ads in regional areas: http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/Regional_NSW/Far_South_West/

I live in Nowra, a country town. There's no cleanup days around here but I may be able to go to the tip and find a fridge but I doubt they'll let anyone take anything away. I don't know many people but have asked two already.
I suspect if you ask nicely at the tip, and/or offer some beer in return, they'd be more than happy to let you have a fridge. (Around here) they usually separate all that kind of stuff so you may well find they have a nice stock-pile of fridges ready for you to pick one.

There is nothing wrong with your plan, however, as others have said, using a fridge, even if its 'dead' is most likely going to be much easier and much cheaper for you.

In Nowra we don't have Hard Rubbish Cleanups....
But at the Nowra tip you can buy fridges cheap....(Recycle Shop )
Not much there at the moment.....They cleared EVERYTHING out..
New Management.......You just have to visit now and again and hope..
Or ask if they get one can they let you know....
Try behind Harvey Normans.....They charge to take them away...
and you probably get one there cheap...?
Cheers
PJ

Before I start, I will ask here... will this be any good?

No, not compared to the cheaper and more effective solutions on offer. I got my fridge for $40 from Bindi, and wired up my fridgemate and haven't looked back. In fact, I'd not be brewing now if there was no exact temp control. If your not serious about your beer, it doesn't matter however.

I was in Nowra 2 weeks ago, and you have a great opportunity to make lagers there at the moment! :icon_cheers:

Thanks team!
All suggestions taken on board.
I do prefer to get a fridge so I'll work in that.
It is however cool enough for the time being. Not for much longer though.

Latest posts

Back