Coolroom - Who is running one?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komodo

Reaction score
Right-o I've just started brewing again and all these fermenting fridges is giving me the shits.
Who has a coolroom for fermenting?
How does it perform (brilliantly I suspect?)
Do you run a chilling unit or is the insulation alone enough (I'm guessing this will vary with location)?
How do you get around the issue of crash chilling & fermenting lagers?

I'm kind of thinking a 1.5m x 2.5m cool room with a small section cornered off as a cooled area with the rest just holding temps stable (should be fine here in Melbourne I would think?) Maybe with some kind of vent on an actuator to allow cool air to overflow into the main area if its getting too warm?

Any way I'm sure there are a few brewers with such a setup and I'm keen to hear feedback

wouldn't they be expensive to run ?

I thought of using our server room at work for fermenting :)

mxd said:
wouldn't they be expensive to run ?

I thought of using our server room at work for fermenting :)
Depends if running 5 fridges

Yeah I'm looking at using a proper drop in chiller around 1.2kW
Air cons aren't designed to get that cold so I'm not surprised yours doesn't get much cooler than 17ish.
Should cost similar or less than running the 5 fridges I currently run I'd think.
Got a mate who used build them getting me pricing on all the components.

where are you at with it?

i'm considering a third fridge at the mo

yes, I'm running a coolroom. Using a small window air-con. Keeps the kegs at 3degrees no problems.
When I first built it I ran the numbers on running costs and it came out at about $35-$40 a year to run.

Regards,
garyd

Latest posts

Back