2 Kegs And 2 Stuck Gas In Posts!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doglet

Reaction score
I have 2 non reconditioned kegs (Spartanburg type - same as cornelius except posts are slightly different) and I am trying to remove the gas posts to replace seals etc but am having no luck.

I have tried a 7/8inch spanner, a 7/8 sparkplug socket, lots of WD 40 spray, swearing and hitting with a hammer but the bloody things won't budge! :angry: That's about the extent of my limited range of tools so I'm stuffed!

Can someone please give me some ideas how to "unsieze" the posts or can I visit somene in Adelaide that may be able to help out?

Cheers

(Time for a beer and a deep breath...)

A trick that often works on frozen threads is to heat the nut, in this case the gas post, very rapidly using a blow torch or similar and then before the inner thread has time to absorb the heat also apply force with the spanner to undo it.
Thats assuming ofcourse that you have access to a blow torch.

cheers

vl.

make sure to vent the tank before and during the heating if you go down this path. id try a bit of steel tubbing on the spanner fist ie get a bit more leverage

oh yeah. I should add that my idea is a last resort if after all the heaving and a ho-ing with a spanner has got you nowhere. ;)

vl.

doglet,

First are the posts leaking? If no leave them and circulate plenty of sanitiser thro the keg. If yes,you could try laying the keg on its side and pouring a kettle full of hot water over the post, being careful where the water is ending up, (not on your foot or crutch), giving the post a gentle tap with a blunt instrument, ie a heavy chunk of wood or similar( we don't want to damage the post) and attack again with your longest spanner. Patience. YOU WILL WIN!

Thanks for your ideas.

For tonight I have inverted the keg and filled up the dip tube with WD40. I will give the boiling water suggestion through the post and over it a go tomorrow night.

One of the main problems I am finding is keeping the spanner on the post without slipping and also gripping the keg - a 3 or four handed job! Might get my brother to help.

doglet,

Try putting a long bar thro the keg handles to supply a bit of leverage while working the spanner on the post in the other direction to undo the stubborn *******. Mmmmm, WD 40 flavoured beer. Could be on to something there!

Get a tube spanner the right size, and an appropriate length of metal rod to go through it and you should be in business with everything else you have already done.

Beers,
Doc

There was a post on ring spanner sizes a while back ...22mm is the one. I was having similar problems till I made a visit to supercheap ;)

here's the link:
ring spanner

Good Luck!

Edit: Should add that I got a 22mm "deep/long" socket

Forget the WD-40.
It's not worth a pinch of sh.t when compared to a product called Inox.
I've had seized swingarm assy's in dirtbikes and tried the old WD-40 to no avail.
Soaked the same assy's in Inox and they come apart like there wasn't a problem with them in the first place

bring them upto the BrewInn Doglet - we will get them off.

bring them upto the BrewInn Doglet - we will get them off.

A fitter starts too worry about now :p
Big d? Tidalpete?Jazz?
Batz

Thanks all - Might take you up on your offer GMK if my efforts fail this week.

Try putting a long bar thro the keg handles to supply a bit of leverage while working the spanner on the post in the other direction to undo the stubborn *******
Great idea - will definately try that!

Mmmmm, WD 40 flavoured beer. Could be on to something there!
Not my idea of a tasty brew. A good clean out with sodium percarbonate and hot water should do the trick. :p

when all else fails pipe wrench should do the trick (I can hear Batz cringing from here)

cheers

Darren

Success!! :beerbang:

Bought a 22mm deep socket and got home to use it except I didn't have a 1/2inch drive socket so back to the hardware store to by a 3/8-1/2inch converter! Once back home I used a bar to brace the keg and finally go tthe two posts off. One of them had thick brown syrup inside of it that acted like glue but I finally unscrewed the post.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help. A 22mm deep socket is definately the one to go for!

Cheers
Doglet :beer:

Having difficult posts is NOT uncommon. We have a neumatic impact wrench for such tasks (same thing used to get your wheel nuts/bolts off your car). MANY times with MOST kegs the GOOD QUALITY wrench side hit by a hammer will be sufficient. There is just not enough thread space to lock the post so that it is impossible to remove.

:p
Try tipping a kettle full of boiling water over the posts about 2 minutes before you try to loosen them.
Any syrup or sticky malt will become runny and they should undo easily

I do it all the time

Cheers

B)

Back