Beer disconnect on gas post

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newts

Reaction score
Hey all,

Bit of an embarrassing one but it happened. Friend came over and after a large amount of beer decided to hook my keg up himself and has forced (very hard) the beer disconnect onto the gas post of my corny and vice versa. I managed to get the gas disconnect off but the beer disconnect is extremely tight.

Has anyone else encountered this one? It's that bloody tight - I've had all sorts of tools on it trying to dislodge it and I don't see it coming off. Being honest I'm at the point that I think I'm going to have to smash the plastic off with a hammer and sacrifice my new disconnect to salvage the post :(

If anyone knows a way to fix this one please let me know.

Cheers,

Newts

Does the head of the disconnect have a slot cut in it? You could take a blunt thing, back of a spoon or a big screwdriver and undo that, should get you in and get the poppet out n I hope release the death grip of the ball locks.

Also, could try chilling down the keg and then trying to prise the disconnect off with a wet warm towel (to warm the disconnect). Anything to give you an edge.

Open ended spanner just wider than post, use it as a lever under the disconnect.

Yeah mate, I've given the first a go already - taken the whole thing apart and no luck. I don't actually think it's the ball locks that are the prob. Seems to be the actual plastic on the disconnect is holding by friction against the post. Not sure if the gas post is slightly larger than the beer post or theres a ridge there or something but it seems that way.

The second I'll give a go tomorrow - I'll give anything a go at this point. Thanks for the reply.

Newts said:
Yeah mate, I've given the first a go already - taken the whole thing apart and no luck. I don't actually think it's the ball locks that are the prob. Seems to be the actual plastic on the disconnect is holding by friction against the post. Not sure if the gas post is slightly larger than the beer post or theres a ridge there or something but it seems that way.

The second I'll give a go tomorrow - I'll give anything a go at this point. Thanks for the reply.
Yeah the little ball bearings in the disconnect seem to get caught on the ridge of the post, using the spanner has worked for me when I done it.

given that you are willing to give anything a go, you should reconnect the gas disconnect on the beer post and turn your regulator up to max pressure, then try remove it, something might happen :D

ps if you do try this, make sure you bleed all pressure from the keg beforehand otherwise you'll end up with beer in you regulator

Christ that sounds dangerous DB!

Do it Newts! :ph34r:

I am of the BB spanner school.... Although, I have only done it once and got it by hand as I am incredibly strong.

I am sure there is a 'shame on him, shame on you' type adage here but it fails me at this time...

Cocko said:
Christ that sounds dangerous DB!

Do it Newts! :ph34r:

I am of the BB spanner school.... Although, I have only done it once and got it by hand as I am incredibly strong.

I am sure there is a 'shame on him, shame on you' type adage here but it fails me at this time...
The first time I put the wrong disconnect on the wrong post I ended up picking the keg up by the disconnect and shook it around until the disconnect come off. Unfortunately when it come off it came off in pieces and ball bearings fell out of it, I was able to rebuild it and still use it now.

Flat tip screwdriver for me, knuckles as a fulcrum. Guessing the open ended spanner might be less painful....

I read the kegking doco on force carbonation, sorry, read the first bit, and put a gas fitting on the liquid out post.

It's a wonder we ever manage to make beer...

yep i've done it more than once - open ender.

This made me laugh, here I was thinking I was the first to do it and after some searching I'm finding that if you haven't done it yet you're not an experienced kegbrewer.

I did try something similar to the spanner method earlier and I was leaning on it pretty hard thinking it wasn't going to work but it sounds like that's the approved method. I'll give this another solid shot tomorrow.

I said I'd try anything. Let me rephrase that to anything but DBs suggestions ;)

Back