2 Beers, 1 Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agarn

Reaction score
I've done a search and can't find anything on this topic.

I know we can run two or more kegs on the one gas bottle, but is there any reason why we can't run two beer lines to the one tap?

No reason why you can't do that but why you would want to is something diffierent.
Most clubs pubs and so forth have many kegs hooked up at once to simply save having to swap kegs when one empties.
You could do it in either series or parrallel if you have kegs of the same beer i would imagine, but i really can't see much point, not like its hard to switch kegs over when the first runs out.

Over the hills and far away
Jayse

I'm thinking of 2 different beers. Such as an ale and a dark, not mixing the two. Perhaps a T junction and an inline tap on each.

I thought of that but I have 3.5 metres of beer line which I have to empty to get to the next style of beer. If I had a T piece close to the tap, I wouldn't have that problem.

Agarn.

Bit of a false economy. By the time you arsed about setting up, buying the odds and sods to to it I reckon a 2nd tap would be just as cheap and probably a far easier proposition. :beerbang:

As others stated also. Very easy to pop the black disconnect from one keg to another. :)

Warren -

For the best results you really need another tap and liquid disconnect so you can pour either beer . Even better still you can tee off your gas line and have both kegs gassed at the same pressure without having to keep changing the gas lines.

Agarn - really good question! I wouldn't think it would be an issue as long as the switchover valve is of the same diameter etc.

be good to have it externally etc..

Cheers - Miek

If you have to open the fridge to change in inline taps you may aswell swap the diconnect from one keg to another.

I don't think you'll be saving any time or effort

Yeh I could swap kegs but as I said, you still have to get rid of the beer that's still in the line. Also saves wear and tear on the disconnect.

If you had two electric soleniod valves as close as possible to the tap inside the fridge it could be quite a good idea with a single change over switch. You would have to very carefull choosing the s/valves they need to be a STRAIGHT THRU flow type. If you are after a SINGLE tap only on your fridge or bar you could build the system to handle any amount of different beers say four or five GOOD LUCK keep us informed.
Cheers 15BL :beer:

Argan,

As usual on forums, it seems that people just want to shoot down your out-of-the-ordinary-idea as opposed to helping...except for fifteenbeerslater, who has offered constructive ideas.

My suggestion would be to purchase one of these and put it as close to your tap as possible with each beer line running to it:
Gas Manifold With Taps

It's a gas manifold, but would work fine for what you are sugesting :)

PZ.

Oops, I just noticed that you are also in Canberra.

Go to Water Plus in Fyshwick and explain what your needs are...the girls there know their stuff and will have you sorted with John Guest fittings/shut-off taps/whatever to suit at a bargain price and in no time at all :D :beer: :chug:

PZ.

I think it's a pretty good idea! I know the benefits of mixing beers, and the benefits that it can bring. The thought of mixing it at the tap (or just behind it, as you are suggesting) sounds great! Here's to the success of this venture, hope to hear progress reports on how it goes.

I have sold to Ross on this Forum what is classed as a six way gas manifold.
Each outlet has a ball valve on it.
He coneects six different Kegs into the manifold and one line out to the Tap.
Whenever he wants to sample from another different keg - he just shuts taht valve off and opens the valve connected to teh different keg and then drinks the beer.

Hope this helps.

GMK, I could be wrong, but if it's the same manifold I saw at Ross's place it is connected to his gas line not his taps.
And I personally would not like to run beer through one of these manifolds, cleaning it would be a PITA and it could be a source of infections.

Sorry to be another one of those posters who wants to shoot down an out of the ordinary idea, but sometimes CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM can also HELP.

Cheers
Andrew

Agarn said:
I have 3.5 metres of beer line which I have to empty to get to the next style of beer. If I had a T piece close to the tap, I wouldn't have that problem.
[post="115911"][/post]​

If my very rusty maths are correct you would have about 68mls of beer in 3.5m of line. Is losing 68mls of beer a problem? Only you can decide that for yourself and determine if the extra effort is worth it.

Cheers
MAH

AndrewQLD said:
GMK, I could be wrong, but if it's the same manifold I saw at Ross's place it is connected to his gas line not his taps.
And I personally would not like to run beer through one of these manifolds, cleaning it would be a PITA and it could be a source of infections.

Sorry to be another one of those posters who wants to shoot down an out of the ordinary idea, but sometimes CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM can also HELP.

Cheers
Andrew
[post="115960"][/post]​

Spot on andrew - In Ken's defense, it was my original idea before i got my new set up, to try using the gas manifold on the beer - personally I reckon it would work, & I don't think infections would be too much of an issue, especially if you placed the manifold just inside the fridge...

cheers Ross

What concerns me with these manifolds Ross is they are made from Aluminium, wouldn't the beer corrode or pit the metal ? I don't know much about that sort of thing but if it did corrode internally that surely could lead to deposits of beer and yeast that could become infected.
If I am wrong, fantastic, that could well be an option for Agarn, although I am pretty sure, given the inside diameter of these manifolds there probably would be the same amount of beer inside them as there would in a 3mt beer line.

Cheers
Andrew

Hi Agarn. I'm assuming you have your kegs in a fridge with the tap on the outside so 3.5m beer line is not needed. I know a lot has been mentioned on line balancing, but why not as a test, cut your line back to 1m. That's all I have and there are no probs. I can change beers within half a middy. If 1 m works then you may have to buy nothing. PP

P.S. (How brief was that!)

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll give it a go. It won't be too expensive to experiment and lets face it, someone has to try it. It will also give me a chace to mix my Irish Stout with my Aussie Draught. Mmmm I'm getting thirsty already. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Agarn

Latest posts

Back