2.6kg Co2 Gas Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappo1970

Piss off or Buy Me A Beer
Reaction score
Finally taking the plunge into kegging... it was very, very close AG nearly won the day! But the Lads at CB were very helpful in separating me money from me wallet from me fist... :lol:

Anyway I have got all the taps, manifolds, hoses, bits and pieces sussed with CB's. The only question mark I have is on buying the 2.6kg CO2 cylinder.

Firstly let me explain.

I want to buy my own cylinder simply because I don't want to pay rental. It's going to cost $260 which I reckon is ok considering the price of rental and refilling. I do a fair bit of welding with my other hobby "metal Artsy Stuff" and the rental on Oxy, Oxygen and Argon is enough to make you cry. About $410 plus per annum :angry: .

I wanted a portable supply for parties etc. As well as I want to do a more substancial system (chest freezer with flooded font) when I get my deck and bar finished later on.

I was told these are good for 12 or so kegs and then require refilling at about $30 a go.

Has anyone gone one of these? Are they good or do you regret not going the bigger size in hindsight?

There is a larger bottle option. I think 5.6kg? Any opinions I would be grateful for as I hate throwing good money for bad.

Hey bud, I have a converted fire extinguisher which is 3.5kg and I havnt regretted not getting a bigger one...

Just before new years I went to get it filled cos I took 3 kegs camping, id force carbed and served about 8 kegs and had only used about 0.8kg B)

I hate to say it but dont go to a HBS for this.

Hunt around. Call SUPAGAS and ask directly. I got mine outright for $120. It is a 6.2kg one (or close to that Im not totally sure).

Call around do homework - you can get some things so cheap you would not believe.

Cheers.

I want to buy my own cylinder simply because I don't want to pay rental. It's going to cost $260 which I reckon is ok considering the price of rental and refilling.

Seems a bit pricey. The cylinder that I purchased from My Keg on Legs was only $299 and it is 6.8kg.

Yeah agree with above MKOL price does seem a better deal. Plus for parties or emergency supplies you could always keep a Soda-stream (plus the necessary eBay adaptor) lying around. This is what i do.

(I have a 14.5 kG bottle)

:icon_cheers: SJ

I paid $340 for a 4.3 kg from Air-up. Dearer than what I am reading above but its an as-new bottle. Cost is about $40 to refill (still on the first charge).
Airup also do a 2.6kg but the guy here in Gladdy said he wont bother with them anymore as he tends to sell so many larger ones to HBers.

Any Chubb Fire Services or Air-up vendor around Aus can refill them.

I'm not saying this is better than anything else, just listing it as an option.

Cheers,
Jake

I have a 2.6kg and I reckon it's not a bad compromise between big and small. It's small enough that you can take it to parties without too much hassle, but big enough that you don't find yourself filling more than every few months or so. Works out cheaper for me than having a big bottle for home and then a soda-stream plus attachments for parties. Given my time over though, I reckon I'd get myself a fire-extinguisher instead. But maybe I'm just jaded because my LHBS charged me $350 for a 2.6kg about 3 years ago!! Needless to say I don't shop there anymore.

I thought id be cheeky and add that I just flick my gas guy a few beers and get my cylinder filled for free B) Awesome!!

I thought id be cheeky and add that I just flick my gas guy a few beers and get my cylinder filled for free B) Awesome!!

I see your cheekiness and raise you.

My 14.5kg bottle is supplied under the counter by a friend of a friend of friend for $50 cash

My 14.5kg bottle is supplied under the counter by a friend of a friend of friend for $50 cash

Faaaark, thats it, you win <_<

Yeah, when my mate told me he could organise that deal, i couldn't get the rest of my kegging gear ordered fast enough.

I do realise how lucky i am and regularly pay homage and present offerings to the Gods of Homebrew.

I got to get a mate in the gas business

FAAARRRKKK! What do need all that for? Your Pub? Several pubs?

Thanks All as usual you've come up with the goods! Anyways looks like I need to be doing some more research into the cost of these things. I think the concensis is to buy outright but shop around for a better deal. Man I am glad I asked the question of you'se guys because I was more than happy to pay that and walk away on Saturday. I know it's not a smart way but I am compulsive to say the least.

Cheers Bear09 I'm gunna give SUPAGAS a go...

FAAARRRKKK! What do need all that for? Your Pub? Several pubs?

No pub, just two kids under two years old!!! I need all the liquid 'assistance' i can get!!

I hate to say it but dont go to a HBS for this.

Hunt around. Call SUPAGAS and ask directly. I got mine outright for $120. It is a 6.2kg one (or close to that Im not totally sure).

Call around do homework - you can get some things so cheap you would not believe.

Cheers.
UPDATE:

OK rang Supagas. They don't sell cylinders at all apparently but they do do Oxygen/Nitrogen mixes for Guiness which was interesting. $53.40 per fill for 6kgs and $12.10 per month rental. So at that it would cost me $145.20 per annum. I going to keep searching...
Thanks anyway Bear09.

I see your cheekiness and raise you. My 14.5kg bottle is supplied under the counter by a friend of a friend of friend for $50 cash

I just leave $2 under my pillow, and a gas bottle is next to the bed in the morning.

Fire ext all the way! :)

Just don't have dreams about them... :p

Latest posts

Back