1v setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
Hi there,

Managed to get the plumbing finished on the kettle tonight. I think I must have bought the crappiest of the eBay pots. The pot has a few dents and dings in it.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1490352817.700976.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1490352922.887607.jpg

Did a water test to check for leaks, all good except for a leak in the pot seam. As someone who has never solder before, would it be safe to solder along the leaking seam?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1490352985.735220.jpg

Cheers,
Jase

Its barely a leak is it, I wouldn't go applying heat to it, what about epoxy resin, not like it's under pressure, and most putties can take the heat, Bunnings will sell it.

Difficult to tell what's going on there, Ether the sandwich base has leaked and the manufacture has tried to patch it up by TIGing the leak, or it was meant to be welded the whole circumference and missed a bit. In any case I would send a pic to the place you bought it and see if they'll send you a new one as it looks like a manufacturing fault.

I don't think whoever you bought it from would replace it or send a new one because you've drilled a hole in it, best bet is to take it to someone that can TIG or solder it yourself.

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't TIG weld it, there are a few spots along the seam like that! I contacted the seller before I drilled the hole, and he offered to refund on the pot, but mentioned that the next pot I order might be the same. It's only a cheap pot, I want to do some brews in it and then I might upgrade to a better pot.

I'll try the epoxy resin.

Cheers,
Jase

Be careful of epoxy, I've just tipped 70+ litres due to an off taste that ended up being the epoxy that was used to seal the heating elements.

I cant weld but i have done silver soldering. Pretty dam easy but i have done a lot of soldering in my time. If you dont have the gear it will coat you a bit however. I have since found other uses for it. Probably about $60- $70. I followed the vid from brewing hardware or similar or Bobby from New Jersey or something. Just make sure you make it a pretty thick bead of solder if you do it as it can crack if its not thick enough. I used it to attach a ferrule(?) Other may be able to advise if its sutable for a crack.

Latest posts

Back