1st Partial Og Too Low

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 15 litre water cooler mash tun with a copper manifold. 1st partail was terrible for efficiency... around 55-60%. I slowed the sparge on the second one and went up to 75%. The one problem there is with a partial IMHO is that you have a smaller volume to sparge with. What I have read latley is to up the sparge temp a little... maybe try say 80C. If doing the mash in a pot maybe you could try doing a mini BIAB. Another way could be to make or buy a lauter tun like this one. You could also do this with a coil of braid for an easy manifold. There a multitude of ways of mashing and lautering, you just need to find what suits you and you will keep improving.

Cheers
Gavo.
Hi guys, i was wonder if boiling with the lid on has anything to do with low OG, in Melb. today, stopped by G&G on the way home and picked up this lautertun01.jpg, will make the whole process a bit easier & more efficient, it'd better, no more toys for a while. Some lovely malty/hopsy aromas emmiting from fermenter, now to wrap lauter tun, next weeks RDOs job, i've read how to use it, what are your suggestions.

Cheers
Briby :chug:

Latest posts

Back