1st Fermentation Fridge Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murdoch

Reaction score
I have set up a fermentation fridge & put down the 1st brew in there yesterday mid afternoon
It was a 46L double batch made of 2 x Coopers Pale Ale, 2 x Coopers BE2 & 400gm of Dextrose
I used 2 x US-05 yeast packs fresh from the LHBS
It says to pitch the yeast at above 20 C so after making up the brew I let it cool in the fridge for a few hours until it was about 20.5 C
I then dry pitched the yeast into the brew then 30 minutes later stirred up with a sterilised paddle
The temp was set at 18 C & then it continued to drop temp to 18 C
This morning its sitting nicely on 18 C but there is still no activity in the brew
Its only been overnight I know, How long should it take until I see the yeast start working ?
I presume I have done the right thing ? Maybe I should have left the temp at 20 C until it started working then drop to 18 C ?
Any assistance or advice greatly appreciated

Cheers

Murdoch

I have set up a fermentation fridge & put down the 1st brew in there yesterday mid afternoon
It was a 46L double batch made of 2 x Coopers Pale Ale, 2 x Coopers BE2 & 400gm of Dextrose
I used 2 x US-05 yeast packs fresh from the LHBS
It says to pitch the yeast at above 20 C so after making up the brew I let it cool in the fridge for a few hours until it was about 20.5 C
I then dry pitched the yeast into the brew then 30 minutes later stirred up with a sterilised paddle
The temp was set at 18 C & then it continued to drop temp to 18 C
This morning its sitting nicely on 18 C but there is still no activity in the brew
Its only been overnight I know, How long should it take until I see the yeast start working ?
I presume I have done the right thing ? Maybe I should have left the temp at 20 C until it started working then drop to 18 C ?
Any assistance or advice greatly appreciated

Cheers

Murdoch

Should be soon. US05 is a prety good starter. You may not have a perfect seal, so look for signs of fermentation. Next time, rehydrate dried yeast. I do it whenever I used dried yeast and fermentation starts quicker than when sprinkled on dry. However, it will work as you have done it and 18C is good.

I have read enough "my air lock isn't bubbling" posts to know to not mention that :D
But there is no krausen or sign of life yet .......
I will be braver next time & rehydrate the yeast
Hopefully it starts soon
I would hate to have the 1st temp controlled brew not work out :unsure:

you could bring the temp up a little till you see activity then take it back down again?

you could bring the temp up a little till you see activity then take it back down again?

Personally I wouldn't chill the wort once things start. I think it's better to let fermentation take off nicely rather than give it a blast of cold just as it's starting out.

Edit - Fermentation is usually well under way before there are any visible signs of it. I have pitched yeasts at 18 degrees many times with good results. It's my personal choice to pitch my yeasts at fermentation temperatures.

I wouldn't be too worried at this stage, maybe the yeast has had a hard life at some stage and is not as viable as it could be. Give it a bit longer. I actually pitch my yeast warm and also throw the fermentor straight into the fermenting fridge.

QldKev

I almost alwasy dry pitch my ales at 21-22 (sometimes even higher in mid summer :eek: ) with US-05 and then ferment at 17-18, never had a problem in prolly ove 100 brews with this particular method & yeast. Just give it time mate she'll start, you might miss the krausen though (which isn't likely but entirely possible), so maybe if there's still no sign say tomorrow arvo then just take a hydro reading to confirm/deny. Also (sorry can't help myself :rolleyes: ) If you want a real APA hop hit then chuck about 30g each of Amarillo & Centenial or Amarillo & Cascade in the fernmenter in a couple of days :icon_drool2:

I agree -

My first brew in the ferment fridge didnt get off to a solid start becuase I pitched, and set to my 18Deg straight away. I was using a lid and airlock, and no signs after 3 days! However - I realised it was the dodgy seal - becuase their was a nice krausen, and the OG was dropping - so all good.

Since then, I use clingwrap lid, and wait for signs of fermentation until I bring it to the 18DegC.

Thanks for the feedback ....
Did start getting a bit of activity & some airlock bubbling later in the morning (not that I judge fermentation by air lock bubbling :D )
& now there is some krausen & the airlock is bubbling every 15-20 seconds (not that I judge fermentation by air lock bubbling :D )
Looks to be a goer ....

So next time I should rehydrate the yeast, pitch at a temp above 20 C, wait until signs of fermentation, then drop to 18 C ?

Thanks for the advice & assistance

Checked it yesterday at the 7 day mark & its down to 1011 :D

Back