1st Brew, Pitched When Warm, Flavor Ruined?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistat

Reaction score
So I decided to get back into homebrew after an approximately 10 year hiatus (I only made about 4 beers previously). I went to my local brewcraft store, acquired some new equipment (my old gear had gone to ruin), and couldn't wait for the Adelaide temperatures to drop below the 30's, so I jumped straight in. After mixing the Black Rock India Pale Ale can with the Brewenhancer #47 (I think) kilo of glucose/dextrose with some boiling water, and 20 odd liters of Pura Tap water, I ended up with a wort of about 30 degrees. I knew this was warm, and assumed it would drop temp over night, but I didn't want to wait so I pitched the yeast (US-05) at this high temp. A few hours later it was bubbling away so I was happy.

I also found this forum soon after and did some reading, and the one thing most people harp on about for new guys was keeping the temperature for ales between 18 and 24 degrees.

So this brew started off at 30degrees dropping to about 26 over 6 hours, then I put it into my laundry tub surrounded by water, with a towel wrapped around it, and I've started putting some frozen water bottles in their too. The temperature of the fermenter is about 24 now, and drops to about 22 over night.

Given the first 8 hours of this brew started off above the recommended temp do you think that I would have released too many nasty enzymes? I know I should have about a week of fermentation at the desired temperature, so hopefully I didnt kill the whole brew.

Also, I want to fill the tub up with more water, will the stick on thermometers survive submersion? Or should I leave it dry?

Cheers,
Mike.

My stick on thermometer survived many many weeks of total submersion, so shouldn't be any probelms there.

Regarding your temperatures and pitching temperature.... everything should be fine! Your pitching temperature was a bit high and may have caused the yeast to be a bit unhappy, but yo've got it down to a reasonable temperature pretty quickly and I don't forsee any prpblems - your beer is definitely not ruined! Relax and have a beer!

My stick on thermometer survived many many weeks of total submersion, so shouldn't be any probelms there.
Thanks, I'll top up the tub when I get home that will assist lowering the temp more.

Regarding your temperatures and pitching temperature.... everything should be fine! Your pitching temperature was a bit high and may have caused the yeast to be a bit unhappy, but yo've got it down to a reasonable temperature pretty quickly and I don't forsee any prpblems - your beer is definitely not ruined! Relax and have a beer!
Excellent, I look forward to sampling this beer some time in Feb :)

Mike.

Also, if I plan to rack my beer, how long should I keep it in another container for? I have a 25L cube from when I used to brew. Would 2 weeks stored in that at room temp be suitable?

Mike.

Also, if I plan to rack my beer, how long should I keep it in another container for? I have a 25L cube from when I used to brew. Would 2 weeks stored in that at room temp be suitable?

Mike.
Ask yourself WHY do I want to rack this beer?
If you don't have an answer to that simple question then don't bother racking.
My advice to you if you can't keep the beer at a temp lower than you have fermented at is to bottle as soon as you are certain it has finished fermenting.
The affects of having a beer doing nothing in a container at fluctuating temps could possibly be worse than those you have already created by the high ferment temps.
Cheers
Nige

Ask yourself WHY do I want to rack this beer?
If you don't have an answer to that simple question then don't bother racking.
My advice to you if you can't keep the beer at a temp lower than you have fermented at is to bottle as soon as you are certain it has finished fermenting.
The affects of having a beer doing nothing in a container at fluctuating temps could possibly be worse than those you have already created by the high ferment temps.
Cheers
Nige

Thanks for the input Nige, I guess I was just assuming that racking it for a week or two would help reduce the sediment that might be floating around in the wort. I've only racked once before, and had it in my dad's meat fridge which sits nicely at 2degrees. I dont know what inspired me to put there, but it worked out well - one of the best beers I made. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to use his fridge anymore, so I figured leaving in the laundry would be as good. I guess I dont need to rack it really, so I think I'll skip that step then!

Cheers,
Mike.

Hi guys,

I think I know where Nige is coming from.
If you are not able to rack at a lower temperature, chances are the yeast will continue to eat the neighbours and thus produce flavours you would not appreciate. Would not make much of a difference between this and bottling and you increase the chance of oxygen contact.
However, the idea of racking to clear the beer is also widely discussed and too many threads have actually agreed that leaving the beer in the fermenter for an extra week or so will help the beer out.
I say give it a good and if you like it, do it =) I rack to secondary when I am playing around with add-ons like oak chips and hop aromas. Otherwise, its on to my TAD system and ready to drink in 2 days with force-carb

My thoughts are that once fermentation has finished the yeast will start to drop out.
Yes, it will do this faster at 2C but as this is not possible then this is not a reason to rack.
Two other ways to get clearer beer in the bottle would be to be very gentle when moving the fermenter prior to bottling OR rack to a bottling bucket leaving the yeast cake behind prior to bottling. This way you can also bulk prime if you like.
Once the beer is primed and in the bottle it will utilise any oxygen introduced during the process when it ferments the priming sugar.
Racking onto chips, fruit, to lager or crash chill are all very valid reasons for doing it.
Racking off the yeast cake after primary ferment is over and leaving it at whatever temp ambient may be, especially during the summer months, is not worthwhile IMHO.
Better off in the bottle, somewhere where temp is reasonably stable, carbing up ready for you to drink in 2 weeks or so.
Cheers
Nige

Thanks for the input Nige, I guess I was just assuming that racking it for a week or two would help reduce the sediment that might be floating around in the wort. I've only racked once before, and had it in my dad's meat fridge which sits nicely at 2degrees. I dont know what inspired me to put there, but it worked out well - one of the best beers I made. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to use his fridge anymore, so I figured leaving in the laundry would be as good. I guess I dont need to rack it really, so I think I'll skip that step then!

Cheers,
Mike.

Your beer will clear with patience. I keg and bottle left overs and when I get to drink them they are a couple of months old, and they are bright as. I do ales and don't rack, I do however leave them in the fermenter for aminimum of 10 days, usually 2 weeks to really settle and maintain temps of as close to 18 the whole time.
A good pour will leave all the sediment behind in the bottle.

So after 2 days it seemed my fermented had stopped bubbling. Temps had been around 22 - 24 degree C. Took a hydrometer reading, OG was 1.038 (I believe, might not be accurate due to lack of experience and 30degree wort.) and the next reading was 1.022. I figured I'd test it the next day to find out if it had stalled. Once I had placed it back in my laundry trough full of water, she started bubbling again! This only lasted about 3 hours though.

It's now 1 day later, and I'm wondering if I should test the gravity again or leave it another day (I'm inclined to do the latter). Would moving the fermenter ~40 cm to my washing machine and back again be sufficient to aerate the wort and inspire the yeast to fermentate again? I tried to be gentle, but 23L of beer is heavy! I don't think I splashed too much.

Should I test the gravity tomorrow, then 48 hours later and bottle if no change? Is 4 days of fermentation long enough for a I.P.A. ? Should I test again today and try and get the yeast bubbling again? Is there any risk with moving the fermenter about? Does fermentation always have to bubble?

Sorry for the influx of questions, I just don't want to waste my first brew!

Cheers. Mike.

ignore the bubbling. it is not a good indicator of fermentation. 1022 is definitely high considering that your OG was 1032. Just leave it for a couple more days and take your readings everyday. It should settle down to 1018 and below. Once you have a consistent FG for 3 days It would be safe to bottle or rack.

Thanks enuun, would raising the temp a few degrees be advisable? She seemed to be more productive at ~28 degrees opposed to the current 22 degrees.

Edit the krausen is still clearly visable.

The bubbling is unimportant, don't be too stressed either way. Gas will find the easiest path to the outside world and pushing the liquid in the airlock out of the way is not the easiest if there is a slight gap somewhere else.
When there is a large amount of CO2 production you may get bubbles then it may stop as the ferment slows.
Movement, stirring of the trub and temperature fluctuations can increase the amount of CO2 escaping thereby causing renewed bubbling.
To the question of bottling, DON'T be in a rush. 10 days minimum before I consider kegging, and after considering it I usually give it a few more days.
Take samples as often as you feel you need to, make sure you are reading the hydrometer correctly and then think about bottling when you have a steady reading over three days.
Also, have a taste of every sample, it will give you an idea of how beer tastes at different stages and when you are more experienced will give you prior warning of any problems you may have with a brew.
Cheers
Nige

rising the temperature is definitely a no go. It is important to keep the temperature constant so as not to stress the yeasts. between 18 to 22 is my preferred ale fermentation when using nottingham or s04. I try to keep to 20

Back