1st Brew On Braumeister - Pics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of recipes on recipedb. Brewmate is free and works for mash recipes (google it).

Depends on what you want really. Look by rating, and by type of beer you prefer and you won't go wrong.

Goomba

Im sold,Just gotta find some more cash without SWAMBO finding out!Come on tax time!
I wonder how much brewing gear will be for sale in the next 6mths!!!!! :beer:
Cheers Humulus

While we're talking BM, the control comes programmed for a 5 step light body, if i'm correct, at work at the mo 3am.,so forgive me if i'm wrong.
Could step mash brewers please add 4-5 step mash schedules for light , medium and full body brews. It's a pity that in these days of high tech. everything, the BM hasn't the capacity to store multiple schedules. I bought a 20l model and now wish i had of bought the 50l with the small malt pipe, oh well, just have to brew more often.
cheers
briby

I'm sure you have worked out that you can put in any 5 step programme you like; you aren't constrained to the default settings. Most of the recipes I sell come with the programming included whether it's an Isothermal mash for an English Ale of a full blown 5 step programmed infusion for a big Bohemian Pilsner, it only takes a couple of minutes to punch it in. Your owners manual comes with all the steps involved but if anyone wants to read up on how the Braumeister works Catch View attachment 46672

MHB

Hi Mark. I tried to send you a couple of emails and haven't heard back so i thought I would try you here. I would like to purchase 2 of your 50L filters with drawstrings attached shipped to the US. Can you email me at [email protected] ?

Thank you!

Dave, great write up and pictures! Thanks for the heads up on the filters.

Rob

Sorry, I've just finished moving IP providers and have had to make a heap of changes to accommodate my new website (had about 2000 emails in limbo) and am still catching up. Mind you the new 5,000 mbps microwave broadband is fun

Be in touch either today or tomorrow at the latest.

MHB

For those who have or are planning to get the 20L, the malt tube fits perfectly into a 19L stockpot, and even a 15L one. it sits elevated like when resting on the unit, leaving plenty of room underneath for wort coming from a flood sparge. once the trickle gets slower you can also prop the tube on an angle, which increases the wort flow again for a while.

Edit: And like proudscum, I do love my 20L, it gets me out into the brewery more often, and it also gives me more chances to tweak my recipes. Plus, the malt pipe is easy to lift and cleaning is very quick, with only one element to clean. Maybe over time when I get my perfect recipes together and spare time becomes more of a novelty I'll bite myself for not getting the 50L, but logistics were against it when I ordered mine.

I'll love to see a brew day Florian ;)

Sorry, I've just finished moving IP providers and have had to make a heap of changes to accommodate my new website (had about 2000 emails in limbo) and am still catching up. Mind you the new 5,000 mbps microwave broadband is fun

Be in touch either today or tomorrow at the latest.

MHB

Thank you Mark. Looking forward to it. I just did a video on using paper clips to hold the filter on. It does great but still leaves some gaps. I think your setup will work the very best.

Rob

My second brew on the BM went well yesterday. A Nelson Sauvin ale :icon_drool2:

This system really produces amazingly clear wort (even if this isn't all that important it looks nice).

I've achieved over 85% efficiency on both of my first brews. Nice!

Brew_2.jpg

Good on ya Dave. Glad to hear it's getting a good work out :icon_cheers: .
How many more brews to get your money's worth :p :ph34r: .

Not sure about money's worth... but it was never about money :)

As far as quality goes, its been well worth the expense!

Its interesting to note that my brew days have actually gotten longer not shorter. I never aimed to save time with this machine, but with the extra time to do ramped and stepped mashes the brew day seems to last about an hour or so longer. I do however have a lot more spare time during the brew day. Yesterday we managed to bottle a whole double batch while brewing another double batch, something we couldn't do previously!

Does this gizmo make high gravity beers or does it have it's limits like biab?

It has its limits, Mark knows better than I. but I'd say 1.065 approx tops for 50L but if you're willing to double mash and use less liquid you could do a lot higher.

My 50L Braumeister arrived to day, I'll give it a dry run with water tomorrow and brew day and woodfired pizzas Sunday Can't wait, I am really looking forward to the consistency thing.
I can't my head around the cloth filters, I am sure it will all work out!

Well itsnearly tomorrow, spent a couple of days catching up with a mate, get back tothe shop and there is a pile of work to do, just worked through the in-box,couple of hundred emails (most of them about my small penis and inability tokeep it up) should be able to pay some more attention to AHB after work butbriefly.

All the newBraumeisters coming through have Stainless Steel filters replacing the fabricones, and you can do fairly high gravity worts on a Braumeister, the highest Ihave ever gone is 1.114 the efficiency goes to shit but thats always the casewith high gravity brewing.

Bunch of PMsthere to read so will be back later

Mark

and you can do fairly high gravity worts on a Braumeister, the highest Ihave ever gone is 1.114 the efficiency goes to shit but thats always the casewith high gravity brewing.

I think it's worth pointing out again (Dave has already mentioned it) for people who are not that familiar with the Braumeister, that yes, you can produce high gravity wort, but not a full 50L on a single run through (your normal program). The Braumeister is designed to produce wort which will give you a 'normal strength' (5-6 ABV max), as the malt pipe can only hold a certain amount of grain. To get a higher gravity, you would either have to do a second mash with your runnings from the first mash and a new grist, or you can boil your wort down until you have reached your desired gravity. So if you mainly do high gravity beers and you want full volume high gravity wort with a single program, then the Braumeister might not be the right system for you. If you are happy to double mash, only do big beers occasionally or are happy with smaller volumes, then all is good.

Just something to be aware of and work with I think.

I think it's worth pointing out again (Dave has already mentioned it) for people who are not that familiar with the Braumeister, that yes, you can produce high gravity wort, but not a full 50L on a single run through (your normal program). The Braumeister is designed to produce wort which will give you a 'normal strength' (5-6 ABV max), as the malt pipe can only hold a certain amount of grain. To get a higher gravity, you would either have to do a second mash with your runnings from the first mash and a new grist, or you can boil your wort down until you have reached your desired gravity. So if you mainly do high gravity beers and you want full volume high gravity wort with a single program, then the Braumeister might not be the right system for you. If you are happy to double mash, only do big beers occasionally or are happy with smaller volumes, then all is good.

Just something to be aware of and work with I think.

So about how many KG of grain do you think you can squeeze into a 50L malt pipe?

I know the manual says "Quantity indications vary according to recipe, whereby the malt quantity is between 4-5/ 9-11 kg"

and

"adding more malt than recommended optimal amounts leads to strongly compressed malt and poor extraction. "

So, 11KG?

BUT how much can you really squeeze in and at what point would your efficiency losses negate the additional grain?

Which is why you end up doing two mashes...

This is where the playing around and thinking outside the square bit come into play... Normally, you would add the malt pipe and bottom filter plate, then add your water and heat it. Once at strike tem, you would stir in the grain and then add your top filter plate and lock it all into place. With this method I have squeezed in just under 12kg of grain and with all that grain, got away with having enough water to complete a circuit for the mash to knock out a 35L batch. This works out to be about 1.077-78 OG, and with proper attenuation, is going to give me an ~8% beer. Not something I'm going to brew 35L of every week...

BUT...

There is more...

In the past, I have been known to put the malt pipe in, put in the bottom filter plate, tip in my grist, give it a shake to settle it all down, tip in a bit more, repeat, repeat blah blah until I've squeezed a tad under 13 kg of grain in there. Then I add the top filter plate, upside down so the little tube on it goes down instead of up, and then fill with my water. Now there a a couple of lessons I've learnt here...

First, the idea of the little tube on the filter plate is to make the filter plate sit about 30mm below the top of the malt pipe so when the grain expands a little, and the filter plate flexes a little, the grain still stays entrapped in the malt pipe. When it's turned over the other way, when the plate flexes, a little gap can open and let some grain out... so on the rare occasion that I am doing this, I put a smaller packer between the filter plate and the retaining bar to keep it just below the top of the malt pipe.

The astute among you that are still following on are probably about to open the quick reply box and start a tirade about grain bed compaction and doughballs... well the doughball thing is not so bad because I have a stiff bit of wire that I put in through the holes in the filter plate about a million times to break up the mash. I'm not sure it's such an issue with a constant recirculation system anyway. And I have gotten the same efficiencies as I used to when I had a conventional style MT with a standard FB, and also similar to when I had an esky with a manifold.

Doing the second method can be a bit of a juggle though... when doing this, it's only an educated guess what my pre boil gravity will be, and then a couple of quick calculations as to what the post boil will be so I can calculate the amount of hops and adjust IBU's etc.. but like I said, I only do this once in a blue moon when I'm doing a huge beer. I have used this method to get a RIS out at a tad over 1.097 and ended up with about 26L after a 2 hour boil. With a couple of sugar additions in the ferment, it was pretty heart warming stuff... :D

So yeah, in short, you can do a high gravity beer, but it's just a little trickier than if you had a big arse esky... And honestly, if I wanted to do a 18L batch of 13% Belgian Strong or a 15% Barley Wine, I'd just mash in my old esky and run it into my braumeister to boil.

WOW! Just tasted my first BM brew and I'm impressed. I wasn't expecting the BM to significantly improve my brewing as I thought I was doing a good job of controlling processes on my 3v system. I was mainly wanting consistency from the BM.

But my first brew (a Golden Ale) is the best pale beer I have brewed! It has some great malt flavour I had never managed to achieve in the past, and it also lacked a certain flavour (twang) I have been trying to get rid of for some time (would appear in all my pale beers)!

I don't know why, but this first brew tastes great! Significantly better than my previous attempts and its still very green. The BM is the only process I have changed. Its such an easy drinking, tasty brew. It could do with some more hop flavour / aroma but at the moment it is a very balanced beer which is what I like. Its fallen nice and bright with the aid of polyclar and cold crashing.

I'm a very happy camper! :D

Sorry the pic is so bad, bloody iphone.....

Beer_1.JPG

Latest posts

Back