1st Ag...mash Time And Beersmith Settings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright so brew is set to be done on Monday....was going to do it this afternoon but after starting to get everything clean I am going to run out of time this evening to do the brew.

I guess in the mean time I can get some decent measuring jugs etc and containers for hops etc...off to town then...

Thanks for all the help folks.

Monday here I come!!

Pok

Does the volumes that they can hold matter?

Kettle would easily hold I guess about 80L while the mash tun would hold I guess 60L

It's just that you had the mash profile settings ticked for batches that fill and 100% set for the amount, that would limit the amount you could add for your batch sparge, especially if you go for a 90 min boil which is what I suggest (flame suit on - personal pref of mine) as you get more water through the mash which lifts efficiency a little and the 90 min boil helps in removing the optimum amount of protein from the wort and forms a good hot break in the 30 min prior to adding the bittering or 60 min hop addition.

Wanted to check the kettle volume as a 90 min boil usually requires more than 30L of pre boil volume, plus headspace otherwise .... the dreaded boilover :lol:

Screwy

Ok - I'm a little confused.. You are doing a basically 23-24 litre batch and your kettle needs 24L in it to safely cover the element??

Um - I think that means you are screwed because your element is in the wrong spot - and by the sounds of it, your mash tun thermometer is too. Your total mash volume is going to be around 18L ... so it will be siting in the air above your mash!

You would also get a pretty bloody high evaporation rate with only a single batch boil volume in an 80L kettle - not too high to manage, but higher than normal, so I wouldn't be surprised to see you postboil volume lower than you expect

To me it looks like your system has been designed for double batches only and that you wont be able to brew a single batch in it. Unless I have misread the way you set your system up.

TB

Back