18 Gallon Keg.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
18Gal kegs aren't in circulation anymore and you can buy them (when they turn up).

Doc

Well there you go, you learn something new every day. Are these the ones with the hole in what seems to be the side?? at the middle??

They are the much older ones and can be a bit of a pain to convert as you have to seal the hole.

THe last of the old 18 gallon kegs were similar to the new 50 liter kegs ans were speared from the top. They are the ones you want. Mine actuallh has "NEWCASTLE" pressed into the top handle rim :)

I also have one of the old ones....... it is date stamped 14 April 1946. Aparently it would have been one of the first of the SS kegs as before this they were wood. Not sure of this fact, just what i was told.

cheers

I use a bog standard FB, only way to go IMO. My lid is a disc cut from 2" thick styrofoam cut from a broccoli box on roids with the edges taped up in hundred mile an hour tape... For insulation, I forked out some dollars on the advice of MHB and bought a sheet of Aeroflex and the glue to match, glued it on and wrapped it over with the same tape as aforementioned. I cut little bits of styrofoam to fit around the bottom drain tube. I did a 90 minute mash today on my mild and it only dropped half a degree, so it was money well invested.

Thanks again Schooey, all the info I need.

Cheers

My chiller only leaked when i used compression fittings to connect it in the kettle. After being un done and dome up over 2 or 3 years to remove and clean, they didnt do up properly and leaked. Problem was not that they leaked, as if you using clean tap water its not a real big deal, but i was using pool water from a sunmersable pump.

not good

The barrel unions have fixed this.

Pictures of my FB on the link i gave you. ITs just a ring i cut from a bit of 316 plate and spot welded some SS mesh onto it.

Edit: The ball valve helps with leak checking. I hook up the hose on the outlet side and crack the tap to let water in and push the air out. Then just close the ball valce and you can check the chiller for leaks in the dry kettle under full pressure. And drips stick out like a sore thumb

Thanks Tony, more helpful info :)

How much could you expect to pay for an 18G keg if you find one?

I paid nothing for mine, it's been in the old mans shed since JC played halfback for Jerusalem.

They are the much older ones and can be a bit of a pain to convert as you have to seal the hole.

Thats the type i have, no problem though.

Cheers
Yard

I'm using one as a kettle also.
Put the tap at the lowest point I could, but still have a 5 litre dead space under it.
With the shape of the bottom of the keg though it works well for the trub to fill at the end of the boil.
I love its size. 82 litres for a kettle is great.
Been getting tripple cubes out of it, and only one boilover so far (and that was minimal).

Doc

When you say "tripple cubes" what volume are you talking? standard 17 litre cubes (51 litre total)? or 60ish litres total?
just out of interest what size is your mash tun?

I'd say the tun would have to be 45lt minimum

Cheers

The only thing I could think of to make an old 18 Gal better was to convert it to a Keg-on-legs (4)!

keg_on_legs.jpg

I'd say the tun would have to be 45lt minimum

Cheers

The reason i ask is that i'm in the process of building one of these 18 gallon kettles, with the aim of being able to do double or triple batches (depending who's here to help brew/drink).
But i have 2 options for a mash tun, either a 50 litre (my current kettle) or another 18 gallon. From my calcs with a 50 litre mash tun i would need to fly sparge for a triple batch (using my standard grain bill). Where as the 80 litre job i could batch sparge any size batch. Plus i will still have my 36 litre cooler mash tun for single/double batches as well. You can never have too many options, unless you’re prone to procrastination.

I am setting up a 18g for the weekend 50lt weizen 50lt mash tun the only thing I can be a worry is false bottom in a 18g,but give it a go, I am happy with doubles it has cut my brewing in half.

I use a bog standard FB, only way to go IMO. My lid is a disc cut from 2" thick styrofoam cut from a broccoli box on roids with the edges taped up in hundred mile an hour tape... For insulation, I forked out some dollars on the advice of MHB and bought a sheet of Aeroflex and the glue to match, glued it on and wrapped it over with the same tape as aforementioned. I cut little bits of styrofoam to fit around the bottom drain tube. I did a 90 minute mash today on my mild and it only dropped half a degree, so it was money well invested.

as mentioned here by schooey, where can i get some Aeroflex and the glue to suit ?

cheers
Yard

I bought it from Davis & Spence in Newcastle, Yardy, they are an electrical wholesaler/Air conditioning type company. Try places like that or refrigeration type companies, I've seen it at places like that too. It cost me $55 for a 1200x900 sheet, which was enough to wrap two vessels not too unsimilar to toohey's kegs

Back