15 grams of yeast.. instead of 11.5..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beak

Reaction score
gday alll just wondering why yeast packs have increased up to 15g. my mate reckons they were around the 11g mark. any suggestions?

Beak said:
gday alll just wondering why yeast packs have increased up to 15g. my mate reckons they were around the 11g mark. any suggestions?
Lucky I am a mind reader so I know what you're talking about.

The yeast packs you are referring to are still at 11.5 grams. Keg King sell 15 gram packs as they get in large yeast blocks, separate the yeast themselves and then on sell it.

EDIT: Dam Feldon you beat me to it!

what packs?

I got told there are some .. repackaged.. US05 getting about (in official looking packets).. none of it legit as far as I know, at least not endorsed by the manufacturer... at the VERY least

bakingyeast.JPG

Ha.. who can say Stu..

I got a warning from a pretty respected distributor that the 15's were certainly not from the manufacturer and .. shall we say,.. uncontrolled.

Does NOT mean that all 15g sachets making the rounds are not going to make beer.. just QC from manuf. to you isn't assured.

Yob said:
Ha.. who can say Stu..

I got a warning from a pretty respected distributor that the 15's were certainly not from the manufacturer and .. shall we say,.. uncontrolled.

Does NOT mean that all 15g sachets making the rounds are not going to make beer.. just QC from manuf. to you isn't assured.
So the same deal as all the other LHBS who repackage in small plastic bags and charge the same price (or $7 per 11g in my case).

up to you, I wont use them though.. I like a bit more control over the yeast I use

if you dont mind uncontrolled process, go for it..

love the move to melbourne and looking forward to the next MB meet ( please tell me if I'm badly mistaken in believing it's next wednesday), but keg king being 15 min away are a world of unexpected slights and sorry disappointments. Went few weekends ago for CO2, sacks of malt, hops etc. had about $300 in goods ordered, asked for 500g of roast malt and they told me they add $2 processing fee for less than 2kg. With $300 of goods ordered? F*** off. Walked out.

No affiliation to anyone, but my advice is stick to your LHBS that's a member here as they actually give a f&&ok beautiful service every time from full pint, hop dealz, barleyman, craftbrewer, CheekyPeak, grain and grape and national home brew (not tried the others). As much as it pains me, SWMBO is right and I'm an idiot for trying elsewhere. Live and learn I guess

This is the rant thread right?

I go into KK, but it is advisable to go in with cash and get the cash discount, you would have been well in front then Blind Dog, getting back on topic I have in the past bought the 250gram packs from KK and divided it myself but I have also bought their 15 gram packs which they have been selling for a couple of years now, never had a problem and I think if Safale had a problem with what KK is doing they would have done something about it by now.

Safale would know that KK is repackaging their yeast and using their logo even if they didn't keep an eye on their website some other retailer would have been on the phone to dob them in.

I assume I'll win the lotto this week and buy an island off the coast of Brazil..

Safale sell in 500g bricks so I also assume the practice is known but doesn't mean I'm comfortable using yeast split like that.

wide eyed and legless said:
I go into KK, but it is advisable to go in with cash and get the cash discount, you would have been well in front then Blind Dog, getting back on topic I have in the past bought the 250gram packs from KK and divided it myself but I have also bought their 15 gram packs which they have been selling for a couple of years now, never had a problem and I think if Safale had a problem with what KK is doing they would have done something about it by now.
Should just be a 'morning after' button on here to delete my previous evenings stupid ramblings

I would think that we would have to assume that Safale does not act over here in an official capacity and there is just a distributer taking care of business, if that is the case then it well may be a different story if head office found out.

wide eyed and legless said:
I would think that we would have to assume that Safale does not act over here in an official capacity and there is just a distributer taking care of business, if that is the case then it well may be a different story if head office found out.
I get the feeling that the percentage of homebrew business for the local distributor is much smaller than the percentage of business derived from commercial breweries. It may not even be on their radar.

In the UK it is,(was) Safale stopped the HB stores repackaging the yeast, that's why I assume that the distributor may think it's ok whereas the manufacturer wouldn't be in agreeance.

The practice is not endorsed by safale.

The manufacturer goes through rigorous QC to get it to the end user with defined criteria.

I sincerely doubt ANY repackager gives 2 shits about the environment they are Re packaged in.

Repackaged yeast? YMMV

Its not only QA/QC processes but the fact they are package in a protective atmosphere to preserve longer, so introducing normal air cant be good for storage even if it is vacuum sealed (havent seen the repackaged types).

Edit: sorry Yob realised you already mentioned the protective atmosphere packaging =D

Latest posts

Back