1469 Interesting News?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
On another thread I posted some comments by Greg Doss of WYeast whom I'd Emailed about yeast authenticity. I also put in a bit of a plug for 1468 and received this further email today:
Hi Michael,

Thank you for the reply.

I have cc'd your 1469 request to Brian Perkey, Wyeast Customer Service
manager. He manages the Wyeast Private Collection program and bases
strains selections off of customer feedback.

Cheers,

Greg

Greg Doss
Quality Control Manager
Microbiologist/ Brewer
Wyeast Laboratories, Inc.
888-WYEAST-1 / Fax: 866-WYEAST-1
[email protected]

Now there's a thought. Rather than everyone annoying the shyte out of Greg maybe someone, say one of the mods who has a handle on how much traffic we get on the site etc, and maybe including the retailers as well could put together a single convincing Email on behalf of the forum members and do a 'bulk beg" for some more 1468? sort of like a bulk buy
:)

I also put in a bit of a plug for 1468 and received this further email today:

Now there's a thought. Rather than everyone annoying the shyte out of Greg maybe someone, say one of the mods who has a handle on how much traffic we get on the site etc, and maybe including the retailers as well could put together a single convincing Email on behalf of the forum members and do a 'bulk beg" for some more 1468? sort of like a bulk buy

1468? Is that the Aussie blokes version of 1469?

On another thread I posted some comments by Greg Doss of WYeast whom I'd Emailed about yeast authenticity. I also put in a bit of a plug for 1468 and received this further email today:
Hi Michael,

Thank you for the reply.

I have cc'd your 1469 request to Brian Perkey, Wyeast Customer Service
manager. He manages the Wyeast Private Collection program and bases
strains selections off of customer feedback.

Cheers,

Greg

Greg Doss
Quality Control Manager
Microbiologist/ Brewer
Wyeast Laboratories, Inc.
888-WYEAST-1 / Fax: 866-WYEAST-1
[email protected]

I did it last time and it resulted in the 1469 becoming available as a seasonal. :icon_cheers: These guys like to know what we want but like you said , dont go bothering the shite out of them.
GB

1468? Is that the Aussie blokes version of 1469?

Numeracy problems, it's 10.00 am and I only ever went to night school :unsure: . Actually I did get the number right in my original email to the guy.

My 2 c

There was enough bought during the last buy to keep everyone happy and in stock of this yeast for the foreseeable future.

I, like many others, have given out samples of this yeast to fellow brewers and still have plenty in stock in the 'yeast bank'.

If those who have it continue to look after it and give out samples there is no reason we cant still have it in stock the next time the seasonal release comes about.

I know i was able to get a sample from a fellow brewer before the last release. He had managed to keep it going for a few years.

/end DrSmurto's useless daily philosophising whilst indulging in a coffee reading AHB when he really should be doing work. :rolleyes:

I wasn't advocating a bulk buy as such, just a flag to Wyeast about the level of interest. Imagine getting it as a regular line, not just an occasional batch :)

Never used 1469, but stick 3864 in the list for "please return". What a great yeast. No wonder those Unibroue beers are all so good. Even a klutz like me can make a decent beer with it.

My 2 c

There was enough bought during the last buy to keep everyone happy and in stock of this yeast for the foreseeable future.

I, like many others, have given out samples of this yeast to fellow brewers and still have plenty in stock in the 'yeast bank'.

Well that's great for people who are expert slanters whatever and are in a cosy little circle of 'fellow brewers' but it doesn't do squat for the hundreds of forum members who are in places like Barossa, Port Mac, Bundaberg or Bribie or Port Douglas, nor for the many new guys going into all grain and don't happen to be in a handy metropolitan peer brewing group like Adelaide or inner West Sydney, and who are keen to experience the joy of UK ales. What would the opinion of the retailers be on this? They have a handle on where the active brewers actually are.

Well that's great for people who are expert slanters whatever and are in a cosy little circle of 'fellow brewers' but it doesn't do squat for the hundreds of forum members who are in places like Barossa, Port Mac, Bundaberg or Bribie or Port Douglas, nor for the many new guys going into all grain and don't happen to be in a handy metropolitan peer brewing group like Adelaide or inner West Sydney, and who are keen to experience the joy of UK ales. What would the opinion of the retailers be on this? They have a handle on where the active brewers actually are.

Take a chill pill Bribie.

My barossa mates would be a little aghast you think their valley is beyond the black stump miles from civilisation. Its a 45 min drive to beerbelly! I live just as far from the city as they do!

Bottle condition beers using 1469. Then you have it for years.

My 'yeast bank' is a rack of vials in a fridge with the yeast under water. Anyone can do that. I have never slanted and too be honest, couldnt be arsed.

If you are out of 1469 I am more than happy to seal up a vial and send it to you.

I've found that the brewers on this site go out of their way to help each other and a state border is yet to stop that.

Not trying to stop you mate, just offering an alternative.

Cheers
DrSmurto

Never used 1469, but stick 3864 in the list for "please return". What a great yeast. No wonder those Unibroue beers are all so good. Even a klutz like me can make a decent beer with it.

PoMo G&G always seem to have a plentiful but unloved supply of that strain in their discount bin. If you give them a call you may get lucky??

Given what you said I might give it a bash myself. Anything to enhance the Beligan Beauties.

Warren -

Take a chill pill Bribie.

My barossa mates would be a little aghast you think their valley is beyond the black stump miles from civilisation. Its a 45 min drive to beerbelly! I live just as far from the city as they do!

Bottle condition beers using 1469. Then you have it for years.

My 'yeast bank' is a rack of vials in a fridge with the yeast under water. Anyone can do that. I have never slanted and too be honest, couldnt be arsed.

If you are out of 1469 I am more than happy to seal up a vial and send it to you.

I've found that the brewers on this site go out of their way to help each other and a state border is yet to stop that.

Not trying to stop you mate, just offering an alternative.

Cheers
DrSmurto

Your'e right, nothing wrong with helping other brewers out as far as possible, I've sent Ringwood up to Toowoomba, even good old Mauri to Gunnedah. The point I was making specifically with 1469 is that why should we run the wagons into a circle and adopt a 'famine' mentality if there is a possibility of nudging a supplier into being a bit more generous with their yeast issues. On that point I read somewhere that White Labs are bringing out a 'Yorshire Square' yeast if they haven't already done so? If that's the case then it's hopefully an indication that they have twigged to the brewing community demanding this yeast and they see a few $$$ in it. hopefully Wyeast will see some dollar signs too.

PS never been further West than Dubbo, I think I got the Barossa mixed up with the Riverina although that's just up the road isn't it? ;)

Quick Edit:

* WLP037 Yorkshire Square Ale Yeast
PLATINUM STRAIN – September/October
This yeast produces a beer that is malty, but well-balanced. Expect flavors that are toasty with malt-driven esters. Highly flocculent and good choice for English pale ales, English brown ales, and mild ales.
Attenuation: 68-72%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-70F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

I think it's a good sign that a company like Wyeast appear to listen to the users, many other companies you're lucky to get a response and when you do it's a cut and paste job. Hopefully they'll culture 1469 available again one day, certainly I'd buy a fresh culture even if I do get a culture in the meantime.

+1, tho not so fired up.

I'd love to get my hands on some 1469 for my TTL but I live in Rockhampton and the chances are very slim. For people like myself who are still new to the AG and a long way from the metropolitan areas the only way to get yeast strains is to buy them, mail order. So bring it on I say.

By the way Dr Smurto I'll take you up on that offer for some 1469 but you might be starting somthing. Your PM box will be full in 30 sec I reckon. Shite, I'll buy it off you if you can get it to Rocky in useable condition.

Cheers

Edit : Couldn't spell it so i deleted :lol:

Ian

PoMo G&G always seem to have a plentiful but unloved supply of that strain in their discount bin. If you give them a call you may get lucky??
I carried out one of my semi-regular scrounges thru the discount bin looking for something to take my fancy today. Hate to say it, but no 1469 (plenty of the stuff at home).

Stubbie

I did it last time and it resulted in the 1469 becoming available as a seasonal. :icon_cheers: These guys like to know what we want but like you said , dont go bothering the shite out of them.
GB

Just what did you do last time?

Peter

Given what you said I might give it a bash myself. Anything to enhance the Beligan Beauties.

Warren -

I've still got my strain going, but thanks for the tip,

Boont!

Any progress on this. Is it possible to get a thread going so people can show interst in getting 1469. That way we could email wyeast with some numbers.

I think BribieG is onto something here.

Latest posts

Back