1469 In A Few Weeks Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
From WYeast

Hi Michael,

4th quarter will offer the 1469, but the 1768 is not scheduled at this
time.

Sincerely,

Candy Abercrombie

Customer Service and Sales Representative

Wyeast Laboratories, Inc.

888-WYEAST-1 / Fax: 866-WYEAST-1

:icon_cheers:

Awesome, thanks Bribie. Haven't tried 1469 yet, gotta be bloody quick round these parts <_<

*yawn*

All you need is slants baby! :drinks:

I'm tending to that idea myself :icon_cheers:
Nottingham. Brigalow yeast, the future is mine I say, mine................ :icon_drunk:

I tried 1469 in a handful of beers and I gotta say I really wasn't impressed, it was way too fruity, almost tasted belgiany, like ardennes yeast. That's great for a belgian, but not an ESB. This was 3 seperate batches all exhibited the same charactaristics, so I burnt all my slants then threw them into lake.

Originally, Yorkshire Stone Squares were run at about 16 degrees (edit: pitched at 14.7 C and allowed to rise to 16.66 C) and were very accurately 'attemperated' to keep them at that temp, as the square was actually one square sitting inside another with a gap between them that water was circulated through. I don't know how 'authentic' 1469 is in this regard, but I always use it at around 16 to 17 and get great results. Yes Yes I know they say to use it hotter but like the above poster I find it does get overly fruity at warmer temperatures.

I tried 1469 in a handful of beers and I gotta say I really wasn't impressed, it was way too fruity, almost tasted belgiany, like ardennes yeast. That's great for a belgian, but not an ESB. This was 3 seperate batches all exhibited the same charactaristics, so I burnt all my slants then threw them into lake.

Where is the rage emoticon??!! :angry: :p

Originally, Yorkshire Stone Squares were run at about 16 degrees (edit: pitched at 14.7 C and allowed to rise to 16.66 C) and were very accurately 'attemperated' to keep them at that temp, as the square was actually one square sitting inside another with a gap between them that water was circulated through. I don't know how 'authentic' 1469 is in this regard, but I always use it at around 16 to 17 and get great results. Yes Yes I know they say to use it hotter but like the above poster I find it does get overly fruity at warmer temperatures.

You've convinced me, I'll give it a crack a cooler temperatures, I think this is almost definitely it.

Where is the rage emoticon??!! :angry: :p

:lol:

I've had similar experiences to you Sammus in the 3 ESB's I've made with 1469. The way everyone raves about this yeast its good to hear its not just me who's unimpressed with it.

Jez

Maybe we need a certain brewer from QLD to tell the nay sayers that its your fault you are getting belgian aromatics from 1469 due to being poor brewers..... :rolleyes:

I personally subscribe to the theory that 1469 gets better a few generations later after continuously top cropping. I'm up to gen 4 from my last smack pack and the esters are really much more stonefruit like.

I know a few times i managed to get banana out of this yeast which threw me a bit so like Bribie, i now try to keep a tight leash on the beast and keep her at 18C, at least for the first 2 generations.

I'll be putting an order in for some more yorkshire loving.

Cheers
DrSmurto

p.s. Slants require sooooo much effort.

Top cropping FTW :beerbang:

Maybe we need a certain brewer from QLD to tell the nay sayers that its your fault you are getting belgian aromatics from 1469 due to being poor brewers..... :rolleyes:

haha, I was waiting for that :D

Top cropping FTW :beerbang:
Hear hear! Top Cropping is the way to propagate this stuff, and with such ease! But I keep some old- fashioned slants on hand anyway- unless you're wanting to brew with it both regularly (for optimum harvest) and continuously (so one batch right after another), which I do, you've got to have some on standby to restart with when you want to brew with something else for a bit. I guess slants are only one means of doing this though.
I can't say I've noticed it drift much to be honest, but I'll sometimes reset to a fresh one after about six or eight batches, however I think I'm on about the tenth right now and it is still tasting just superb and is as vigorous as ever.

BTW, many thanks indeed to our friend in SA for providing my original slants of this stuff, they've been muchly appreciated and he's a real champ! :icon_cheers:

And while we're at it, to our other pal also from SA, the Chinook rhizome is up! :super:

Craftbrewer have listed the re-release of WY1026 (Cask Ale) from the 1st of November..... :beerbang:

hate that strain eh, love the 1469 but absolutely despised the results I got from the 1026, but yeh, probly my brewing more than anything ;)

Latest posts

Back