13 Year Old Dextrose - 15 X 1kg Bags

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rendo

WTF
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Was over at Dad's today, we use to brew together over a decade ago. Now its just me brewing, started up again in the last 1-2 years.

Anyway, we found 15 x 1kg dex in bags in the basement which we had forgot about. We bought a bulk buy, 25kg and divided this into 1kg bags, sealed and stored in a dark & dry place for the last 13 odd years. It looks fine. Tastes fine.

Who'd take the chance? I reckon its okay. I definitely will use it for priming.

I know dex is cheap, but chucking out 15kg of what seems to be perfectly fine dex is crazy.

Thoughts? Comments?

Rendo

I know bacteria don't like high sugar environments, and in all likelihood it's fine, but wouldn't it be safer to use it in the boil?

I expect if the ancient Egyptians had buried a well sealed pot of dex in a tomb it would still be good enough to brew. Use it, but maybe do a 90s themed brew day wearing Seinfeld type clothing and maybe some Fatboy Slim going on in the background B)

I expect if the ancient Egyptians had buried a well sealed pot of dex in a tomb it would still be good enough to brew. Use it, but maybe do a 90s themed brew day wearing Seinfeld type clothing and maybe some Fatboy Slim going on in the background B)

At an airport!

Hi Guys,

Was over at Dad's today, we use to brew together over a decade ago. Now its just me brewing, started up again in the last 1-2 years.

Anyway, we found 15 x 1kg dex in bags in the basement which we had forgot about. We bought a bulk buy, 25kg and divided this into 1kg bags, sealed and stored in a dark & dry place for the last 13 odd years. It looks fine. Tastes fine.

I know dex is cheap, but chucking out 15kg of what seems to be perfectly fine dex is crazy.

Thoughts? Comments?

Rendo

Make a cup of tea and put in 2 scoops. If you wake up happy the next day you have no need to buy dex for priming or whatever else for a long time. Apart from clumping or ants, I can't imagine too much could go wrong with dex in sealed bags (and the ants would have to be super bag penetrating ants like the ones in the japanese comics.

hahaha

**** you guys are funny...

super panties bag penetrating ants....like the ones in the ants pants commercial? (she was hot!)
fat boy slim!! hahaha
kramer busting thru the door...."Hold the phone jerry...3000 year old egyptian dextrose..."...."whats with egyptian dextrose"

and now I have the seinfeld theme song in my head..... and crap load of dextrose

I will make a tea or coffee with it manitcle...good suggestion.

Make a cup of tea and put in 2 scoops. If you wake up happy the next day you have no need to buy dex for priming or whatever else for a long time. Apart from clumping or ants, I can't imagine too much could go wrong with dex in sealed bags (and the ants would have to be super bag penetrating ants like the ones in the japanese comics.

I know bacteria don't like high sugar environments, and in all likelihood it's fine, but wouldn't it be safer to use it in the boil?

10 points for thinking.....good idea...

I assume dex doesnt alter (much) in the boil? Wouldnt darken as there is no colour? flavour change? there isnt any is there??

I have 75KG of it thats almost 10 year old......... its still fine!

Use it up :)

Shit, thats one mega bulk buy. Did u get a tipper to deliver that? :)
I hope they didnt dump it on your lawn without putting a sheet of plastic down first.
Maybe you could get a brew going in a small pool in your backyard....chuck some priming sugar in once fermented, seal tightly,
organise a party
and then you have one helluva 'beer spa party', so good that you can even drink the spa water!! (maybe......or maybe not)

Anyway, seriously, thanks for telling me Tony, the verdict is clear. (just wanted to check with you guys first!)

Renod

I have 75KG of it thats almost 10 year old......... its still fine!

Use it up :)

10 points for thinking.....good idea...

I assume dex doesnt alter (much) in the boil? Wouldnt darken as there is no colour? flavour change? there isnt any is there??

I only ever use dex in a boil anyway as I usually only use it for bulk priming (although it's been used once and is a candidate for future aussie type ales - again chucked in the boil).

It will change colour like any other sugar if you boil it long and hot enough to caramelise it.

i used to work in a starch plant that made dextrose. On a late night callin you could just go "pour yourself a 25 KG bag"

I had 100kg but down to 75 now...... used it for bulk priming and brewing over the years.

cheers

Shit, thats one mega bulk buy. Did u get a tipper to deliver that? :)
I hope they didnt dump it on your lawn without putting a sheet of plastic down first.
Maybe you could get a brew going in a small pool in your backyard....chuck some priming sugar in once fermented, seal tightly,
organise a party
and then you have one helluva 'beer spa party', so good that you can even drink the spa water!! (maybe......or maybe not)

Anyway, seriously, thanks for telling me Tony, the verdict is clear. (just wanted to check with you guys first!)

Renod
Just had a random flashback to the Simpsons episode where Homer stole a huge pile of sugar from an overturned sugar tanker, and hoarded it in a pile in his backyard, guarding it against all-comers. :lol:

Aussie lager or Oz bitter anyone?

Fair enough....well it looks like I have a large amount of dex to experiment with, (just as I was moving away from using dex altogether, except for bulk priming....

I only ever use dex in a boil anyway as I usually only use it for bulk priming (although it's been used once and is a candidate for future aussie type ales - again chucked in the boil).

It will change colour like any other sugar if you boil it long and hot enough to caramelise it.

Thats a pretty good perk of the job!

tony said:
i used to work in a starch plant that made dextrose. On a late night callin you could just go "pour yourself a 25 KG bag"
I had 100kg but down to 75 now...... used it for bulk priming and brewing over the years.

Hello All,

It looks like this dex is a no-go.

I opened a bag today, they are in 1kg clear plastic bags, sealed with tape. When I poured some of the dex out into a cup it smelt 'plasticky'. Not just midly, but rather strongly.

So I:

Method (thanks for the suggestion manticle)
1) got a mug of boiled water, chucked two teaspoons of the 13yo dex in.
2) got a mug of boiled water, chucked two teaspoons of new dex in

Results:
Upon drinking cup 2 it simply tasted like water with a little sweetness that was hard to detect at best
Upon drinking cup 1 it tastes FOUL.....it had a plasticky type taste that isntantly smeared over the inside of my mouth and felt almost greasy, slimy to taste. :icon_vomit:

Conclusion:
I am going to have to dump it...... FAR OUT....15kg of dex to the bin. Cant bring myself to do it, but I will later today or tomorrow. its a REAL SHAME, but I dont want to ingest it and I dont want my beer tasting like plastic. Maybe I can drop it by CUB....I am sure it'd make no difference to megaswill? :lol:
So, i am certain the real problem here isnt the dex, but the bags that the dex was stored in has leeched some sort of shit into the dex. I'd hate to think what it is, I am sure its unhealthy...... all this = BEGONE....

:angry:

Rendo

Bury it so you don't get the entire ant community of NSW having a tea party at your house.

Hi Guys,

Thoughts? Comments?

Rendo

GET SOME LEMONS AND A RECIPE FOR HARD LEMONADE, TRY USING THE DEX AS A YEAST STARTER, IF THE YEAST KICKS IT SHOULD BE OK,BUT BEST TO BOIL IT BEFORE USE ANYHOW

DISCLAIMER: SAID HARD LEMONADE MAY RESULT IN NON-STOP SHOUTING.

Brilliant....

Or put it out on bin night maybe....

either way....

i wonder if it would be okay in my compost....

probably....

If i remember properly, u compost also manticle....ur thoguhts? Compost?

Bury it so you don't get the entire ant community of NSW having a tea party at your house.

Almost anything that can break down goes into my garden somewhere. I'm not an expert on compost by any means but that's where I would put it.

Latest posts

Back