1272 Lag?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sydneybrewer

Reaction score
gday all,

well as the topic header states i think (hope) i have a lag in my 1272, i was making a batch of my anzac amber ale from the recipe DB, pitched the 1272 (no starter flame suit on) after having the pack swell up overnight, well it has now been 36 hrs and no sign of a krausen and no drop in gravity still stable at 1.054, oh and fermenter sitting at 18c. well my question is do you guys think i am just experiencing lag? i mean the pack swelled so the yeast must be alive yes, am i worrying about nothing. i have a dry pack of us-05 on standby and had to stop myself tonight from chucking it in, thought i would post here first before i go to such measures.

Patience Grasshopper...all is good.... :)

cheers Ross

Woke up this morning and nice little krausen has formed, guess i was worried about nothing.

Woke up this morning and nice little krausen has formed, guess i was worried about nothing.

:icon_cheers:

...also, I'm not sure if you've used 1272 much, but it can sometimes slow down after a few days and then pick up again. I've used it almost exclusively over the last few months and have noticed that phenomena at least %40 of the time. Not sure if it is a characteristic of the yeast or if there is something wrong with my process (mind you after reading the new Chris White Yeast book I know there are a HEAP of things wrong with my process haha).

I brewed an Amber ale a couple of weeks ago and I did the exact same as you just threw in the 1272 with no starter. Had about 36 hours lag then it took off and fermented just fine.

Although I currently have a brown ale that I just pitched straight onto the amber ale yeast cake and I had high krausen within about 4 hours I think and 4 days later its pretty well done.

So overall I would say that making a starter would have helped your situation but if your like me and dont stress about fast fermentation, you should be fine :D

Back