100% Rye Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardy

BI3V
Reaction score
gday brewers,
a couple of guys have asked how the all rye mash went so here's a few notes,

as you'd guess the recipe is pretty basic ;)
6.000 Weyermann Rye
1.000 Rice Gulls

bittered with a single hop, Horizon, Danstar Nottingham for Tony.

Ross tipped me to up the mash volume as he'd had success with high %age rye brews by upping the water and i thought extra volume for the mash out as well, that's why i built the 48 Litre Mash Tun, as the old 25 lt tun wouldn't handle it.
it would be interesting to do the mash without the gulls and see if it's just the extra water that is the secret.

anyway, i added an extra 3 litres to the beersmith calcs for both mash and mash out, the sparge volume remained the same, i stopped the run off at 34 litres into the Kettle.

the sparge was nothing to worry about, i wasn't too sure how the new manifold would go but it was fine.
fast or slow run-off didn't alter anything, it never even looked like sticking.

the chilled wort has the viscosity of sump oil, it'll be interesting to see how this turns out, can't wait.

i have all the numbers up in the shed so i'll post up efficiency etc if anyone wants.

Cheers
Yardy

Very interesting, definitely keen to hear how this one comes out!

I have 1.7kg of rye that I am keen to put into use very soon. Haven't done any research on it yet so am keen on gathering any info I can.

I presume most rye beers are around 50/50 rye/barley???

Good luck with it. :beerbang:

gday brewers,
a couple of guys have asked how the all rye mash went so here's a few notes,

as you'd guess the recipe is pretty basic ;)
6.000 Weyermann Rye
1.000 Rice Gulls
Ahh... i get it now...
Rice Hulls (or Gulls ???) are to allow drainage thru an otherwise stuck mash due to super mooshy grains, like rye.

Thats interesting Yardy. I am just formulating a recipe for my first Roggenbier and was alittle worried about using 50% rye. 100% makes me sound like a wimp

clay

I'd love to taste some of that... I'm a big fan of a double RyePA I did recently (yes thats meant to be a pun on double IPA). I wasn't a fan of it for about 6 months, but held on to a thin glimmer of hope, and now its one of my favourites - I can just tell the keg is about to blow :(

congrats, yardy. congrats :icon_cheers: .

i remember our creeping the Roggen's from 30 to 35 to 40, etc.

100%=too sweet.

reVox

Very interesting, definitely keen to hear how this one comes out!

I have 1.7kg of rye that I am keen to put into use very soon. Haven't done any research on it yet so am keen on gathering any info I can.

I presume most rye beers are around 50/50 rye/barley???

Good luck with it. :beerbang:

Thats interesting Yardy. I am just formulating a recipe for my first Roggenbier and was alittle worried about using 50% rye. 100% makes me sound like a wimp

clay

T.D & clay,

there's a really good thread here that Tony started, ROGGENBIER, it has some tested recipes in there.

reVox, Sammus & SB, cheers :)

Yardy

Cheers Yardy, I did see that.

Currently drinking a Rye IPA with 16% rye and love the mouthfeel of this beer. picked up some rye yesterday and will be doing the Roggen as soon as I have an empty fermenter Was thinking
2kg rye
1.25kg Munich I
1.25kg Pils
0.25kg Caraaroma
0.08kg Carafa II
15 IBUs with something noble at 60min
Danstar Munich yeast

good choice, the three Roggens i've done i used US-05, WB-06 & T-58 Belgian, Munich next i suppose.

Cheers

Danstar Nottingham for Tony.

Now i could sell you the pack of Nottingham in my fridge but that wouldnt make it "Tony Nottingham" would it :lol: :p

it would be interesting to do the mash without the gulls and see if it's just the extra water that is the secret.

Good to see them called by their propper name. I dont know where they all get their "hulls" word from?

Mate.......... youve inspired me. In thinking i may do the same, just to make some sump oil. I thought to myself when you forst posted you did it......... I bet its going to run from the bottle like Mobil 1!

I bet it will taste much better.

Was it fairly pale? I recon some crystal and chocolate rye in the mix would really spice things up.

I have some wheay yeast floating around in my fridge that Les gave me........... might have to put it to good use!

cheers

Mmmm, chocolate rye... B)

go to it mate, i'll swap you a couple of bottles of mine for yours when it's done :)
it is fairly pale, pale but turbid if you know what i mean.

Cheers
Yardy

go the gulls !

:lol: no worries mate

cheers

Nottingham :eek:

just checked the brew and @ 17*C it has a krausen well over 100mm thick B)
thank chrize for 30lt fermenters.

first time Nottingham user btw.

Cheers
Yardy

good choice, the three Roggens i've done i used US-05, WB-06 & T-58 Belgian, Munich next i suppose.

Cheers

Yardy,

Which yeast do you think had the best influence over the beer?

Rook

tr,

in order of personal preference i'd say
#1. US-05
#2. WB-06
#3. T-58
that's just me though

hopefully clay will post up his findings with the Munich, i'd say that's next on the cards for me.

Cheers
Yardy

Would there be any issues with the resulting beers FG not giving a correct alcohol content due to it's syrupy nature? I've wondered this after adding rye to stouts and ending up with a higher than normal high finishing gravity.

cheers

Browndog

tr,

in order of personal preference i'd say
#1. US-05
#2. WB-06
#3. T-58
that's just me though

hopefully clay will post up his findings with the Munich, i'd say that's next on the cards for me.

Cheers
Yardy

The reason for choosing Munich yeast is because I believe a roggenbier is pretty much a dunkleweizen using rye instead of wheat. I liked the Hefe I made with Munich but dont like WB06. Anyway, probably a couple of weeks before I get a chance to put this on down

Would there be any issues with the resulting beers FG not giving a correct alcohol content due to it's syrupy nature? I've wondered this after adding rye to stouts and ending up with a higher than normal high finishing gravity.

cheers

Browndog

good question, wouldn't have a clue though.

anyone....

Cheers
Yardy

cheers

Browndog

Tony, a very interesting question, for which i don't have the answer - If it does affect it though, i'd expect it to increase the SG & FG, so overall you'd still have the correct alcohol content.

cheers Ross

That is a god question!

The one i made a while back used about 45% rye from memory and lots of munich............. basicly a rye Dunkelweizen....... and while it had a high finnishing gravity, i did decoction mash it at higher temps than i would these days (i was self learning) and my yeast died from alc shock once it got over 6%

The beer had an oiley texture but was dry in the mouth, a very interesting combo to drink.

And my preference would be for 3068. None of the dry yeasts come close IMO. I found the Danstar Munich to be nice but it still had an apple tartness that i personly dont want in a wheat type beer. I love the soft babanna and mild clove of 3068.

my 2c worth :)

cheers

Latest posts

Back