100 Litre Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fritz and sauce

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a 100 litre fermenter. I have a suitable area for it, which is constantly at 15 degrees. Being able to make 5 kegs at once and letting them mature seems like a good way to get ahead with maturing kegs. I assume they get better with age like bottles.

Is it a matter of just using 4 cans prepared in the suitable manner, adding the water and the sprinkling in 4 sachets of yeast. Adding the yeast into such a large amount of liquid is the area which concerns me. Also if you brewed only 2 brews ( or cans of goo ) in a 100 litre container which would only be half full ( or half empty ) would this be asking for trouble. Beerbelly here in Adelaide sells these 100 Lt fermenters with all the trimmings for $79.95. Thanks in advance for anyone prepared to give an opinion.

It is going to depend on the gravity of what you are brewing, but it would be a good idea if you are putting all of your eggs in one basket, to treat it reeeeeeal good. No-one wants to have 5 kegs worth of bad beer. I would be at least making a starter. And I would want the entire volume boiled and sterile-oxygenated. It would be crushing to have that go sour on you.

treat it reeeeeeal good.
+1
For such a large batch - I'd prepare a sizable yeast starter before hand (ie like a 10 litre starter) 100 liters of bad beer would be a bit of a downer...
100 litres of beer is bloody heavy - you won't be able to move the fermenter when full unless you put it on wheels.
Having the fermenter half full is not an issue.

I think i remember reading about a guy on here using a 44 gallon drum to ferment in. He was using 9 cans a pop if i recall correctly. Maybe do a search for that thread, there might be some good pointers in it.

Thanks for the replies. The eggs all in one basket theory is always worth considering, but if the 100 Lt fermenter could be used from 1 can to 4 cans then it has some flexibility.

100 litres will be just fine. You don't need to do anything different. The temps will be a bit higher in larger quantities but you 15 degrees will handle that.
It is a good opportunity to see how the flavour of your beer changes over time as it conditions and matures.
I used to do 60 litres for the same reason.
60 plastic fermenters are about $50
If you use dried yeast, pitch 1g/2L and you wont have any probs.

Thanks for the replies. The eggs all in one basket theory is always worth considering, but if the 100 Lt fermenter could be used from 1 can to 4 cans then it has some flexibility.
Would love a couple of bigger fermenters... Would be niceo push out some bigger volumes.

My only concern for suh big fermenter is bottling/kegging. I ferment in a fridge and realy wouldn't be able to lift it out to drain the contents.

I assume you'll need to keep it pretty high if you plan to get the contents out at bottling/kegging time

Latest posts

Back