10 minute IPAs are good for school night brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyPaul

Reaction score
Last night I did a 10minute IPA.

With a 60 minute mash and 10 minute Boil it was the quickest all grain brew I have done

Switched the urn on at 7.45pm

Cleaned up and packed away at 11.15pm.

I always assumed you should do the 60 min boil regardless of the hop additions

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but 10min IPAs still require a full 60 min boil just you only add hops at 10 minutes.

The boil time is still needed to boil off the unwanted things which unfortunately 10 mins just wouldn't have achieved.

I would imagine you would have a whole batch of DMS.

I hope it turns out for you...

yep, the 10 min means only hops at 10 but still a 60 min + boil

Surely if you wanted a good school night brew, you'd shoot for a Berliner Weisse?

View attachment Book2.pdfIf this was no chill, then he still would have got a reasonable amount of utilisation (probably out of style for an IPA); adequate pasteurisation, the beer might not clear/have a serious chill-haze issue (unless fined with polyclar, brewbrite or other heavy duty fining agent). It will have a DMS issue, but hopefully some of that will be blown off with a vigorous fermentation. Cant recall if yeast metabolise DMS to DMSO which wont impact the flavour/aroma as much. Anyway I've drawn up a table in excel for the half life of DMS as a function of boil time so you can extrapolate how much might be left.

GrumpyPaul said:
Last night I did a 10minute IPA.

With a 60 minute mash and 10 minute Boil it was the quickest all grain brew I have done

Switched the urn on at 7.45pm

Cleaned up and packed away at 11.15pm.
4 hrs total time... 60 mins mash..

me's thinking he did a 60min boil with a 10min addition..

but..

micblair said:
attachicon.gif
Book2.pdfIf this was no chill, then he still would have got a reasonable amount of utilisation (probably out of style for an IPA); adequate pasteurisation, the beer might not clear/have a serious chill-haze issue (unless fined with polyclar, brewbrite or other heavy duty fining agent). It will have a DMS issue, but hopefully some of that will be blown off with a vigorous fermentation. Cant recall if yeast metabolise DMS to DMSO which wont impact the flavour/aroma as much. Anyway I've drawn up a table in excel for the half life of DMS as a function of boil time so you can extrapolate how much might be left.
other way around - DMSO broken down by yeast to DMS

All I can say is FARRRK.......

I really should research these things better.

No its not No-chill - in fact my counterflow chiller works well dropping the temp to low 20s by the time the urn has drained

Boil was a bit longer than just the 10mins by allowing it to get up to a good rollng boil before the hops went in - so maybe 20 - 30 maximum.

But still too short by the sound of it.

The yeast is pitched so its too late to reboil it tonight....

I guess this ones gets chalked up as a learning experience.......

Probably destined for the drain - but will wait and see how it ferments out.

Feeling just a tad stupid right now. :(

I guess this ones gets chalked up as a learning experience.......

Probably destined for the drain - but will wait and see how it ferments out.

Feeling just a tad stupid right now. :(

What was the grain bill?

I think with an attitude like that you may be pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything

To counter some points above on speaking to a Pro Brewer and occasional poster on this site I was surprised to hear him say that when using a highly modified malts a short boil is enough and that LCPA (not brewed by him) was in fact about a 20 minute boil. Could be hogwash but he does't seem like the bloke to talk crap.

Just wait and see how the beer comes out Paul.

Hmm, I shall be watching with interest. Would be nice to nail out a quick brew during the week. I suppose IPA would be a style that you might be able to hide problems with a big ferment hop or keg hop to drown out those nasty DMS's.

18ltre batch

3.2 kg Ale Malt
1kg Wheat Malt
300g Torrefed Wheat
100g Munich 1
100g Choc Malt

86g of CTZ (13.1%AA)

So before I make anymore stupid mistakes - what do you think about dry hopping this one. Would a boost of flavour from dry hopping hide/mask problems caused bythe DMS?

try it in about a week, if it seems ok throw a handful in, if it's seems crap, throw 3 handfuls in a do a case swap :)

Back