10 Litre cube Looks Burnt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfman86

Reaction score
So i decided i was going to do half batches to be able to brew more/learn more in a shorter period of time, so i got a couple 10 litre HDPE2 containers from bunnings (https://www.bunnings.com.au/icon-plastics-10l-blue-tint-camper-carrier-with-tap_p3240535). I brewed a stout today, put it in the cube and left it for a few hours and came back to find the cube has what looks like burn marks on it. The cube has the symbol with the 2 inside the triangle so surely its the right plastic, anybody ever come across this or used the same containers.

2016-06-12 20.26.28.jpg

2016-06-12 20.25.47.jpg

before you filled them, was the colour a bit different on the corners? like maybe lighter

Maybe it's the photo but it looks like stout wort in a cube to me. Hot wort might soften or melt some plastic, but not char it.

My guess is what bevan said just the colour of the wort more visible in corners due to stretched\thinner plastic

Actually took the time and had a good look,it is stout wort through thinner spots in the plastic... duh.

Haha. Yes I've used the same containers and had the same effect. Puzzled me at first too. Its when the wort cools and clears it looks darker from when it goes in hot. Maybe the plastic gets clearer as well. No stain after cleaning etc.

Latest posts

Back