Help understanding cider process

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilFugg

Reaction score
Hi, so I read the "Definitive(ish) guide to cider" on this subforum but I think I am missing a lot of background information. I suppose maybe it is made for people who have made beer before. I have made cider before but it has been within the plastic bottle that the juice was supplied in when I bought it from Woolies. It was pretty arse.

When doing things properly, I think I need a fermenter but I don't quite understand what that means. The brewshops sell fermenters but also I've seen people on here say they use the Bunnings water storage things. That seems strange to me since you cannot see the contents. Also, how do you measure SG, is it just by taking some out of the tap? Surely if I take the lid off that thing it'll allow too much oxygen to be near the fermentation process.

As for actually putting it in, is it just a matter of filling that water storage thing with ~9 apple juices from Woolies? I imagine you need to leave some room at the top, plus I would want to add some tea for tannins. A lot of people talk about adding campden tablets but pasteurized juice should not require this.

A lot of people talk about a secondary ferment. Is this simply piping(?) the liquid from one Bunnings tank into another to let it sit some more? Do you leave behind a lot of cider so you don't move the crap that sits on the bottom? This would mean you'd need to top it up right?

Where do I obtain good yeast on the Southside? I have a local brewing shop but they don't seem to have a lot going on. They have 10ish strains of Wine Yeast, which I understand should work for cider. I'm thinking of using "MA33" based purely on their description on the site.

Howdy. I'll tackle your questions :)

1. A fermenter is any vessel in which you ferment something. It can be something from the brew shop or a Bunnings water cube or whatever. You don't have to be able to see the contents, but a tap is very handy for taking a sample for testing the SG. You can remove the lid briefly without much risk of oxygen contamination.

2. Yes you can fill it up with Woolies juice, but the better the juice quality the better the cider. See if any local orchards near you stock preservative-free juice in your local grocery or something. Leave a bit of headspace for foaming, adding a couple of cups of strong tea for tannin if you wish. Even with non-pasteurised juice, campden tablets are optional.

3. Secondary ferment for cider is optional.Yes, you can pipe (rack) it from one cube to the other, leaving behind a litre or so with the yeast. You can top it up with apple juice but then you have to wait for that to referment. For your first attempt, don't bother with secondary ferment in another tank.

4. A wine yeast should work fine. EC1118 is a champagne yeast that is popular. You can also use Nottingham or similar beer yeast.

Latest posts

Back