10% Anyone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stixor

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has made a beer that has 10% alcohol content?

A guy at work want me to make him some.

Just wondering if anyone has made a beer that has 10% alcohol content?

A guy at work want me to make him some.

You could do a toucan.
Add enough dex/glucose/LME and it will be up there in the 10% range, Probably taste like shit though. (Mine all did)
Better off settling around the 6% range and at least have it drinkable.
I came to the conclusion that its bloody hard to make a big strong beer with kits.

Wish i started BIAB loooong before wasting money with cans of goop. AG For The Win!

I've made 9-10% belgian ales from extract.

Was a fiddly fermentation, but a great beer in the end.

Split the wort into 5 small batches and added these the fermentation a day apart. So the yeast for the whole batch basically got a little starter, then that yeast got another feed the next day and so on.

Doable, but fiddly.

Doing the coopers sparkling ale by the recipe on the back of the can produces a pritty strong, but very drinkable brew (6-7%).
Not really close to your 10% needs though.

I suspect that the more knowledgable guys (than me) on here will suggest that the type of yeast you use is important for a high alcohol beer. Different yeasts have different alcohol tolerances as far as I know.

I read somewhere about a guy needing to use champagne yeast to do a 13% beer.

As indicated it gets a little fiddly when you aim for high % beers. Fermentation can stall and you can get really overpowering flavors unless you use the right procedure or yeast.

Unless you have quite a bit of brewing experience or are keen on a challenge I would sudgest doing a double can of Coopers Pale Ale. Same amount of water, just two cans. That will get you a pretty well balanced beer that is very drinkable and about 7.7% depending on your attenuation.

Cheers,

I did a extract barley wine recently, came in at 9.5% and 80 IBU..

Its amazing.. but HOT HOT.. not an everyday drinker.

I brew at between 6 and 8 % as a norm.

I have my fermentation under good temp. control and know what the yeast I use can achieve at what temps.

All advice above is good!

BUT you need the yeast to do the work...

Couple of options in my 2c.

Use a good WYeast like 3787 and run pretty warm, 22 deg., leave for at least 2 weeks to finish!

OR use a Champaign or Turbo yeast and still brew pretty warm....

I hope it helps.

EDIT: Obviously you know to add sugars to get the SG up. I would use even amounts of DEx and LDME!

Actually, although light kits would taste pretty gruesome made to that strength, a good strong toucan recipe is simply:

2 Cans Coopers Stout
1kg LDME
1kg Dextrose
Dry hop with 20g of Styrian Goldings or any hop of choice

Use one sachet of the kit yeast which is Mauribrew 514 that will ferment happily up to 9.5%

The brew turns out around 9%, the bitterness from the two cans is nicely balanced by all those fermentables, and it's ready to drink in a month.

I did a toucan with coopers lager which tastes great after eight months in the bottle.
2 cans coopers lager
1kg LDME
500g coopers BE2
40g Saaz on flameout

When I was younger and dumber my mate and I brewed something that was way over 10%... I often used to boast that it was closer to fifteen but that was probably closer to my mental age at the time... :icon_vomit:

He bought a complete Coopers kit from Kmart, and made the first brew, then forgot about it for maybe six weeks, and fessed up that he'd forgotten it and he wanted to tip it out. I suggested we experiment, and try to 'double brew' ... we dissolved another 2 kg of sugar in hot water and mixed it into the wort. We then chucked in some more yeast. Lo and behold it began fermenting again and we eventually bottled it and drank it.

It wasn't great tasting but a couple of bottles would have you on your ear in no time. We called it 'get pissed fast lager' and it tasted like a pot of beer with a shot of vodka in it. I think anything I have made since could only have been an improvement.

As I said in that thread, Morgan's Queenslander kits have 514.

My suggestion is to use S-189, it's a clean lager yeast and survives past 10%.

Good luck in trying to not turn out a horrible beer!

I really dont get the negativity in this thread.
10% beers, while not common in Australia, are a valid style of beer.
Sure, a 10% pilsner or lager will, more often than not, leave you with a foul taste in your mouth, but many fantastic beers are over 10%abv.
I actually prefer HG beers, to LG ones. Its not complicated, just drink less!

I would recommend you aim for one of three styles of beer.
Imperial Stout
Belgian Trippel or Strong Ale
English Barley Wine

At a quick guess, for 20 litres, I would say:
Imperial Stout
2 cans of Coopers Stout
1kg of LDME
1kg of DDME
1kg Dex
2 sachets of US05 or 04 yeast.. whatever takes your fancy.

Belgian Ale
2 cans of Coopers Canadain Blond or Mex Cerv
2kg LDME
1kg Dex.... add this Dex after a week of fermentation
3 bags of Wyeast Ardenne strain, or a 3 litre starter made from one pack

Barley Wine
2 cans coopers Pale Ale
1 can coopers Lager
1.5 kg LDME
1kg dex
2 sachets of US05 or 04 yeast.. whatever takes your fancy.

Sure, these arent gonna be award winning recipies, but I reckon as far as kits go, they will make good beers that arent too far removed from a style that does well with 10%abv

Yup, SB, if you take out the DDME from that stout, that's what I have brewed a couple of times last year. IGA had Coopers on special for $9 recently and I bought 4 cans of stout specially for my toucans. I'll be getting into them when this years comp brews are out of the way. Nottingham is a good yeast for this recipe as well.

The Barley Wine looks an interesting mix.

Wonder if the liver would survive for long if that is a 23L batch.

Back