1/2 A Kit In 1/2 The Volume = 1 K&k?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enuun

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Normally my brew consists of a kit + 1kg DME + some Dex for the kick + some a bag of hops
I was wondering if I can use 1 kit with half the volume of water ie. 12 litres instead of the usual 23 litres and skip the rest?
1/2 a kit + 1/2 the normal volume of water should make sense, at least to me.
Problems I would anticipate will prob be extra bitterness from the isohops because its 1/2 vol now.
Are there any other reasons why this might not be a good brew?

As with my pure cane sugar brew i am going to do, this will definitely be a go for me
For experiment sake =)

enuun

1 kit + 11L of water is pretty much the same as a toucan - 2 kits + 23L of water. I suggest searching for toucan threads.

I've just done something like this for a Choc "Headbanger" Stout, which was a half batch of a twocan recipe.
11L Volume
1 can Coopers Stout
500g LDME
500g dex
150g choc malt spec grains
12g Golding tea bag

Should end up at 8.9%

Have a play with Ianh's spreadsheet, it'll give you a really good idea about what works and what doesn't.

Try something like a Cervaza or Canadian blonde kit as they are only around 15IBU.

Add maybe 250g dex if you want a bit more kick and do a short boil of hops and even dry hop to boost flavour and aroma.

23L sounds better than 11L. Takes the same time to brew too! :)
But yeah, check out the toucan thread, it's basically the same thing.

Yep, go for a real light kit. Euro Lager would be my choice, chuck just a little LDME in there 200g) and 20g Saaz dry hopped. Never done this myself but it'd be my first thoughts on it. Oh, ferment with US-05 at 17 degrees, or a Lager yeast if you have some means on temp control

Last November I had a vial of Proculture Wood Ale (AKA 1469) and it looked like it was not going to be available again at that stage. A mate who had gone out of brewing had given me a tin of Coopers Euro Lager so I made up a half size brew, the tin only, and fermented with the Wood Ale yeast to yield 15 bottles, which I put away as 'seeders'.

Months passed and they have just sat there. I hear the Wood Ale will be back again soonish and decided to tip the lager as it was probably going to be old and stale, dead yeast and a weird beer anyway, a lager done on Yorkshire bitter yeast :huh: Anyway I cracked one last week and it was a very nice, smooth beer. Tasted not unlike a premium Aus commercial like Crown or Carlsberg BUL. I'm chilling them all down and I'll drink them. You wouldn't believe they are kit beers but I won't do it again as I don't have 8 months to spare :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back