Zero minute hop additions - Effect on overall IBU's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luxo_Aussie

Reaction score
G'day All,

I've been making some more hop-forward beers lately which have called for some late & zero minute additions to maximize the flavor & aroma. The problem is that some of these hops (Simcoe/Chinook) have high alpha acid contents and I'm concerned that these zero minute additions are adding more IBU's than intended. From minute zero, the wort spends about 5 additional minutes above 80 degrees after the boil before cooling reduces the temperature. This wouldn't be an issue for European styles, but IPA's & APA's there's up to 100g of hops (20L batch) at 0m so concerned that even a few extra minutes might increase the IBU's substantially.

Beersmith doesn't have these zero entries as affecting the IBU's but is this something worth considering? Just keen to see what others think about this issue - is this worth adjusting?

Thanks & Cheers!

In beersmith, change the hop addition to steep/whirlpool instead of boil and add the time above 80c (say 20min pending chilling etc) and this will add IBUs to your recipe.

As above Or alternatively, wait till the wort has dropped below about 80° before adding hops, then you can pretty much assume zero-ish IBU. Whatever you choose to do going forward, I'd aim to be consistent in your approach and evaluate the results so you can tweak things and be able to better predict future batches.

Since when is adding more IBUs a problem?

Seriously, you are best to keep accurate records, and adjust your regime based on your results.

As for BeerSmith, I've been using it for 12 years, ie in versions 1, 2 and 3, and for me it always under predicts the bitterness I am aiming to achieve, so I now adjust all my recipes to nominally show about 10 IBU more than the style requires.

Isn't it true that dry hopping actually can increase the bitterness - I thought I read this on AHB. I have been doing some big dry hops which are mouthwateringly hoppy for a week or so. However, if I don't finish it in a couple of weeks, they seem to be getting less aromatic and fruity, and more bitter.

Since when is adding more IBUs a problem?

Seriously, you are best to keep accurate records, and adjust your regime based on your results.

As for BeerSmith, I've been using it for 12 years, ie in versions 1, 2 and 3, and for me it always under predicts the bitterness I am aiming to achieve, so I now adjust all my recipes to nominally show about 10 IBU more than the style requires.

This wouldn't have normally been a problem, but after changing the 0m boil addition to a 5 min whirlpool @90deg (as per Dozer71's comments) on a 1% beer added 25% to the overall IBU's. Bottled last night & it should be fine after some extra time for intense the hop flavors/aromas to even out. Dry hopping 40g of Amarillo on a batch with an OG of 1014 might also have played a part...

Thanks to all for the feedback - looks like getting the balance right isn't all about numbers, it's trial & error, repeating batches & keeping records.

This wouldn't have normally been a problem, but after changing the 0m boil addition to a 5 min whirlpool @90deg (as per Dozer71's comments) on a 1% beer added 25% to the overall IBU's. Bottled last night & it should be fine after some extra time for intense the hop flavors/aromas to even out. Dry hopping 40g of Amarillo on a batch with an OG of 1014 might also have played a part...

Thanks to all for the feedback - looks like getting the balance right isn't all about numbers, it's trial & error, repeating batches & keeping records.
If you haven't got Gordon Strong's book (sorry can't remember if it is the first or second book) it is worthwhile getting, his Summer Rye recipe adds the one and only addition at flame out and estimates 25 IBU if I remember right. A very pleasant beer too.

If you haven't got Gordon Strong's book (sorry can't remember if it is the first or second book) it is worthwhile getting, his Summer Rye recipe adds the one and only addition at flame out and estimates 25 IBU if I remember right. A very pleasant beer too.
His second book, Modern Homebrew Recipes looks like it would probably have it. Ordered off Amazon.

Great Book, here's the recipe and some of the tasting/formulation notesView media item 11045View media item 11044
img_20200218_163545.11045

img_20200218_163935.11044

I'm pretty sure 4lb isn't 4.5kg, probably better to use something like 1.81kg. 3lb is 1.361kg. he appears to have a pretty relaxed attitude to weight conversion. His fluid conversions are pretty rough to.
Mark

I'm pretty sure 4lb isn't 4.5kg, probably better to use something like 1.81kg. 3lb is 1.361kg. he appears to have a pretty relaxed attitude to weight conversion. His fluid conversions are pretty rough to.
Mark
It's not the only error in the book either - I've seen 4.5kg equate to 4lbs, 7lbs, 10lbs & 11lbs & 14lbs just by looking through for 5 minutes! I'll just take the american quantities and go from there assuming that they just couldn't handle the complexities of the metric system.

My favourite was a book of recipes from of all places Canada (usually more enlightened). Had everything in both metric and silly non-system, except bitterness that was only given in HBU.
Mark

Back