Late Hopping Schedule - Best technique for maximizing flavor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you're welcome to your opinion, but i can't find one other post where anybody ever went nearly that ballistic on somebody.
here to learn. tick. here for critical advice, tick.
and i wound up with said advice from other members.
here to get belted by some neanderthal. nah.

Buddy, there was nothing about it that was nearly ballistic. I simply addressed multiple points in your post directly, pointing out the issues and flaws in each of them. We are all entitled to our own opinions and approaches - mine is that we shouldn't mollycoddle people, and shouldn't hesitate to point out flaws or problems in what they are saying.
Bullying would be picking on and attacking you personally, instead of legitimate criticism of the content that you posted. Read through my reply again, and you'll notice that none of it is personal attacks, it is all related to your content. Blocking someone for criticising what you say doesn't make you any more correct.

.i think my theory on high hopped crap by 'great pro brewers' stands. it's hardly rocket science. try and taste malt in most of them. you can't. if you can, then you are either dillusionary or you're telling tiddlies. that says dextrose and lots of it. it's not pro, and it ain't great. exceptions of course but not restricted to eg ~ endeavour (endeavour amber ale, drool drool), balter. (whatever happened to their brown ale?? that was serious good). if i'm 'insulting' the work of most of them, then so be it. they're selling beer-swill dosed up with hops and flogged off as something you 'craft'. they should feel ashamed, not insulted

Again, you are either just being absurdly insulting, or you are just not understanding beer styles. The really highly hopped styles that you are obviously talking about (NEIPA, hazy IPA and WC IPA) are supposed to be hopped to the hilt, and not really have outstanding malt character. That's the entire point of them. If you're looking for malt character, then buy beers that have those expected characteristics. Don't buy beers that aren't aiming for that and then complain that they don't have a characteristic that they shouldn't.

your abject attempts at australian english spelling (it's there, go and find it), your abrasive writing style, combined with your neoliberal veneration of anybody who you think is famous and 'pro' (usually attributed to PR and marketing, and quite american in its usage) tells me you're from the arse end of texas or somewhere. do you even know where bendigo is?? that's ok. I'm not sure which state texas is in either. for quote 'absurd and laughable', look no further than yeah, let's not go there.
maybe you got aussie and ozzie mixed up. try the sesame street site. i'm sure the kids there will think you're a tad droll. and you can bully THEM instead. they're probably shorter than you, they're certainly shorter than me.
now, i just need a mat so i can go and pay homage to you.
toss off, mate
Calm down, champ. I would encourage you to realise that my criticisms were regarding that content of your post, not you.
I also had a good laugh at your tangent to neoliberalism. Not really relevant.

however, you didn't even attempt to answer my question
eg beersmith shows no difference on beer bitterness after adding late hops, but doesn't look like it measures for aroma, either.
or is there a different aroma scale to think about, given that ibu and bitterness doesn't really count here
Well, I did answer the only question that you asked:
And no, there isn't really any measurable scale available to the homebrewer that quantifies aroma (that I am aware of)
It was actually hard to answer any question, considering that there was little punctuation to speak of, so it was difficult to discern what was a question and what was a statement.

let me see, 171 grainfather brews, along with biab, kit and whatever you do before that. yep. complete novice and i clearly don't have a f****g clue
You can have experience at some aspects and still be a novice. Just because a pilot is an expert at flying a cessna, that doesn't prevent them from being considered a novice when it comes to a 747. The same principle applies here.

You'll find that the amount of hops that you are talking about using will add bugger all to the beer, especially if you go the 'hop tea' route. Even more so because of the small amount of water that you're using - hop oils supposedly saturate beer (and so then I also assume water) at approx 8g/L. So if you're making a hop tea, then you'd have to use a bloody lot of water to get all of the oils that you're after out of the hops

Buddy, there was nothing about it that was nearly ballistic. I simply addressed multiple points in your post directly, pointing out the issues and flaws in each of them. We are all entitled to our own opinions and approaches - mine is that we shouldn't mollycoddle people, and shouldn't hesitate to point out flaws or problems in what they are saying.
Bullying would be picking on and attacking you personally, instead of legitimate criticism of the content that you posted. Read through my reply again, and you'll notice that none of it is personal attacks, it is all related to your content. Blocking someone for criticising what you say doesn't make you any more correct.

Again, you are either just being absurdly insulting, or you are just not understanding beer styles. The really highly hopped styles that you are obviously talking about (NEIPA, hazy IPA and WC IPA) are supposed to be hopped to the hilt, and not really have outstanding malt character. That's the entire point of them. If you're looking for malt character, then buy beers that have those expected characteristics. Don't buy beers that aren't aiming for that and then complain that they don't have a characteristic that they shouldn't.

Calm down, champ. I would encourage you to realise that my criticisms were regarding that content of your post, not you.
I also had a good laugh at your tangent to neoliberalism. Not really relevant.

Well, I did answer the only question that you asked:

It was actually hard to answer any question, considering that there was little punctuation to speak of, so it was difficult to discern what was a question and what was a statement.

You can have experience at some aspects and still be a novice. Just because a pilot is an expert at flying a cessna, that doesn't prevent them from being considered a novice when it comes to a 747. The same principle applies here.

You'll find that the amount of hops that you are talking about using will add bugger all to the beer, especially if you go the 'hop tea' route. Even more so because of the small amount of water that you're using - hop oils supposedly saturate beer (and so then I also assume water) at approx 8g/L. So if you're making a hop tea, then you'd have to use a bloody lot of water to get all of the oils that you're after out of the hops
i really don't think i need to re-explain what i said.
clearly diametrically opposed views on communication skills.
nuff said, i think.
enjoy your tipple
and i didn't block you
if i did, i wouldn't have been able to read your post
though if you want my opinion on hoppy beers, (even though you didn't ask), hornet gets a massive tick. i clearly should have mentioned that earlier, save confusion. most 'craft' brewers, like i said,,,,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back