Your Ultimate American-style Ipa Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received 1st place in IPA for this little mouth puckerer at VicBrew this year:

6kg Powells Ale Malt
200g JW Wheat
100g JW Dark Crystal
200g JW Medium Crystal
100g Dingeman Special B
200g Powells Munich

15g Simcoe (40 min)
30g Cascade (40 min)
30g Amarillo (40 min)
23g Simcoe (10 min)
23g Amarillo (10 min)
20g Centennial (10 min)
16g Simcoe (Flameout)
20g Amarillo (Flameout)
20g Simcoe (Dry hop)
20g Amarillo (Dry hop)

Mash at 65c for 1 hour
Ferment with US-05 at 18c

Made about 20litres. Almost came into IIPA territory at about 7.3%. Didn't do so well at AABC though, must've been a crappy bottle because this thing is delicious.

The 40 minute additions I reused from a hop tea I made for an American Pale that turned out revoltingly grassy.

looks good, would you mind posting the .bsm file?, or pm'ing it to me please?

What are the IBUs on that one, snooze?

I use qbrew for my recipes because I'm a cheapskate and I use Macs so no beersmith file, sorry.

I think it was about 70 IBU..???..give or take 5.

Note sure the recipe but here is a good bio of a true American IPA.

C-Note Imperial Pale Ale
To call C-Note very hoppy would be an understatement. It's brewed with the seven "C" hops (Crystal, Cluster, Cascade, Chinook, Centennial, Columbus and Challenger) and pushes the bitterness limit to 100 International Bitterness Units. 6.9% abv. 100 IBU

For a true American IPA you need to be at least 80 IBU's. Balanced with the malt and aroma hops.

This is my latest. It is a tweaked version of my IPA that came 1st in the NSW State comp this year. This version got 4th in the nationals

Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 26.00
Boil Time: 90 min

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4000.00 gm Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain 57.97 %
2000.00 gm Pale Malt (Weyermann) (6.5 EBC) Grain 28.99 %
450.00 gm Crystal Malt, Simpsons Pale (100.0 EBC) Grain 6.52 %
450.00 gm Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 6.52 %
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
20.00 gm Super Alpha [10.70 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
20.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.70 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
20.00 gm Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
15.00 gm Super Alpha [10.70 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 15.8 IBU
15.00 gm Super Alpha [10.70 %] (45 min) Hops 15.1 IBU
25.00 gm Amarillo Gold (cube) [8.60 %] (15 min) Hops 10.9 IBU
25.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) (cube) [13.70 %] (15 min) Hops 17.4 IBU
25.00 gm Pacifica (cube) [4.40 %] (15 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
25.00 gm Pacifica [4.40 %] (10 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
25.00 gm Pacifica [4.40 %] (5 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
15.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.70 %] (5 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
15.00 gm Pacifica [5.80 %] (0 min) Hops -
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
15.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.70 %] (0 min) Hops -
15.00 gm Cascade, NZ Organic [7.20 %] (0 min) Hops -
15.00 gm Super Alpha [10.70 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.064 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.66 %
Bitterness: 75.2 IBU
Est Color: 20.7 EBC

This was when i didnt have a gram scale. i used John palmers guides here as a guesstimate.

http://howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-4.html

Personally for this if and when i do it again, i'd just use my standard water modification for PA and IPA which is:

2g CaCl into mash
6g CaS04 into boil kettle.

you could add 1g of chalk to the mash if you want some alkalinity, but it aint really required with such a low SRM beer anyway.
Ok, you're pushing my limited knowledge here - so that's a good thing, but at this stage easy to do.

Help me understand what you're trying to achieve here. You're raising Ph in the mash (to do something - what pH are you after? I use melbourne water), then lowering it in the boil to 'lift the sulfate crispness of the hops' (what pH?). How are you measuring the water profile, or are you estimating based on the initial profile and what you add?

Ok, you're pushing my limited knowledge here - so that's a good thing, but at this stage easy to do.

Help me understand what you're trying to achieve here. You're raising Ph in the mash (to do something - what pH are you after? I use melbourne water), then lowering it in the boil to 'lift the sulfate crispness of the hops' (what pH?). How are you measuring the water profile, or are you estimating based on the initial profile and what you add?

Im adjusting the pH of the mash DOWN slightly by adding calcium but this is not my main objective. As my unmodified water is fine for beers in the 0-10SRM range, my aim for the mash water adjustment is not to drop the pH persay but to have atleast 50ppm of Ca in the mash for enzyme activity.

Then the addition i put into the kettle is to purely focus on achieving the approximate water profile i desire for the beer. In this case is hard sulfate rich water. The sulfate is the kicker for a smooth, crisp and drying hop profile perfect for an IPA.

Fourstar,

last night i kegged a batch of your AIPA (mid year case swap recipe) and intial tastes are fantastic, bucket loads of hop flavour and aroma leaping out of the glass and good firm bitterness backing it up. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Cheers SJ

Fourstar,

last night i kegged a batch of your AIPA (mid year case swap recipe) and intial tastes are fantastic, bucket loads of hop flavour and aroma leaping out of the glass and good firm bitterness backing it up. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Cheers SJ

Its a corker mate! Seriously, the aromas i was getting out of it when it was bottled was fantastic! Khe kind of beer where you finish the glass and sniff the bottle for the next few hours!

Just remember to rate it in the Recipe DB thread! ;)

I have this nearly ready right now, calculated at over 200 IBU but it tastes smooth.

ED: ended up differently dry hopping each fermenter, one 100g Amarillo & 25g Cascade, the other 100g Centennial & 25g Cascade for 5 or so days.

Looks bloody good overall!

I like your name too mate, Asher is my 2 year old sons name:)

best!!
Yandy

Received 1st place in IPA for this little mouth puckerer at VicBrew this year:

6kg Powells Ale Malt
200g JW Wheat
100g JW Dark Crystal
200g JW Medium Crystal
100g Dingeman Special B
200g Powells Munich

15g Simcoe (40 min)
30g Cascade (40 min)
30g Amarillo (40 min)
23g Simcoe (10 min)
23g Amarillo (10 min)
20g Centennial (10 min)
16g Simcoe (Flameout)
20g Amarillo (Flameout)
20g Simcoe (Dry hop)
20g Amarillo (Dry hop)

Mash at 65c for 1 hour
Ferment with US-05 at 18c

Made about 20litres. Almost came into IIPA territory at about 7.3%. Didn't do so well at AABC though, must've been a crappy bottle because this thing is delicious.

The 40 minute additions I reused from a hop tea I made for an American Pale that turned out revoltingly grassy.

hi mate, i brewed this last night and was just wondering about the dry hopping. when did you do it ? in the fermenter or in the keg??

Back