Your Ultimate American-style Ipa Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcp

poפ ɹǝǝq
Reaction score
Hi.

Just spent a little time in the states & (don't tell them but) some of their IPAs are just a revelation.

"On the tongue, English-style IPA feels much the same as a strong black tea that has been brewed too long: Your taste buds will feel like suede rubbed the wrong way. With an American-style IPA, you're likely to think tiny kittens have just skidded across your tongue, claws blazing, leaving your mouth scoured of all but the hint of hop." http://www.seattleweekly.com/2008-08-20/fo...ale-ale-vs-ipa/

I'll have what she's having. In fact that's exactly what i tasted. (I do love a woman who can frame beer in words like that. Actually... no i'd best leave it at that)

Well - i'm after a recipe for an American-style IPA that matches that description.

Any suggestions?
Brett

If you want a maximum Hop Assault, you can't go past Pliny the Elder... If you just want a seriously hoppy American IPA, back those hop additions off by a third each. If you want a really sessionable IPA, halve them... But one thing is for sure, that combo of hops is frickin' awesome.... :icon_drool2:

Google: Sister Star of the Sun.
Said to be a seppo award winning IPA.
I've brewed this one a couple of times, and its a ripper.

Try this one:

Stolen from Can You Brew It, West Coast Green Flash IPA clone

OG 1069
FG 1014
ABV 7.3%
SRM 8.8
90 min boil
Preboil gravity of 1054

Grains
6.35 kg 2 row Pale Malt
0.59 kg Crystal 40
0.59 kg Carapils

Hops - Kettle

28gm Simcoe @ 90mins

7gm Simcoe @ 60mins
7gm Columbus @ 60mins

7gm Simcoe @ 30mins
7gm Columbus @ 30mins

22gm Simcoe @ 15mins
22gm Columbus @ 15mins

22gm Cascade @ 10mins

14gm Simcoe @ 1mins
14gm Columbus @ 1mins

Dry Hops

14gm Amarillo
14gm Centennial
14gm Columbus
14gm Simcoe
14gm Cascade

Mash @ 67degC, mashout @ 76degC, Sparge @ 77degC

Yeast

1056 / WLP001 / US-05
Ferment @18deg and let it rise to 20 after a few days

Have fun with this one!!!!!

Cheers SJ

Besides a pliny, lagunitas, stone clone. I had a AIPA 6%, 60IBU, 6 SRM for the xmas in july case swap. Should have called it 6.6.6 ;)

Was very well recieved amongst the swappers. Heavy dank american hops on the nose, full bitterness, very well supported by the malt profile. Was a real stunner. To be honest i would rate it in the top 3 beers i have ever made. Absolutly supurb!

Its also in the top 10 for ratings in the recipeDB and 1st of the IPAs :icon_cheers:

I'll also list my beersmith output below as the recipe DB doesnt always throw up the correct figures/hard to read hop additions.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...&recipe=860

American IPA

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 33.38 L
Brewhouse Efficiency: 71.0

Ingredients
6.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 85.7 %
0.45 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (17.3 SRM) Grain 6.4 %
0.40 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 5.7 %
0.15 kg Crystal (Joe White) (34.2 SRM) Grain 2.1 %
20.00 gm Simcoe [13.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 27.1 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 11.5 IBU
20.00 gm Chinook [13.00%] (15 min) Hops 12.2 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo [8.20%] (15 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
10.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo [8.20%] (0 min) Hops -
10.00 gm Chinook [13.00%] (0 min) Hops -
10.00 gm Simcoe [13.00%] (0 min) Hops -
5.00 gm Amarillo [8.20%] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
5.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
20.00 gm Simcoe [13.00%] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
0.50 tsp Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Chalk (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
2.50 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.062 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.2 %
Bitterness: 59.5
Est Color: 6.6 SRM

Mash Profile
Mash In Add 18.20 L of water at 70.1 C 64.0 C 90 min
Mash Out Add 15.11 L of water at 94.9 C 77.0 C 10 min

Notes
pitch dry hops at 1.024 SG for 4-5 days
Water Profile @ 23 L. (post boil figures) Ca 120ppm, Mg 13ppm, Na 3ppm, SO4 250ppm, Cl 7ppm, HCO3 60ppm

My mouth is watering reading this thread, and it's only 10 in the morning

Damn that looks tasty 4*! I've really gotta start hoarding hops and knocking out a few of these!

Cheers SJ

Nah give me 30g of POR single addition for 90 mins :icon_cheers:

Damn that looks tasty 4*! I've really gotta start hoarding hops and knocking out a few of these!

Cheers SJ

Yeah tis great, the small 5g additoons where just finish off the packets. Awesome beer. i want todo one with Centennial, cascade and simcoe, bittered with magnum :icon_drool2:

Nah give me 30g of POR single addition for 90 mins :icon_cheers:

Keg just blew dry on this one BribieG... Aweeeesommmeee summer quaffer! Superpride = :icon_chickcheers:

aussieale.JPG

Aussie Pale 'Clean' Ale
Australian Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 27/09/2009
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 80.0 %
0.50 kg Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
0.50 kg Munich, Light (Joe White) (8.9 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
20.00 gm Super pride [15.10%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 38.4 IBU
30.00 gm Super pride [15.10%] (0 min) Hops -
2.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
6.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.5 %
Bitterness: 38.4 IBU
Est Color: 4.2 SRM

Mash Profile
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 14.00 L of water at 69.7 C 64.0 C 60 min
Mash Out Add 10.00 L of water at 97.7 C 77.0 C 10 min

Notes
CaCl into mash.
CaSO4 into boil.

If you want a maximum Hop Assault, you can't go past Pliny the Elder... If you just want a seriously hoppy American IPA, back those hop additions off by a third each. If you want a really sessionable IPA, halve them... But one thing is for sure, that combo of hops is frickin' awesome.... :icon_drool2:
ive got 60L of pliny elder in a fermentor atm. going into a keg tonight. :icon_drool2: wish i had of thought about divvying it and making a black batch of Pliny. call it Pliny the Aboriginal Elder

Whats a tsp, 5gm?

This was when i didnt have a gram scale. i used John palmers guides here as a guesstimate.

http://howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-4.html

Personally for this if and when i do it again, i'd just use my standard water modification for PA and IPA which is:

2g CaCl into mash
6g CaS04 into boil kettle.

you could add 1g of chalk to the mash if you want some alkalinity, but it aint really required with such a low SRM beer anyway.

Whats a tsp, 5gm?

There is no hard and fast conversion because you are converting from volume to mass. Hence the actual answer is dependant on the substance in question. I believe a tsp of sugar eqauates to 4.4gms, so if you use that as a reference, assuming that the substances have similar physical properties to sugar (grain size), you could work it out from here. Or grab a tsp measurement from the kitchen.

Cheers SJ

ive got 60L of pliny elder in a fermentor atm. going into a keg tonight. :icon_drool2: wish i had of thought about divvying it and making a black batch of Pliny. call it Pliny the Aboriginal Elder

Following my Black IPA adventures are we?!? :p

Should be able to pitch my starter onto it tonight! Wish me luck!

All good. I work off JP's RA spreadsheet & was just getting a handle on fourstars additions... 12.5g of gypsum & 5g of chalk seemed about twice as much as I am used to using.

http://howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-4.html is a good reference & looks like the additions arent as high as I guessed....

Here's My CC09 AIPA label.
IBU's a little low for that authentic cat skid effect.
More like sticking your tongue in a mini black hop hole :- You know you shouldn't, but your male, so you do anyway.... Only to find it dimensionally shift momentarily to become hop, before sucking the rest of you in behind it until there is no more.

AIPA_hopping.jpg

You can work it back to your desired brew size ;)
Asher

Following my Black IPA adventures are we?!? :p

Should be able to pitch my starter onto it tonight! Wish me luck!
does it really suprise you? I love dark beers and probably 70% of my beers are dark (until recently).

good luck with the fermenting. definitely need a try once done.

does it really suprise you? I love dark beers and probably 70% of my beers are dark (until recently).
good luck with the fermenting. definitely need a try once done.

Ha! Not really! Unfortunatly you will need to break your vows as i will only allow you to drink it as fresh as a daisy! (what a shame :))

Here's My CC09 AIPA label.
IBU's a little low for that authentic cat skid effect.
More like sticking your tongue in a mini black hop hole :- You know you shouldn't, but your male, so you do anyway.... Only to find it dimensionally shift momentarily to become hop, before sucking the rest of you in behind it until there is no more.

View attachment 33436

You can work it back to your desired brew size ;)
Asher
Lovely work with the label and with the by-bottle breakdown of hops!

Back