Your Top Five Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In no particular order:

Punk IPA
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Pilsner Urquell
Trumer Pils
James Squire Pilsner

Honourable mentions:

Alpha Pale Ale
BrewDog 77 Lager
LCPA
LCBA
Coopers Pale

Leffe Brun or Radieuse (I'd need to taste them side by side, and start out sober)
Mountain Goat Hightail
Young's Double Choc Stout
Knappstein Reserve Lager
Fuller's ESB

Being a student, it is rather hard to acquire these beers on a regular basis :(

This is like one of those '5 best songs of all time' lists, absolutely impossible and in need of some serious criteria.......

Best five beers, based on context (in no particular order)

Melbourne Bitter - Bottom of the esky, 18yo, party at a village hall east of Wagga, 'Wow, this is what binge drinking is all about'
Tooheys Old - Norton's on Nortons, Leichardt, Sydney NSW. I met my wife that night, she could drink better than I could
Stella Artois - A round of 4 pints in a small pub two blocks from Leicester Square, London 1999. 12 quid, faaaark thats $36AU for four beers!
Theakstons Old Peculier - Reading, UK 2004. On tap at my local pub, warm glass of fruity ale. WTF???? But the winds of change.......
Little Creatures Pale Ale - Ummm, what are hops? Ummm, why does this beer taste so good? Ummm, can I make this at home???????

The rest is history baby!

Oh and in the spirit of previous posts, my CURRENT Top 5 (beers I have EVER drank in no particular order)

LCPA - There are better APA's out there but that fact you can buy it in my home town bottlo which used to only deal in megaswill lager says alot
Tooheys Old - The goto when its wall to wall megaswill
Anything Coopers - They flew the flag long before LC was even a sparkle in the eye (in particular Best Extra)
Duvel - Mass produced lushness
Tegernseer Helles - Picture a lake, in the Alps, in Bavaria, run by people who care for nothing but beer and various forms of roasted pork!

That'll do me!

AG Home Brew (FRESH)

Heiniken (IMPORTED)
Boags draught
Coopers sparkling ale
Becks (IMPORTED)
Fosters lager

Fresh is best IMHO.
:chug:

McLovin - you can stomach Boags draught? Mad respect to you!

My fave 5. (in no particular order)
Tripels.
Dubels.
Ales.
Porters.
Others.
:)

Heaps good beers

Imperial red rocket, or something, on at the tap house melb in march

Holgates ESB

Bruges, 2 in Belgium and $20 at essendon cellars

Lowenbrau, straight from the cask

BoPils? hmmm... Buckleys nuptials or Mtilda Bay on tap

ps choosing five is ridiculous

Heaps good beers

Imperial red rocket, or something, on at the tap house melb in march

Holgates ESB

Bruges, 2 in Belgium and $20 at essendon cellars

Lowenbrau, straight from the cask

BoPils? hmmm... Buckleys nuptials or Mtilda Bay on tap

ps choosing five is ridiculous

Agree, choosing just 5 is ridiculous. It changes for me based on season, mood, what i've come acros recently. Based on what i've had recently and the rough ranking i have in my 'bottle collection' (good on left, less good on right).

Murrrays Nirvana Pale Ale (great hop flavour, just love it fresh draught)
LCPA (was better when they still used chinook)
Barons Black Whattle Original Ale
James Squire Pilsner (not so sure it is still as good as i remember it used to be though...)(\
Knapstein Reserve Lager (best lager by far...only one i put up there with a good ale imo)

Honourable mentions:

James Squire IPA
James Squire Amber
Coopers Pale Ale
Tooheys old (much better than usual mega swill when you have no options)
Schofferhoffer Krystalweizen (pretty easy to find example of a good wheat bee i think)
LC Rogers
and i coudl go on and on and on LOL....

This is like one of those '5 best songs of all time' lists, absolutely impossible and in need of some serious criteria.......

Best five beers, based on context (in no particular order)

Melbourne Bitter - Bottom of the esky, 18yo, party at a village hall east of Wagga, 'Wow, this is what binge drinking is all about'
Tooheys Old - Norton's on Nortons, Leichardt, Sydney NSW. I met my wife that night, she could drink better than I could
Stella Artois - A round of 4 pints in a small pub two blocks from Leicester Square, London 1999. 12 quid, faaaark thats $36AU for four beers!
Theakstons Old Peculier - Reading, UK 2004. On tap at my local pub, warm glass of fruity ale. WTF???? But the winds of change.......
Little Creatures Pale Ale - Ummm, what are hops? Ummm, why does this beer taste so good? Ummm, can I make this at home???????

The rest is history baby

i prefer your context mate well done,
mine are strangly similar :huh:

xxxx bitter - papa's house up on bribie, sneaking a sip off dad while mum wernt watching, i thought i was the chite .
stella - moved to sydney 2004(fark wheres the 4x) big night long story , complete stranger buys me a stella after hearing me rant about how good 4x is ! wow taste buds learnt a valuable lesson. beer budget goes threw the roof !
Theakstons Old Peculier -2005 The White Swan, wednesday night, a local introduces me to the mighty ale, he was suposed to be droping in for one befor badmington, yup we were the last to leave the pub . fresh guest keg, pint bought by friend, doesnt get much better :icon_drool2: some times i shed a tear for just to have that moment again .
Guinnessx2 - 2007 1st time in Dublin. mid winter. freakn cold.visiting old mate in the oldest pub in town for my first local pint off tap , yup little tear again but mainly cause was so windswept! then after brewery tour and the included pint ! wow what a view ! (mid winter but clrearest blue sky i have seen, should of been grey damp and fkt)
1st brew -2008 tooheys draught ! (big w $75 special) , did i do that ? fck yeah i did it ! some how I turned water into beer just like the big boys ! .......picked up my board and jumped on that slipery slope arghhhhhhhhhh

I know i picked my top 5 most memorable beers,
but for me the beer makes the moment and the moment makes the beer and the moments are but few so to only make them even more the better is the challenge both ways ;) .

so anyway

1. old peculier
2.gulden draak
3.pacific ale
4.hopus
5.Bud Super Strong (Dark Red Label): This beer is marketed as the super-premium member of the Budvar family. Contains 7.6% alcohol by volume. 'snip' i cant spell it ? I tried this goddess for first time last week and for me she leaves all other lager/pils in her wake.

>5 germany oops samey samey, but mostly quality i have to admit

& any beer in hand has a shot at the title :beerbang:

My top5 no order only criteria they must be fresh get very disappointed when they are stale.

Fullers ESB
Wychwood Hobgoblin
Coopers Best Extra Stout
Murray's Spartacus
Guinness

My top 5 would be

Lobethal Bierhaus Double Hopped IPA
Lagunitas Maximus
Fullers ESB
Stone IPA
Anderson Valley Boont Amber

top 5:

white rabbit dark
LC rogers
kooinda pale ale
black & tan at the pub
lord nelson 3 sheets

Which child do you like best? Haha, I've got more than 5 definite favourites, and there's so many beers I'm still to try, so it could definitely change (and probably will).
As of today, If I could ask for 5 they would be:
1. Brewdog Punk IPA can.
2. Fullers London Pride
3. Alaskan Smoked Porter
4. Stone Ruination IPA
5. Mountain Goat / Thornbridge Collaboration Black IPA.

The all time top 5 would be difficult to pick so I have gone with a current top 5:

1. Epic Hop Zombie DIPA - well balanced DIPA and very drinkable
2. Kooinda APA - this is my favourite Aussie APA
3. Holgate Temptress chocolate porter - my go to dark beer
4. North Coast Old Rasputin russian imperial stout - have only sampled this style of beer recently, very impressive
5. Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - tasty and great value AIPA

Honourable mention Hargraves Hill Phoenix imperial red ale, fantastic drop on tap, but I can't justify $49 a bottle, however my mate can...so I do the right thing and help him drink it...lol.

I like beers I can have a few of...

Hoegaarden
Budvar
Guinness
Murrays Sassy Blonde
James Squire Highwayman

All this will change once I hit Europe later in the year.

It's amazing how things change when you travel. These five are some of the most memorable I've had in the last few years for various reasons.

Pilsner Urquell - in the cellar at the brewery
Hofbrau Oktoberfest - opening day 2009
Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock
Russian River Temptation
Rogue Dry Hopped St Rogue Red Ale

wil's pil's (bootleg brewery)
emersons 1812 ipa (new zuland)
moo brew pilsner (tassie
kentish ale (7 sheds tassie)
lcpa (little creatures wa)

mmmmm just thinking about the topic gets me dreaming .....cheers.......spog.........

In no particular order

Cascade First Harvest (2009 - liquid smooth hops - they've yet to beat it or come close but still one of my all time favourites)
Fat Yak Pale Ale - great all round session beer
Timothy Taylor Landlord extra strong pale ale - has the fullers overtones without them dominating
Coopers sparkling ale (favourite mid week go to when the homebrews are conditioning)
Samuel Smith oatmeal stout
(
Damn that's 5 already?!!!)

Honourable mention ; O)

Punk IPA - not because I could session drink it or even regularly pick one up, but because it opened my eyes and tastebuds (well, nuked the tastebuds actually) and then once the assault was over, a cracker of a flavour remained.

In Order:

5. Epic Pale Ale
4. Boon Kriek
3. Schlenkerla Rauch Marzen
2. Mountain Goat Thornbridge Rarebreed Black IPA
1. Avec les bons Vux de la brasserie Dupont

Top 5 is hard because i have my favourite session beers and then others.. ill try a mix of both in no particular order.

1. Coopers Sparkling Ale

2. Old Speckled Hen

3. Burleigh Brewing Co.'s 70's style pale ale (fell in love with this at sirromet winery last xmas day)

4. Knappstein Reserve Lager

5. Little Creatures Original Pilsner

Wicked Elf Pale Ale and Paulaner's Hefe-weizen get honourable mentions

There's so many others i could probably have a new top 5 once a month

Im off to Europe at the end of the year (Munich and Prague are the most anticipated) so will no doubt come back with more favourites

my 5 no particular order

CPA
LCBA
XXXX Draught (rip)
Mountian Goat Steam Ale
Sunny Coast Brewery Rye ESB

Back