Your Fav Wine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.DJ.

Reaction score
what types/brands/makes of wine do you like to drink when you aren't drinking your home brew?

I'm a fan of:

Brokenwood Cricket Pitch (CabSav/Merlot)
Fifth Leg Red (CabSav/Shiraz/Merlot)

Fifth Leg Sem SavBlanc is nice also...

Definately a red fan - but I will go a nice un-oaked white in warmer weather.

favorite variety would be durif and my current favorite would be a 2005 stanton & killeen durif - though I've only got about 4 bottles left!

i like to drink Chteau Lafite Rothschild. the 1999 was a particularly good year. ok kidding i dont have the $ to spend $900 per bottle of wine.

I drink both red and white. couldnt narrow down a fav as I currently about about 40 cases of both. mainly reds. both local and imported. i started collecting/buying when i was 18. inherited some as well. each style has its own good points and situations in which they are more approporiate than the other styles.

I have everything from $10 a bottle - $200. i have more expensive rare bottles but not in any quantity. Rutherglen is probably my favourite vic region and certainly in the top 3 in australia.

now we just wait for kirem and the other wine makers to chime in.

Green.

I am not at all joking when I say that Stones Green Ginger Wine is my favourite wine.

Of course, I should probably declare that I can't stand red at all. Or most whites.

I love a good English-style barleywine... :p

Bit of everything for me.

Like my whites dry and a bit on the fruity side, particularly verdelho, semillon and pinot gris. Very much into my big luciously oaky Chardonnays too. Kind of over Sav. Blanc, but it's SOO popular these days!

Reds, almost anything well made will do. Hard to go past the Aussie favs like a Hunter Shiraz or a big old Cab. Sav. from South Australia...Barossa, Coonawarra, Maclaren Vale...the list goes on.
Even though the movie Sideways totally bagged them, i've been a bit of a fan of Merlot as of late. I reckon alot of smaller wineries have really lifted their game and made some particularly tasty and approachable Merlot wines. And then there's one of my new favourite grapes... Chambourcin! :icon_drool2:

And, like any good gentlemen, I love a port. Older and expensiver the betterer! :p

Rutherglen Durif......YUM!

And Rufus Stone Heathcote Shiraz is another fav.

LOL goon!
We used to call it "death bag" and we used to split the "death bag" and play "wear the bag" which basically involved drowing yourself (or your peers) in the "goonie" by holding the bag over your mouth and nose so you couldnt do anything but drink the "goon" through your mouth and nose (and eyes). Gotta love adolecent binge drinking.

There was also "pressure pack" which involved inflating the partially consumed bag then having someone hold the tap open in your mouth whist somoene else squized the bag forcing the goon into ya gob

Goon of Fortune?

1. Tie a goonbag to a Hills Hoist.
2. Put people in a circle around Hills Hoist.
3. Spin Hills Hoist
4. If the goonbag ends up in front of you, you take a squirt.
5. Go back to Step 3.

cheatux cardbox or cheatux death is what we always called it. the fuitylexia was good to double as juice in the morning.

I knew this thread woudl turn to shite

We should have a thread of whats in the glass: Wine

Not able to afford to regularly drink the quality I'd like and I do prefer beer these days on account of less reaction to anything inside it.

However the lower end Penfolds and some Brown Brothers wines are particularly good value for money.

I tend to enjoy merlot and varietals, Cabernets and varietals and the occasional shiraz. My wine knowledge is not extensive but it may also depend on what I'm eating as to which I prefer (eg - not a pinot noir fan generally but a good pinot with duck is sensational and while I'm not much of a white drinker a traminer with spicy asian food can work a treat.

I also aim to try my hand at making some of my own.

Also partial to good port and muscat but once again I can rarely afford.

i cant stand white wine att all. my favourite red would be bullers calliope shiraz. bloody awesome.

Hot up this way so whites are the go for now.

A cheap but real tasty chardonnay you can find at 1st Choice is Grant Burge Cellar Cut. Around $7 - 8 a bottle but great stuff.

I like both kinds, country and western!

Back