Yorkshire Tykes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Completely :icon_offtopic: , but I lived in York for a year back in 07/08 and all this talk of Black Sheep and Landlords is making me thirsty! And giving me the impetus for getting one on the go myself...

Any idea how one would go about emulating Landlords using kit & bits...?
How much bits? Just completely a kit and enhancers? If so, you might struggle to get close with the right kit base, haven't seen the range in a while so no real idea, you want an english pale ale but from memory you could mostly get bitters or esbs. These will mostly be darker than you want.
Even so, find a kit, give it a good dose of Styrian Goldings for flavour and aroma and ferment with WY1469, or equivalent other yeast, or WY1187 or equivalent other yeast, and you'd be in the area at least.

Extract wise I think you could have a great stab by finding one of the common AG recipes out there, which are usually something like base malt and crystal only, often cara-aroma, and just steeping the grains, using a plain light malt extract for the base, and following the same hopping schedule. You could also caramelise some of the wort as some do. Same yeast choice again...

I'd prolly start with something like Muntons Yorkshire Bitter Fodder with 1469, haven't brewed that kit for ages so memory is very foggy as to what it was like, but if it needs it you could throw some spec grain in there from the Landlord recipes on here

With all due respect Scotty, if you are trying to brew a Yorkshire type bitter Burtonising the water is not the way to do it.
As Butters has said over and over Yorkshire breweries don't use Burton on Trent water.
Lately on the BrewAdelaide Forum

Nige

The records I have show a common approach to water salts, cant remember PPM's but both sulphate and chlorides were used. The brewery was also national, hence anything would have been to within a spec across the brand. Seems more argument was had over the use or not of sparklers than water salts ...

Scotty

i have no idea about yorkshire water chemistry...

but i have always thought black sheep ale is one of the saltiest/most burtonised tasting UK pale ales around.

Back