Yet Another Smoker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony M

Reaction score
I finally got around to converting my old fridge to an oven. This thing is about 70 years old so has an interior of baked enamel which can stand oven temperatures once I ripped out the rubber gasket and masonite door liner and replaced them with fibreglass and aluminium. I cut some 3" holes in the floor and lined them with copper so the asbestos insulation didn't cover the food, then fitted a couple of barbecue burners scrounged from a verge pickup. I have found that two burners are unnecessary and the one I use is turned so low I had to putty up half the jets so the wind wouldn't blow out the gas. The woodchip tray is a bit of stainless with the edges bent up for stiffness, covered by another inverted on top and with a few holed drilled thru for the smoke. This keeps the wood smothered so it doesn't flame. I fitted some meat hooks in the ceiling and some tip shop metal racks and it all worked like a charm.

Smoker_010.jpg
Smoker_009.jpg
Smoker_011.jpg

Excellent work there Tony, I'll be keeping my eye out for an old fridge now!

cheers

Browndog

Back