And Yet Another Diy Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger mellie

Defender of the WW - Scars to prove it.
Reaction score
Yeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaa - thats it - the brewery is complete for the moment - the latest addition being the grain mill - a few pictures attached if anyone is interested.

The gap is variable - the non drive roller has slotted holes. I initially set the gap to 0.85 mm - I think the fact that the knurl on the rollers is quite heavy busts up the grain as it goes through - so the best results have been with the gap at 1.1 mm.

The SS rollers were sourced from a mate who pulled them out of a scrap bin at his work. Another mate who owns a lathe spun them up for me and made the bearing housings.

The hopper is an old water cooler bottle found on a verge collection. I decided to mount in the bench - when not in use I cover it up and the scales sit there.

The total cost $20 for 4 bearings and coupe of bottles of whisky supplied to 2 mates who sourced the SS rollers and spun them up on their lathes - did a bit of welding also.

Havent used it in anger as yet - that will be tomorrow - will be interested to see what the new efficiency is.

RM

Mill_1.jpg,Mill_2.jpg
Mill_3.jpg,Mill_4.jpg
Mill_5.jpg

What else do we have kids for but to wind the handle! I can attach a battery drill but im into slave labour.

Mill_6.jpg
mill_7.jpg
Mill_8.jpg

Oh yeah that looks nice :beerbang: what are the roller dimensions?

Nice, real nice :super:

Well done Roger....

i was into child slave labor but they tire after a bit and start to complain when your cracking 12 kg of grain.

Then i got an electric moter :)

your not a real brewer unless youve got a.....................

looks great mate..... i recon it will see you through your brewing days, and the next generation to come :)

cheers

Oh yeah that looks nice :beerbang: what are the roller dimensions?

About 2 1/4" - the whole thing weighs about 15KG - thats why i mounted it in the bench

RM

i was into child slave labor but they tire after a bit and start to complain when your cracking 12 kg of grain.

Then i got an electric moter :)

your not a real brewer unless youve got a.....................

looks great mate..... i recon it will see you through your brewing days, and the next generation to come :)

cheers

Cheers to you to Tony - much inspiration was taken from your posts - with a bit of fine tuning I reckon you are right.

BTW - I'm on the scrounge for a window wiper motor - adding a motor is a doddle - dont see any harm with a bit of humiliation for the meantime!

RM

Jeepers - can this be right?!?

First use of the mill is encouraging - beersmith estimated a BG of 35L @ 1.034 @ 68% efficiency (which is the best i ever managed before - usally closer to 65)

I got 35L @ 1.046 which beersmith reckons is 88%. So my estimated OG of 1.056 has now gone to 1.073.

Still in style (just) but the est ABV is now 7.3

If that doesnt double as a leg opener - dont know what will. B) - (edit - I should add that this Summer IPA is my wifes favorite)

RM

Roger the same thing happened when I finished my mill, jumped from 70% to 85%-90% but it has settled down to 80% which is great.

You might want to add some water and get back to your planned gravity... unless your doing an APA, in that case add some more hops and make an IPA :D

Hi Roger

Nice work on the mill and efficiency. I seem to recall you already have a few kids, so dilution might be the go.

I wan't to see it PJ but your images aren't loading completely for me. Is it the same for everyone else too ?
Cheers
Doug

I wan't to see it PJ but your images aren't loading completely for me. Is it the same for everyone else too ?
Cheers
Doug

Yeah, I was at work and too lazy at the same time to mention it...all I see is a thin strip at the top of each image :huh:

PZ.

Sorry fellas...
First piccy Post....I might have to make it smaller....
BUT Anyway it is a pic of Grannys Old Clothes Wringer....
With a hopper attached..and grain collection box...
Granny did not know what it was for..so i showed her....
She got one of those new fandangled TWIN TUBS now...
PJ

mmm,seems grannie aint showing her wringer to anyone :D

Guess i will have to try again......
I have one pic coming up....
Any one get that.?????????
PJ

?????????????????

Back