yet another fridge fermentation chamber question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slomartin

Reaction score
hi,

i'm setting up a standard fridge with cooler and heater elements controlled by an stc controller thing. i've read more fridge and stc controller threads than i'd care to mention, yet never came across the following: every time in my life i've come across an unplugged fridge with the door closed, letting the inside space warm up, the fridge stank to high heaven. given that one of the reasons for setting up the fridge was to have a controlled warm-ish space for ale fermentations (my brewing space sucks when it comes to having a constant temperature at any level really), how does one avoid the musty stink in the closed fermentation fridge? or does it not happen or?

thanks and apologies for yet another fridge/stc post

I know exactly what you mean about closed fridges stinking when they've been turned off. Strangely though, it doesn't seem to be an issue for my fermenting fridge (I also use and STC-1000 and a heat cord). I do leave it open if there's no beer in it though, so maybe a bit of an air out for a day once every few weeks is enough.

On a slightly different note, I once put bottles in the fermenting fridge to carb up after bottling a batch that had been cold crashed. The bottles were obviously frosty cold and condensation formed on them. That moisture combined with the nice warm environment proved to be a mould's dream. I had to give the fridge a mighty good clean after that.

After each brew I give my fridge a good wipe down and starsan. I have little to no sense of smell so don't know if it actually makes any difference, but it makes me feel better. :)

A frost free fridge will probably help, but yeah, I keep mine clean and have never noticed an issue. Vanilla spray ftw.

I reckon the CO2 being spat out by the beer would help inhibit growth and smells.

HBHB said:
If there's manky smells, there's bacteria or fungus. Cleanliness is all important. Starsan type products are your best friend.
That's a good point. I forgot to say that I always spray down the inside of the fidge with sanitiser before I put a new batch in. That probably helps a lot.

Apart from regular cleaning, an open container of bicarb soda is supposed to absorb/neutralise odours.

thanks everybody. fridge has been bodged up, cleaned out with chemipro oxi (insert the usual "starsan" and similar are hard to find in central europe argument here) and wiped down with a bit of ethanol, and is currently fermenting a simple stout. thanks for the help.

Spiesy said:
A frost free fridge will probably help, but yeah, I keep mine clean and have never noticed an issue. Vanilla spray ftw.
^

He does does keep one clean fridge... and house... and brewery...

:ph34r: OCD.

Latest posts

Back