Yet Another 12v Pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made an enquiry regard the keg king looking pump, see below

The price is USD53/pc FOB Xiamen for MP-20RM.
The shipping cost is USD48 for 1 pc .USD65 for 2 pcs..USD125 for 5pcs, from Xiamen to Australia via Fedex
USD145 for 10pcs via DHL.

looks like you need to buy ten pumps, a bulk by if you will, a pump landed for around $70, any interest in the risk?
Yes. :)
IWaki did not reply to my email, so I might have to call them.

Im not convinced, just coz a supplier says "she'll be right" is different than a manufacturer stating food grade..

The plastic might well be fine but i dont think they pump blood at 100'c do they?

Automotive pumps? When was the last time you drank from the radiator?

Im not trying to be deliberately objectionable moreover cautious.. Id like to get the manufacturers opinion on food grade before i forked out for one... Just as i did with the brown pumps..

Exactly ....... it needs to be food grade at the max rated operating temperature.

You don't want the "manufacturers opinion" - you need an independant certification. I will say it again - remember the Chinese hops.

I can't understand why you guys are stuffing around with these pumps when you have the March pumps at the high end and brown pumps as a cheap/disposable item. These are well proven in high temperature, food grade applications and available from a variety of suppliers (both in Australia and via ebay).

What more do you want ?

If you want a 'set and forget' option - just go with the March. If you ar ehappy to ensure that your wort is well filtered (to remove any solids) then the Brown pump will give good service (but buy a few spares to just be sure)

Dave

I can't understand why you guys are stuffing around with these pumps when you have the March pumps at the high end and brown pumps as a cheap/disposable item.

Its the lack of a middle ground. Not everyone wants to thrown down the cash for a March pump, but needs something better than a brown pump.

And if you search through the old threads about pumps, people were saying the same thing about the brown pumps. So while it could go the way of the chinese hops, it could also be the next brown pump or STC-1000.

It also seems good enough for one of the sponsors to stock.

As a child of the 40's who chewed his lead soldiers, lived in a perpetual cloud of organo-phosphates and organo-chlorides to keep the fleas, mozzies and flies at bay,used asbestos for everything, spent many years machining particle board (phenolics -> cancer), thirty years on a chopper gun in a fibreglass factory (too many chemicals to list) and was smoking a packet of champion ruby a week by the time he was fourteen, I am somewhat bemused by people's obsession with the vague possibility of a few micrograms of something that may or may not be a bit off, being flushed out of a pump, especially in this 21st. century chemical world.
I can understand the retailers beating this drum, because when some enterprising brewer goes out and bulk buys a good deal, it affects the retailer's bottom line which we know is being undermined by the explosion in on-line shopping.
Just remember one thing folks, everybody's brewery has one deadly poison in it. It is called alcohol and although none of you will admit it, it will kill more of you than the PVC you ingest from filling up your rig with the garden hose.
I've had my spray and shall now slink off and don my flack jacket and heavy weather gear. Cheers.

As a child of the 40's who chewed his lead soldiers, lived in a perpetual cloud of organo-phosphates and organo-chlorides to keep the fleas, mozzies and flies at bay,used asbestos for everything, spent many years machining particle board (phenolics -> cancer), thirty years on a chopper gun in a fibreglass factory (too many chemicals to list) and was smoking a packet of champion ruby a week by the time he was fourteen, I am somewhat bemused by people's obsession with the vague possibility of a few micrograms of something that may or may not be a bit off, being flushed out of a pump, especially in this 21st. century chemical world.
I can understand the retailers beating this drum, because when some enterprising brewer goes out and bulk buys a good deal, it affects the retailer's bottom line which we know is being undermined by the explosion in on-line shopping.
Just remember one thing folks, everybody's brewery has one deadly poison in it. It is called alcohol and although none of you will admit it, it will kill more of you than the PVC you ingest from filling up your rig with the garden hose.
I've had my spray and shall now slink off and don my flack jacket and heavy weather gear. Cheers.

Sometimes I just wished there was a 'Thumbs-up' like button on the forum!

:D

There are a few nannies and scare mongers amongst this site.
I wonder how many of the brewers who are worried about the pump being food safe are smokers.
I know at least one of them is. One of the worst things you could do to your health.
I'd be more worried about off flavours at high temperatures. Don't know if thats possible or not.
I use a March pump, never had a problem or a worry with it.

Exactly ....... it needs to be food grade at the max rated operating temperature.

You don't want the "manufacturers opinion" - you need an independant certification. I will say it again - remember the Chinese hops.

I can't understand why you guys are stuffing around with these pumps when you have the March pumps at the high end and brown pumps as a cheap/disposable item. These are well proven in high temperature, food grade applications and available from a variety of suppliers (both in Australia and via ebay).

What more do you want ?

If you want a 'set and forget' option - just go with the March. If you ar ehappy to ensure that your wort is well filtered (to remove any solids) then the Brown pump will give good service (but buy a few spares to just be sure)
If we're going to get that pedantic, I'm not sure I've ever seen any 'certification' (other various supplier/seller statements) to confirm that little-brown-solar-pumps are rated as 'food grade' at the temperatures used for making beer.

As for why consider something else ... little-brown-solar pumps are cheap but nasty and have a low flow rate, March pumps on the other hand are quite expensive. Some of the pumps linked above are less than half the price of March pump but the specifications supplied show they should perform the same. In addition the pumps (at least what appears to be be the same item) are sold by various home-brew shops in Australia and the pumps have been used by members of these forums with favorable reviews.

The Xiamen Youme site states that they are Food Grade. Craft Brewer lookalike also claimed to be food grade. I am willing to join a bulk buy but there appear to be a number of models with differing head/flow characteristics. 240V/ 50Hz also is more appealing to me than 12V. Can we get different models within 1 order of 10 pumps.

The Xiamen Youme site states that they are Food Grade. Craft Brewer lookalike also claimed to be food grade. I am willing to join a bulk buy but there appear to be a number of models with differing head/flow characteristics. 240V/ 50Hz also is more appealing to me than 12V. Can we get different models within 1 order of 10 pumps.

Can't see that would be an issue, there was no discount on the pump, just the postage.

Can't see that would be an issue, there was no discount on the pump, just the postage.

I'd double check with them first. If they are a factory that produces them to order, you might find that they have a minimum order due to equipment setup which may be different for the different model pumps.

If you can do different pumps though, it might be good to see if they can provide some prices for a few different models

(btw, i'm sitting on the fence atm between grabbing one of these, or just settling with a brown pumps for my new setup, so some more options might tip the balance ;) )

Hi Guys,

Been chatting to Wolfy via PM and he is keen to get this BB off the ground, I'm going to get one from this buy too.

Anyone want to buy my 24v brown pumps?

Cheers

BDB

There are a few nannies and scare mongers amongst this site.
I wonder how many of the brewers who are worried about the pump being food safe are smokers.
I know at least one of them is. One of the worst things you could do to your health.
I'd be more worried about off flavours at high temperatures. Don't know if thats possible or not.
I use a March pump, never had a problem or a worry with it.

:icon_offtopic:
I was at a barby last Saturday night and several people were standing around a fire bucket outside. I was given a jelly and I threw the plastic spoon in the fire, this lady went off about the poison fumes I had created. Yes guessed it she was smoking at the time. :blink:

:icon_offtopic:
I was at a barby last Saturday night and several people were standing around a fire bucket outside. I was given a jelly and I threw the plastic spoon in the fire, this lady went off about the poison fumes I had created. Yes guessed it she was smoking at the time. :blink:

Put me down for one of these if the BB goes ahead.

I'm waiting on the technical data sheets for the pump housing material and confirmation of a few other things (including making an order of different pump models and payment methods) - if all goes well I'll post in the Bulk Buy forum when things are ready (I've already asked Dane's permission to run the buy).

But the pumps in question are 240V models, so we've side-tracked this thread quite a bit. ;)

I'm waiting on the technical data sheets for the pump housing material

Not that technical but this image with some info was sent to me, sorry mate not sure if I have already posted it.

New_Image.JPG

Not that technical but this image with some info was sent to me, sorry mate not sure if I have already posted it.
Yep, the same info is on their website.
I was trying to get some additional details about the "glass fiber reinforced polypropylene" which is what the housing and much of the liquid-contact surfaces are made from.

Latest posts

Back