Yet Another 12v Pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d be very careful of that pump; it looks like a knockoff of the Grundfos recirculation pump.
The impeller is attached to the rotor and the whole thing is lubricated by a thin film of whatever you are pumping. With sugary wort over time there is a build-up between the rotor and the bucket it sits in – they inevitably choke and smoke, sometimes rather spectacularly.
Mark

Mark

Interesting comment. How does the Grundfos knock off - that would be - correct me if I am wrong - very similar to the type of recirc pump used in the Braumeister, compare?

I have looked at getting the type of pump (Vortex BM) from a mate of mine in Germany but wondered exactly that - they arent mag drive and are likely quite low clearance.

RM

As promised, I gave the rig a run and was very pleased with the performance of these little fellas. They deliver at a much better rate than the old 240V washing machine pumps I was using and I dont cringe when the cooling water drips all over them. The variable speed makes delivery control a breeze and stripping them down later, revealed no sign of any damage or corrosion, nor was there any indication of retained crap from hops or grain. All in all, a pleasing purchase.

Thanks for the feedback Tony.

Latest posts

Back