Yeasty Stink

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezza79

Reaction score
hello all,

i have just racked a cascade golden harvest into it's secondary this evening and it has a foul yeasty stink and taste. the beer was brewed at an almost constant 22-24 deg.
this is the second time it has happened and both times was with cascade, the first was a cascade choc mahogany.
the pack said the usual brew between 18-28 so i was guessing it wasn't lager yeast.
has anyone had this? will it just clear out? should i chuck it out like the last one?

any answers would help.

thanks..........jeremy

Welcome to AHB Jeremy!

Ive never (in my kit days) done a cascade can, but my advice would be, if you 've already done one, with the same result and tipped it, i'd keep this one and see how it goes. Only way to learn how a brew behaves and matures/improves over time. It may not get any better at all, but atleast if you keep this one, you will know for sure for the next time it happens. And as much as we say "never again" there will be a next time....

*bignath goes and looks in a mirror.....

And i probably wouldn't ferment any can brew at those temps. Not crazy hot by any stretch, but if it were me, i'd try and get it below 20. I've had good results from other cans fermented around 16-18deg's...and yes, it will be an ale yeast with that can (or an ale lager combo).

Hey Jeremy, just keep in mind that fermenting beer does not smell like beer....it does have a rather nasty stink(in the fermenter) that does settle away.

If you had the same smell in your first batch then I think this is all your smelling.

Also if it hasnt fermented out fully you can get unusual tastes, as Nath says let it finish and bottle to see what it does,
as an apparent newbie you may be confusing 'normal' ferment smells for 'bad' ferment smells.

Would hate to see you throwing beer that you dont need to.

Hey Jeremy, just keep in mind that fermenting beer does not smell like beer....it does have a rather nasty stink(in the fermenter) that does settle away.

Actually Jeremy this could be it. Not sure why i didn't pick it up as a possibility, but when you "smell" your fermenting beer, does it make your nose tingle?

Seriously, if it does, and you get a "surprised shock" sort of reaction when you are smelling it, it's most likely CO2 (which is a normal byproduct of fermenting wort - or fermenting beer if it's a 'draught clone in which case it's made by beer already... :blink: )

If it annoys the nostrils, it's most likely the CO2. Nothing to worry about mate (if that's what it is).

Put it in a bottle/keg - good times ahead!

As a side note, why are you smelling the beer? Unless your dry hopping, racking to secondary fermenting vessel, or kegging/bottling, keep the lid (or gladwrap) on the fermenter until she's done.

Let us know if this is what you're smellin'.....

it's not the normal fermenting smell (which i quite like), all sugar has fermented out and it is now in the secondary.
not only can you smell it but the taste is not right.
i have brewed 100's of beers at this temp (not that they have all turned out nice) but this stink is not right!
i just don't want to hold up keg space if it won't clear.

Latest posts

Back