Wyeast kolsch 2565 starting times

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loechels450

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers Iv got a question about the kolsch 2565 yeast
I pitched it yesterday into a 1.40 brew at 22 deg it's been almost 24 hrs and there is no sign of it starting just wondering if anyone else has had this
I did not make a starter but the smack pick did swell but not to the point were it was super tight
It also was 7 months olds
Any help would be great

Being 7 months old it will take a while but it should fire up.

I reckon between the 36-48 hour mark you should see some visual activity.

Thanks cliifo I'll keep an eye on it
I got another pack of 2565 was thinking about making a starter for it and re pitching if nothing happens

If the MFD was in Jan I would of made a 2 step starter
500mm first then 4 litres on top to get a good slurry for say a 1050 beer
Takes a bit of time as I chill & tip used beer off starter before pitching
Great yeast by the way :D

Thanks rude would there be any benefit it I made a starter with a new pack and re pitched even if it starts ?

I would. If there wasn't much viable yeast in what you pitched, it probably won't attenuate fully.

Last edited:
Thanks rude would there be any benefit it I made a starter with a new pack and re pitched even if it starts ?

Dont know if you use a yeast calculator or not but there are a couple out there
Type in the mfd
Type of yeast 2565 being a hybrid
Type of starter eg stir plate ,intermittent shaking
It will give you the require starter size (number of cells) required for a given og
Mr Malty , Yeast calc Brewers Friend to name a couple

Ok I have done the maths and based on what I pitched and the date of yeast I am massively under
I have started a new yeast but will have to do a 2 stage starter (thanks rude) will this do any harm it's going to be a few day befor I can pitch it
Or has the damage been done

Too late I say
Throw a pkt of Notto at it ????
I recon put it down to a learning curve
You need time to prep youre yeast especially a 2 stage starter at least a week before

It has started this morning when I checked with a good krausen I'll sit it out I think and see what happens
Thanks for all your advise

Back