Shortest time till krausen dropped

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyQLD

Reaction score
Did a bit of a google last night but couldn't find anything on the topic. I pitched two fermenters on Sunday night, one with 1098 and one with 1084 and both have done the same thing.

I know I pitched slightly warm at around 22 degrees and both smack packs were about 1 month old, so they swelled straight away but 24 hours later i was expecting the usual krausen to have formed.

Instead I had a yeast ring and it looked as if the krausen has dropped already.

It's also not very thick.

I haven't taken a gravity reading since at day 2 I normally wouldn't expect much, and all the other signs of fermentation are there so I'm less worried and more paranoid than anything.

Relax don't worry?

Anyone else had something that quick?

Take a gravity reading. That way if its at FG already you dont have to be paranoid anymore. If not, test gravity again a couple of days later to see if its lower.

Didn't bother with the gravity check until tonight since I didn't see a point in doing one earlier, everything seemed to be going to plan anyway so why worry too much?

Anyway, we're at the 72 hour mark and F.G. is bang on 1.012 - where I had some yeast rafts on the surface yesterday she's now dropped like a stone. I'll give it some more time to condition then keg it, but it looks like I'm off to CB this weekend for some more grain, I've got two empty cubes that need filling.

What yeast did you use? I have had this happen to me once when using s04 on a beer about 1.065OG. The krausen dropped out quickly but fermentation time was still normal.

Back