Yeasty Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reviled

Reaction score
Hey guys

Thought id ask a question about yeast kicking off and all that...

I brewed up two batches in the weekend, a Smurtos Golden Ale, and my Unspeakable Pale Ale...

I cubed the Unspeakable, and no chilled Smurto's Ale in the kettle, and then pitched a rehydrated pack of US-05 on each of them at the same time... The Unspeakable had an OG of 1044, and Smurto's had an OG of 1042 and my question is...

Woke up this morning, Smurto's Ale is bubbling away, and absolutely nothing is happening with the Unspeakable...

Why??? Same yeast, both rehydrated, pitched the same time??? Im confused :huh:

I take it they were pitched last night?

could be several things. Maybe the GA got more oxygen into it when transferred into the fermenter than the Unspeakable. The yeast was different packs, even though it was the same type. Maybe one had less viable cells in it, perhaps older manufacture date, or different storage conditions before you bought it, or who knows what. Perhaps the GA has a higher proportion of simple fermentables in the wort due to diffrent grain bills and mash regimens. And maybe more break made it into the fermenter on one, providing more nutrients for the yeast.

Either way, there are a few things that could cause this. My money would be on differant levels of aeration. I had a concentrated wort double batch, which I then split, topped up, and pitched from literally the same yeast (enough slurry from the same bottle for both, split and then pitched at the correct rate), and had a similar thing. One fired right up, the other one took almost 24 hours.

Don't stress, give it some more time. IMO, if there are no signs of fermentation starting (other than the airlock) 24hrs after pitching, then it's time to reconsider your options.

I take it they were pitched last night?

could be several things. Maybe the GA got more oxygen into it when transferred into the fermenter than the Unspeakable. The yeast was different packs, even though it was the same type. Maybe one had less viable cells in it, perhaps older manufacture date, or different storage conditions before you bought it, or who knows what. Perhaps the GA has a higher proportion of simple fermentables in the wort due to diffrent grain bills and mash regimens. And maybe more break made it into the fermenter on one, providing more nutrients for the yeast.

Either way, there are a few things that could cause this. My money would be on differant levels of aeration. I had a concentrated wort double batch, which I then split, topped up, and pitched from literally the same yeast (enough slurry from the same bottle for both, split and then pitched at the correct rate), and had a similar thing. One fired right up, the other one took almost 24 hours.

Don't stress, give it some more time. IMO, if there are no signs of fermentation starting (other than the airlock) 24hrs after pitching, then it's time to reconsider your options.

Cheers Butters, appreciate it... They were the same yeasts from the same shop, with the same batch number... But aeration could well be the case... Ill see what happens and if nothing by tomorrow morning ill get some more yeast...

:icon_offtopic: SWMBO just rung to say my package has arrived, liquid yeast here I come :beerbang:

No worries mate.

What I'm about to say may cause some people to go into convulsions, rolling around on the floor with looks of horror on their face screaming "Unclean! Unclean!" and pointing in an accusatory manner, but....

If your satisfied that your sanitation is 100% up to snuff, one option that you have, given how vigorously the GA kicked off, is to top skim some yeast off that if it is at high krausen, and immediatly pitch it into the offending brew.

And before its said...yes opening the fermenter and top skimming introduces an increased risk of infection, and it would open a risk of cross contamination between the two.....life is full of risks. It's also about calculating risk.

Just putting it forward as an option....

Go the krausen pitch or pitch another packet of yeast, both should work and are cheap.

Also try rousing the fermenter, cant do any harm.

One question are you only uising the airlock as a sign of fermentation? if so it may just be a problem with your seals. If you are gettin a good foam on top and no bubbles dont worry and let it run its course.

Hey guys

Thought id ask a question about yeast kicking off and all that...

I brewed up two batches in the weekend, a Smurtos Golden Ale, and my Unspeakable Pale Ale...

I cubed the Unspeakable, and no chilled Smurto's Ale in the kettle, and then pitched a rehydrated pack of US-05 on each of them at the same time... The Unspeakable had an OG of 1044, and Smurto's had an OG of 1042 and my question is...

Woke up this morning, Smurto's Ale is bubbling away, and absolutely nothing is happening with the Unspeakable...

Why??? Same yeast, both rehydrated, pitched the same time??? Im confused :huh:

Also is your fermenter airtight? May be leaking through the lid instead of the airlock.

Im sure it will be bubbling shortly though... you can always sneak a hydrometer reading also to see if its changed...

Cheers guys, fermenter seems air tight, but theres no condensation or krausen, and I never rely on the airlock these days :p

So skimming the krausen? Do I just skim say, half a cup? With what??? A sanitised coffee cup or something?

I wont do anything till tomorrow morning, ill give it a chance first...

Cheers guys, fermenter seems air tight, but theres no condensation or krausen, and I never rely on the airlock these days :p

Do I just skim say, half a cup? With what??? A sanitised coffee cup or something?

About that. Coffee cup, soup ladle, whatever. Just make sure its well sanatised, inside and out, and be sensible with how long you have it open and where, all the usual precautions.

Give it time. If they were pitched at the same temp I would be suprised if its not going when you get home. 24hrs lag time is perfectly normal.

The other thing that would have an influenced is pitching temp

Kabooby :)

Give it time. If they were pitched at the same temp I would be suprised if its not going when you get home. 24hrs lag time is perfectly normal.

Doh!!! Of course, pitching temp... Duuuuuh... :eek:

Ok, so that might be what it is... The GA was pitched at 30 and then put in the bath with cold water and a wet towel over it, the Unspeakable was pitched at 22...

So I guess I know why now :rolleyes: Cheers guys

top skim some yeast off that if it is at high krausen, and immediatly pitch it into the offending brew.

Eee-up, Bootters lad, does tha' mean skim summat off top of t' ale like us does in Yorkshire ???

13078928.AYorkshireSquare.JPG

:p :p :p

Eee-up, Bootters lad, does tha' mean skim summat off top of t' ale like us does in Yorkshire ???

View attachment 22056

:p :p :p

Aye, right, monkey. But there's nowt as queer as fowk, and summ'll allus be maudlin o'er t'risks. :lol:

Edit: If ya need summat f'tha, they sell coal rakes in Brighouse.

+1

plus different wort composition etc - all affect lag time

Back