Yeast: which retailers follow storage specifications?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bingggo

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Newbie question, perhaps, but I notice most yeasts have manufacturer storage specifications, and I wondered if people know of which retailers follow these.

For example, S-04 is meant to be stored below 10 degrees,and used within 7 days of opening.

In Tas, the Hobart and Moonah brew shops seem not to follow this for different reasons. Hobart refrigerates it, but it looks like they open bulk containers and repackage in little ziplock bags (eg. selling outside the 7 days). Moonah sells it in original sachets, but apparently at room temperature (it's just on the shelf, not sure if they stick it in the fridge overnight).

That said, I have bough S-04 and S-05 from Hobart in the ziplock bags, and it seems to have worked fine. But maybe it might work better if stored properly?

Cheers,
B

Just because it works doesn't make it best practice. I'd contact the shop directly and if they don't give your yeast the best possible chance i'd look to buy elsewhere.

bingggo said:
Hi folks,

Newbie question, perhaps, but I notice most yeasts have manufacturer storage specifications, and I wondered if people know of which retailers follow these.

For example, S-04 is meant to be stored below 10 degrees,and used within 7 days of opening.

In Tas, the Hobart and Moonah brew shops seem not to follow this for different reasons. Hobart refrigerates it, but it looks like they open bulk containers and repackage in little ziplock bags (eg. selling outside the 7 days). Moonah sells it in original sachets, but apparently at room temperature (it's just on the shelf, not sure if they stick it in the fridge overnight).

That said, I have bough S-04 and S-05 from Hobart in the ziplock bags, and it seems to have worked fine. But maybe it might work better if stored properly?

Cheers,
B
Just because that are a home brew shop, doesn't mean they know what they are doing, talking about or follow best practice. I'd do what the manufacturer suggests (in most cases) and find a new shop which follows those recommendations. US-05/04, Notto, liquids etc should all be stored in the fridge and not exposed to major fluctuations in temperature. If they are kept on the shelf then I'd be shopping elsewhere. If you can't get them in their original sachets, then i'd also be shopping elsewhere.

As to the topic question "which retailers follow storage specifications?" I'd say the good/reputable ones do and the ones to avoid don't.

JD

Most LHBS are run for distillers by owners who don't seem to know a lot about beer making. So the yeast usually ends up on the shelf near the essences etc. The exceptions would be the well run establishments such as Country Brewer or Brewers Choice that are franchises presumably with a company "training course" for new owners.

edit: of course I'm not including the likes of H'Bay, ESB, Marks or Ross as being LHBSs they are obviously the Gold Standard.

I'd avoid LHBS where the home brew department is only one iron in the fire, for example a couple of stores I was forced to use in QLD. One sold garden gnomes and the other sold industrial safety wear. My LHBS in Taree is actually the other half of a Thai restaurant. Handy for dex etc, in fact you have to climb over sacks of the stuff to get in :ph34r:

Really nice spring rolls.

I thought room temp in Hobart would be 10c anyway :)
I would look somewhere else, there are a few online retailers who will express post in a bag with an ice pack. If you buy 3-4 and store them your seld it could work out well for you. Im not in Tas so cant comment on where is good.
If your having trouble look into yeast farming or yeast rinsing. This will allow YOU to care for your precious and keep it in good health.

Back