Yeast Stater

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sic_vl

Reaction score
Im going to do my first yeast starter in a couple of days. Ive been reading up on it a little and everyones got a a different way to do it. So i thought i would ask my trusty AHB members what is the best way to do it? Or post a link for a AHB thread on it. I cant seem to find one on this forum.
Thanks in advance.

Pretty simple really. just add 100g/litre of DME to water and boil for 10mins. Cool it to ambient. Shake the shit out of it to introduce oxygen. Add yeast. Every time you think of it, shake it again for more oxygen and to keep from settling on the bottom. After 24/36hrs chuck it in with your wort. Done.

Not necessary if using dry yeast. Just rehydrate in pre-boiled ambient temp water in a sanatised glass. Stir it in and let it sit for 30mins or so. Then add to wort.

For correct pitching rates, depending on strain, volume and starting gravity... check out MrMalty

1 cup of DME (Dry malt extract) to 2 pints of water. Gets me about 1.040 every time.

Boil it for 20mins, cooldown, pour into your container of choice (flask or growler or large bottle), throw in yeast and bung airlock or gladwrap/alfoil on top.

Leave for 24-36 hours giving it a swish as you walk past every now and then (or get/make a stirplate if you feel the need - then this is done for you).

Foolproof! and it really does make a big difference to the beer.

Every time you think of it, shake it again for more oxygen and to keep from settling on the bottom.

Just be careful that you don't shake it to vigorously after its been fermenting for a while or you might end up a vegemite smelling kitchen.... they can fizz up quite easily as the Co2 comes out of suspension.

I just give it a swirl....

Excellent, Thanks for the replies. The thing ive really been thinking about the most is pitching. Ive read some people pitch the whole starter, others pitch the settled yeast only.
Im thinking ill just pitch the settled yeast.

Im going to do my first yeast starter in a couple of days. Ive been reading up on it a little and everyones got a a different way to do it. So i thought i would ask my trusty AHB members what is the best way to do it? Or post a link for a AHB thread on it. I cant seem to find one on this forum.
Thanks in advance.
Batz's thread from a few years back
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...arting%20wyeast
And one from the articles section on all things yeast
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=20

Excellent, Thanks for the replies. The thing ive really been thinking about the most is pitching. Ive read some people pitch the whole starter, others pitch the settled yeast only.
Im thinking ill just pitch the settled yeast.

I always let mine settle over night in the fridge to drop as much out of suspension as possible. As i use a stir plate, the starter beer ends up pretty oxidized and i don't want that to affect the flavour of the main batch.

Take it out of the fridge, let it warm up slowly within 5C of the main wort, pour off the starter wort and just pitch the thick slurry.

Thanks in advance.
A dedicated 'Yeast' forum would make things much easier to find here, but since we don't have that, here's my take on yeast-starters: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=54900 :)

Can you make a yeast starter with dry yeast to increase cell count to avoid pitching multiple packets for a high gravity beer or a lager?

Can you make a yeast starter with dry yeast to increase cell count to avoid pitching multiple packets for a high gravity beer or a lager?
Yes, indeed you can, its really not at all different from stepping up a yeast starter from just about any seed culture. I'd suggest use the online calculators like Mr Malty, which even has a dried yeast tab now. :icon_cheers:

Yes, indeed you can, its really not at all different from stepping up a yeast starter from just about any seed culture. I'd suggest use the online calculators like Mr Malty, which even has a dried yeast tab now. :icon_cheers:
It seems everywhere I lOok it says not to make a starter with dry yeast, does anyone on here do this? I want to make a 25 litre batch of bohemian pilsner and beersmith recommends 2.5 packs of dry Swiss lager yeast, I'd like to avoid using this much yeast as it's quite expensive and would like to make a starter if it's a worthwhile oPtion, any help or advice would be much appreciated, cheers Josh

You can use Mr Malty's calculator to determine the starter size.

Step 1) Work out how many viable yeast cells you have in your packet of dry yeast

To do this go to the http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html then the Dry Yeast tab, enter your OG, beer style and volume, and the date for viability.

Mr Malty will then tell you how viable your yeast is (76%?) many yeast cells you need (300 billion?) and how many packets of yeast 1.6? etc

Divide the yeast cells by the packets of yeast to get the number of viable cells in your yeast packet

in my example, that's 300/1.6 = 187.5

So, you have about 188 billion cells in your 11g packet of yeast.

Step 2) Determine how big a starter you need given your desired number of cells and your starting number of cells

Now go to the the liquid tab

Enter 188% as the viability, and that will trick the calculator into starting with 188 billion cells (yes really!)

Choose your starter type, and growth ratio, etc, and Mr Malty will spit out the starter size

for my 40L of 1.040 Ale with Intermittant Shaking you need a 1.21L starter.

Good luck ;)

Hi Josh,
its probably best to distinguish between 'not to make a starter' or 'a starter isn't necessary'. The issue of whether a starter is required or not for dry yeast has been flogged to death, but the consensus seems to be that in circumstances where there's an appropriately handled pack of dry yeast of sufficient mass and a stock wort involved, then no it shouldn't be required. However, in your circumstances where you're using a calculator (I don't know if BS' is any good), at LHBS rates buying a minimum of three packs or making a starter from just one seems to be a no- brainer, at least IMO. Also, a Pils is probably not the sort of beer you would want to risk under- pitching, however you might be able to get away with it in some circumstances.
My advice is to try it, see if it works adequately- if so and you're prepared to go through that process of propagating a starter and pitching it then I think you will be making no small savings, particularly if you re- use the slurry either as a seed culture or as it is. That's where a lot of savings can be made, many of us brew several batches using the same yeast sequentially, I seldom start with a fresh pack of yeast for every batch, maybe the first few kits I ever made but that was about it. Some folks don't feel confident to propagate a starter hygienically, or have the time and the small amount of equipment required, that's fine too and in which case the extra packs would be a sensible investment.

A dedicated 'Yeast' forum would make things much easier to find here, but since we don't have that, here's my take on yeast-starters: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=54900 :)

There is so much people need to know and learn about about yeast that a dedicated yeast forum would be handy. Especially for people wanting to learn more like myself. It was hard to find the info I was after thats why I started this thread.

By the way my yeast starter worked out fine, using some yeast I washed from a couple of batches ago. Thanks for the thread and pictures you posted Wolfy.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a stirrer sic? What are you starting? dregs from a coopers, orval, liquid pack
Lots of pros n cons, moreso cons when it comes to yeast.
But for sure dump the liquid from the starter in some circumstances, I would never dump the liquid if I was pitching within 12 hours and the wort was from the brew I am brewing, in effect I am pitching an active starter. If it was a starter I propagated, I dump the beer.

Do you have a stirrer sic? What are you starting? dregs from a coopers, orval, liquid pack
Lots of pros n cons, moreso cons when it comes to yeast.
But for sure dump the liquid from the starter in some circumstances, I would never dump the liquid if I was pitching within 12 hours and the wort was from the brew I am brewing, in effect I am pitching an active starter. If it was a starter I propagated, I dump the beer.

No I dont have a stirrer, I dont know what it is. As I mentioned above I was starting yeast that I had washed from a couple of batches ago. It was US05. The starter was about 36 hours old I poored out most of the liquid and with the bit i had left I swirled it around to mix in the yeast that had settled then pitched it. Not sure if thats the correct thing to do but it seems to be fermenting fine.

Stirplate to continually stir/agitate the yeast. If you do this throughout growing the starter, you can oxidise the wort/beer on top in which case you would discard and use just the slurry. If treating it more gently you probably need to wait longer but can use all the liquid if so desired.

Latest posts

Back