Yeast Starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rude

Reaction score
I have had good advice of how to culture the yeast of a stubbie of say coopers. But still have a couple of questions. Use 2 yeast slurries from 2 stubbies & start with 100ml of water to 10 grams of malt or could I just use 1 stubby.
Then step up after it has fermented or could I do this at the height of fermentation? to 1 litre to 100grams of malt.

Then again do I wait for it to fully ferment or do I pitch at the height of fermentation.

If I wait for complete fermentation could I decant & pitch the slurrie or is it best to pitch the full 1litre starter.

youre advice is greatly appriciated

from learned brewer

yep sounds good but do you pitch high kreusen & do you pitch the lot?????? after it happens

Heu Rude, this is one of those time you'll ask 6 brewers and get 8 different answers. Stepping up I don't belive it matters that much, though I tend to wait till ferementation has ceased, meaning you've hopefully got the largest cell count. Conversely when pitching into a beer, I pitch at active Krausen, just to try and minimise lag time, the yeast is already fired up and going, so why slow it down. Some brewers advocate the decanting of the slurry prior to pitching, basically cool it right down in the fridge, to drop all the yeast out of suspension, then decant and pitch. I temp control my starters so that I know the beer the yeast is bred in is OK to use, so I don't bother decanting, seems a bit backwards to wake the yeast up with a starter, but then to put it to sleep peioe to pitching. Others think differently, that's the fun of brewing.

just tried 100ml water 10 grams malt the perfect 1040. Simmered for 8 mins cooled , got 1080.

Thanks Mika you have to do it to know it .

So I didnt allow for boil off.

I recon you have to double youre water to get youre 1040 for a good starter malt

Cheers buttersd some good tips there thank you

Stubby to 1litre flagon to 22litre brew & yeast was away in 7 hours bubbling that is.

Thanks for all youre advice

Back