Yeast Starter/sample Colour?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
I have just done up my second liquid yeast and somthing I noticed was the coloured were a lot different.

See in the photo.

The lefthand side is White Labs German Lager and the righthand side is Wyeast Pilsen Lager

Is this normal and does this say something about different yeasts give a different colour?

starter_colour.jpg

Is that using the same packet of dme Slugger?

No, not the same packet but from the same store so I doubt it would be different...

Unless it was, the colour looked the same as it always does.

Yeasts do not affect beer colour.

I would suggest it was the concentration of malt extract in you starter solution.

What ratio of water to extract do you use in your starters sluggerdog?

C&B
TDA

It could be that White labs and wyeast store their yeast in different coloured nutrient medium?

Could also be a dustier yeast causing cloudiness.

Suspended yeast makes wort look lighter.

Just a thought.

Warren -

Your HBS could very well have sourced the DME from another source. Age will affect colour too.

Also, the length of boil of your starter solution will affect the colour, as well as the comments already posted.

When making small volumes of wort (read starters) it's very easy to scorch on the bottom of the pot.

I wait for the water to boil, remove the pot from the stove, add malt extract, stir to dissolve then return to the boil.

Warren -

I found that to be deadly, the wort foams everywhere. The malt particles act as nucleation sites and the dissolved gases erupt as foam.

Now, I heat the water to about 60-80, remove the saucepan from the heat, stir in the DME and dissolve it, then continue heating.

Nothing like a good boilover.

warrenlw63 said:
I wait for the water to boil, remove the pot from the stove, add malt extract, stir to dissolve then return to the boil.

Warren -
[post="48383"][/post]​

This is what I do.

Anyway the colour doesn't worry me, just thought I would ask to see if it could have been the yeast that changed the colour.

It could also be the darker one has been in the fridge for 4 weeks now and the ligher one only went in 2 days ago.

Thanks for your replies

pint of lager said:
Nothing like a good boilover.
[post="48385"][/post]​

POL. Ever noticed that boilovers only occur when you've turned your back? Strange! :eek:

:chug: Warren -

sluggerdog said:
warrenlw63 said:

Warren -
[post="48383"][/post]​

This is what I do.

Anyway the colour doesn't worry me, just thought I would ask to see if it could have been the yeast that changed the colour.

It could also be the darker one has been in the fridge for 4 weeks now and the ligher one only went in 2 days ago.

Thanks for your replies
[post="48387"][/post]​

Probably the suspended yeast theory then Sluggerdog.

Warren -

I have just bought a kilo Pale liquid malt from my lhbs for my starters, and I am not happy. It is definately darker than the last batch I bought and does not smell as fresh either. After making up my usual starter it looks more the color of an amber malt, certainly not pale.

I think this is malt that has been sitting to long and is nearing the end of its use by date.
I once bought a tin of mogans pale unhopped malt that was out of date and it was almost BLaCK.

Seems like the answer to your dark brew Slugger.....

For small volume starters, I use DME, easy to weigh out small quantities. For large volume starters, I use cheap supermarket kits. PLus of course, secret blends of micronutrients.

The starter wort doesn't end up in my beer. So I am not too concerned about any unusual extract flavours.

Ross said:
Seems like the answer to your dark brew Slugger.....
[post="48425"][/post]​

Yeah maybe but I do not think mine was out of date, my LOCAL HBS would go though a box or 2 of these cans every week or so (he's always running out) so I doubt it was only malt...

Back